antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: festy's Alfa Romeo Alfetta GTV

Post by antus »

I think it will kinda work. But it will depend on the update frequency of your GPS. 200ms aint bad if it can update itself and output frames that quickly. 1 second might be too laggy to use.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
festy
cars: Alfa Romeos

Post by festy »

Most cheap GPS modules will update at 5Hz (eg this one) - 10Hz modules are still a bit pricey though.

Assuming gps.f_speed_kmph() blocks and waits for the next $GPRMC sentence, a 200ms delay would miss every second update so a shorter delay would probably be better.
I don't have a speedo, so even a slow update rate is better than what I've currently got :oops:
If this doesn't work out I'll re-visit adding a 'real' VSS but I haven't come up with an easy way to do that yet.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

maybe some kind of ABS reluctor sensor on the driveline somewhere? Ive been wanting to try this but havnt had a chance yet.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
festy

Post by festy »

I've got a hall effect sensor set aside for the VSS, but alfettas have a transaxle so the tailshaft runs at engine speed :(
Counting bolt heads on the driveshafts is about my only option, but still won't be straight forward... hence the appeal of using a GPS.

I started mocking up my exhaust manifold today, the 25nb primaries really do look way too small.
Grafting a T3 flange on might take a bit of thinking too, it's ID is larger than the pipe's OD :wtf:
manifold_turbo.jpg
manifold_turbo.jpg (96.53 KiB) Viewed 4597 times
bldnut
cars: VT S/C V8 Clubsport Gas injected
VQ 6L stato Gas injected (un finished project)
VR 5L stato Gas injected
HZ T/Ramed straight gas
EK 202 straight Gas injection run of a v6 delco computer
VP V6 worked with bug catcher (sold)
VH V8 straight gas (sold)

Post by bldnut »

how about an abs sensor on the front disc, that way there will be no false reading's due to wheel spin
with the turbo on my merc i used a 3" steam pipe tee and welded the flange on the end. the rest of the manifold was made out of 2.5" steam pipe and the 3" t just slid over
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

might be ok primary size if you go 4 into 1, like how delcowizzid made his
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

and 4 into 1 is easy compared to 3 into 1 LOL.i would be doiing 4 singles into a merge just cause youre at this point and it will run better for not a lot more effort.a 4 pipe merge is very easy to make make 2x2 pipe merges with 43* cut on each pipe then you just make the same 43* cuts on you 2 merges and wallaa 4 pipe merge collector :D
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah if you can fit 4 into one I agree, otherwise i'd step up the pipes where the front and rear meet the centre two and even if you put 90's on them to turn them into the turbo flange and blend them into one big one at that point.

after doing the turbo manifold for the Gemini I am well aware of space available for a manifold so hopefully you have plenty of it :P

it looks like you have a wastegate in the turbo, but just for general information, if you are fitting an external gate, try and make the pipe from it enter the manifold on an angle that makes it flow out of the manifold and into the gate at a nice angle, 90 degrees will work, but of you can do less angle that will help, and definitely don't want the angle more than 90!!
festy

Post by festy »

Progress has been pretty slow lately, but the job list is getting smaller...
Rebuilding the rear brakes was a fun job - it took me 3 weeks to get the first caliper off the car due to a couple of frozen bolts and very limited access (the rears are inboard) but luckilly the other side was all done in a couple of hours.

I finished the fuel lines, not entirely happy with one section of the return line that hangs a bit low so I might end up replacing that bit with some hose so I can route it better.
The fuel tank had started leaking from a previous repair (and was full of rust anyway) so I ripped it out and fitted a 15L fuel cell in the boot.
Mounting it was a bit of a PITA because it's got a sloped sump - which might make the surge tank unnecessary, but with such a small capacity the extra volume of the surge tank might be a good thing ;)
fuel_cell.jpg
fuel_cell.jpg (148.48 KiB) Viewed 4483 times
And on the subject of surge tanks - I noticed mine has been leaking from a pin hole in the weld of the lowest port :evil: The guy who made it is still selling them on ebay, so I assume his QC must have improved since mine.

I picked up a 2nd hand seat to replace my one that badly needs re-covering (a project for when I run out of other things to do) but it's taken me 3 days and a bunch of bracket redesigns to get the stupid thing installed and I still think my helmet will be too close to the roll cage :rant:
new_seat.jpg
new_seat.jpg (159.09 KiB) Viewed 4483 times
I also knocked up a quick and dirty gear knob, getting 1st gear was a bit of a stretch with the harness tightened and this makes a big difference
gearstick.jpg
gearstick.jpg (96.58 KiB) Viewed 4483 times
I also started on the rear bulkhead - because the fuel system is in the boot, I need to construct a firewall between the boot and the cabin and at the moment it's one big open space...

Cutting the first piece:
bh1.jpg
bh1.jpg (100.15 KiB) Viewed 4483 times
yay it fits
bh2.jpg
bh2.jpg (127.76 KiB) Viewed 4483 times