T5 shifter?

For non EFI mechanical discussion
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: T5 shifter?

Post by immortality »

vlad01 wrote:I don't really get the shift stops.

As far as I see the T5 has built in stops already and why would it be a problem? is it for those that just keep pushing in the gear and drive around holding onto the shifter? Because apparently that the new cool thing to do when driving a manual these days.

and you have a point, looks like they would only work in 3/4 and no where else. I'd just throw them out just for the sake of fitting the boot on and seems like an after thought anyway.
You can feel it when you push to hard on the shifter. I played around with my stops until I was happy with em. Box copped plenty of abuse over the years and was still going strong last time it was driven.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: T5 shifter?

Post by vlad01 »

See I got my old box up to 600k with consistent abuse and still went like a champ so I can't see how they would make the situation better than it is.
VK_3800
Posts: 578
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:15 am
cars: SS Torana
Location: NZ

Re: T5 shifter?

Post by VK_3800 »

Shifter stops allow you to exercise less mechanical sympathy without major repercussions. So when you're drag racing you can slam the Muncie between gears as hard as you like without lifting off the throttle and losing precious hundredths, and when something breaks its just the stick rather than the forks inside the box (or worse). This applies somewhat less to a T5 which will just clean the teeth off third gear anyway.
User avatar
Gareth
Posts: 2678
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:37 am
Location: Bacchus Marsh, Vic

Re: T5 shifter?

Post by Gareth »

I agree with the above
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: T5 shifter?

Post by vlad01 »

I still believe that is just for incapable drivers. You can do extremely fast shifts without smashing the lever, it should be an autonomous sub conscious action.
User avatar
Gareth
Posts: 2678
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:37 am
Location: Bacchus Marsh, Vic

Re: T5 shifter?

Post by Gareth »

You can do extremely fast shifts without smashing the lever, it should be an autonomous sub conscious action.
it is, just hard to do mixed with adrenaline...
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: T5 shifter?

Post by vlad01 »

Biggvl wrote:
You can do extremely fast shifts without smashing the lever, it should be an autonomous sub conscious action.
it is, just hard to do mixed with adrenaline...
I disagree with that, It gets better I reckon. Especially rev match down shifts lol. If anything my pedals are the ones getting flogged the most.
VK_3800
Posts: 578
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:15 am
cars: SS Torana
Location: NZ

Re: T5 shifter?

Post by VK_3800 »

T5s and T56s (etc) have friction lined synchros which give a smoother feel (albeit slowing shifts a bit), they're quite different to a plain brass synchro box which can require additional force to ensure the blocking ring does its job and the shift goes through. The easiest way to make sure you have enough force at high revs and loads is to use too much. We're not talking quick/smooth shifts here either; we're talking driveline-smashing, good fun with a box that will handle it (which may not use standard synchros, or even synchros at all).

I think T5s have internal shift stops too, not as good as solid shifter stops but still goes some way toward making the shifter ones unnecessary. You're right that you will never need them for a standard T5 because something else is guaranteed to break first, and the V6 doesn't have the grunt or the revs to require it. But its cheap to build good quality shifters with them and some people persist with the little old T5 for more serious stuff (e.g. rule restricted race classes). These shifters are the same basic design for all transmissions, they are not completely T5-specific.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: T5 shifter?

Post by vlad01 »

Just to throw a spanner in the works. One issue I know exists but is totally over looked when changing shifter, stick and knobs. Weight! its important.

Ever changed a T5 quick without a knob? it goes crunch. shift with 2 fingers down low on the stick, crunch! Shorter throw shifter often does the same thing so to over come this you ram them harder.

When the throw is reduced the weight of the complete stick has less leverage on the shift rail allowing the syncros to sort of bounce and one the brake ring jumps back the syncro hub crunches.

OEM design the knobs to have a certain weight and are heavy. So really when changing to a short throw the weight of the knob and stick needs to be increased.

I read a really good article many years ago about the physics involved in gear changes and weights of knobs. Heavier knobs to a point improved shifts and reduced syncro wear and damage.

Im starting to think the added shift stops might have some to do with being a solution for having the need to ram into gears and the cause could well be to do with most people changing the stick also to some light weight thing.

I have always noticed when forums talks about one brand of shifter its always divided like night and day. half say great great firm shift, the other says horrible notchy shift. Im almost willing to put money on this theory.
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: T5 shifter?

Post by immortality »

Correct, with a short shifter more effort is required, fitting positive stops helps because you use much force over a much shorter distance. Short shifters are more firm and feel more mechanical at the same time. Seems kind of logical to me after all adding things like heavy self centring springs will mean more effort is required period.