Little workshop of horrors
-
psyolent
- Posts: 1597
- Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:52 am
- cars: VT Berlina Series 2 Wago
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
SY Ford Territory
PD Hyundai nLine
SE Ford Capri
....too many fucking bikes
Re: Little workshop of horrors
Ken, i'd refuse to build that to be honest mate.
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington
VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington
VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
-
HQ355
- Posts: 1217
- Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
- cars: HQ Holden
Re: Little workshop of horrors
I'm with you tanner !
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Little workshop of horrors
I don't get what exactly we are looking at, looks like upholstery no matter how hard I try to visualize what it is.
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
Re: Little workshop of horrors
The top edge of the bore where it's been hit with something by the looks of things?
-
MAGP
- Posts: 665
- Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 7:48 am
- cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.
Re: Little workshop of horrors
Yep, looks like the boring or honing bar hasn't been taken out with care and has chipped the top of the bore taking a gouge out. I've seen some machine shops run a chamfer attachment to remove stuff ups like that but I think that one is to big to hide.immortality wrote:The top edge of the bore where it's been hit with something by the looks of things?
-
Ken
- Posts: 238
- Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:05 pm
Re: Little workshop of horrors
For anyone other than the person I'm building it for, I'd kick it to the kerb & chase another block.psyolent wrote:Ken, i'd refuse to build that to be honest mate.
This fellow does my rego's & other tasks, he want's to risk filling it & trying his luck, he knows the possible outcome is a failure that'll probably
torch the head with it, & he's paying for the job like any other, if it goes, we start again I guess...
I cleaned the deck with the scotchbrite pad in the drill prior to getting it decked so I could seal a peice of perspex on the deck to CC the piston dish an inch down the bore,MAGP wrote:Yep, looks like the boring or honing bar hasn't been taken out with care and has chipped the top of the bore taking a gouge out. I've seen some machine shops run a chamfer attachment to remove stuff ups like that but I think that one is to big to hide.
can't say I remember seeing it then, just after it came back from being decked, & suspiciously all 3 in the same radial position.
Leaves me wondering if the speed of the chop, the amount chopped in one hit, or whether the block has been extreme heat affected in it's life.
-
psyolent
- Posts: 1597
- Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:52 am
- cars: VT Berlina Series 2 Wago
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
SY Ford Territory
PD Hyundai nLine
SE Ford Capri
....too many fucking bikes
Re: Little workshop of horrors
yuck. it might seal up i guess - normally the headgasket has a little bit of wiggle room, if its proud of that mate it might be right.
all 3 cyls in the same position sounds like a machining issue / maybe the cutter was shagged out although that said they do operate in a radial pattern unless there was a lip in the static component that dragged across the block until they realised ...
all 3 cyls in the same position sounds like a machining issue / maybe the cutter was shagged out although that said they do operate in a radial pattern unless there was a lip in the static component that dragged across the block until they realised ...
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington
VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington
VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
-
Gareth
- Posts: 2678
- Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:37 am
- Location: Bacchus Marsh, Vic
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Little workshop of horrors
Whats the hot spot on the side of the rod?
-
Gareth
- Posts: 2678
- Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:37 am
- Location: Bacchus Marsh, Vic
Re: Little workshop of horrors
Well spotted, thats where the bend was hitting the bottom of the bore 
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
