vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Dusto's Tonner

Post by vlad01 »

yeah but you can always make more with a better intake with less boost, no point holding back potential if only few 100 bucks in parts and some modification is all that is required.

Nothing about the average joe engine in this thread. Even with G's NA engine a turbo will make much more so expect a bigger delta with a turbo.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

500rwkw+ breathing through a standard ecotec intake with MACE bits on it. Yep, the average Joe is going to make more then that.....
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

my point is you won't need 40 psi+ to get that with a much less restrictive manifold. Its well known that in NA applications bit over 200kw is the absolute wall hit on aussie manifold regardless of money spent and work done on the engine, plenty of data to support the issue is the manifold.

Also why the come racing upper plenum was all in vane as the issue mainly is with the restriction in the runners of the LIM, it would of been the ultimate manifold if they had also alongside developed a new LIM to suit, something similar to the Ford boss 3.8L v6 engines.

The issue which the US manifold does not have, the cross sectional area inside the US runners are about as big as the external casting of the runners of the Aussie ones, the US ones also have slightly longer runners too not that its really relevant but certainly not going to cause loss of torque.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Nice tonner dusto :thumbup:
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
brindo

Post by brindo »

I am a bit biased but they are a very underrated ute. They drive well, and handle a full tonne. And they take most of the go fast bits that the sedans do. And look good too with a decent tray.

Looking forward to progress on this.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Biggvl wrote:Nice tonner dusto :thumbup:
It sure is.
vlad01 wrote: The issue which the US manifold does not have, the cross sectional area inside the US runners are about as big as the external casting of the runners of the Aussie ones, the US ones also have slightly longer runners too not that its really relevant but certainly not going to cause loss of torque.
Large cross section = slow air velocity at low rpm = poor torque which is where a road car spends most of it's life which means that Holden built a better manifold for a daily driver ;)

So it comes down to vehicle usage, for a race car where low rpm performance isn't a consideration then the larger cross section manifold is the sure bet but for a car where driving manners is important then sacrificing a little peak power to improve road manners is definitely a worthwhile consideration.
dusto
cars: VE Maloo GXP
VY Tonner L67
Captiva
SV1000s
ER6-Race bike

Post by dusto »

hmm so many things to weigh up, it is going to be a street car and does have a bit of weight with the steel tray. i think its about 1700kg all up as it sits now. on the hunt for an alloy tray though.

im all for power under the curve, total HP doesn't always make a fast car.

Yeah the tonner is getting there, it was pretty haggard when i finished with it as a work hack, was one of my company cars, boilermakers are pretty rough lol, vz front end as mine was all beat up anyway, full Calais dash and climate control etc is in there now, new carpet etc ill get some better pics up soon.

I just found some cracks in my valve seats so looks like there heading of the machine shop to get new seats etc, lucky i got them pretty cheap i guess.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Yeah the ecotec heads typically crack between the valves and sometimes the seats in that area too. As far as my observations I have not seen that its common on the late VY engines which are series 2/3 hybrids from the factory. Head casting has a different number to older engines. Heads are the same as series 3 which only the US got full series 3 specs, we got the engines from the states just before full switch over but our last cars to use this engine stopped before that. They continued there making them until 2006. So perhaps look for late VY heads, you can tell as they have 1.84" intake valves vs 1.79" for older ones.
dusto
cars: VE Maloo GXP
VY Tonner L67
Captiva
SV1000s
ER6-Race bike

Post by dusto »

how cheap of a turbo would you guys be brave enough to go, i have a intake filter in the way of a front mount lol

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPER-T70-T3-V ... fresh=true
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

I've run a china turbos on 3 different race cars and never had an issue so far :)