Flashy - Arduino Based Tool From Claude
-
antus
- Site Admin
- Posts: 10012
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
- cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007
Re: Flashy - Arduino Based Tool From Claude
I've created a new forum for AI developed tools. Most tools will have AI as part of the flow these days, so myself and the mods (and even the initial posters) can decide if the tool has used AI heavily enough to be places in to this area. I've moved a couple of threads to get the ball rolling. I think that's going to be the best way to keep the site clean. It's not to say there are problems with AI tools, but it helps the humans who might want to use the software or knowledge know that they are dealing with AI that may work perfect or may have some AI hallucinations in them.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
-
kidturbo
- Posts: 130
- Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:15 am
- cars: Nothing With Wheels
Re: Flashy - Arduino Based Tool From Claude
Here is the original J2534 research I told it dig up. See for yourself.pman92 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2026 6:41 amIt had you thinking you had created a J2534 tool - when in fact there is absolutely nothing in the J2534 spec implemented in your project. It's not J2534. That's not what it is.kidturbo wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2026 6:30 amBut I still review it's work every time now, since it's burned me in the past, while smiling and writing explanations that look perfect, if you don't review it's thinking
I don't disagree AI is here to stay. And I myself use it extensively. But this is not how it should be used. You should be the one controlling the project. Not the AI (which by the way isn't "she", it's a LLM, not a person).
If the AI is telling you it's building a J2534 tool when it's not. If it's telling you it needs to use an SD card because the 115200 baud serial connection is too slow. Then you're giving the AI too much credit and control, and there's something seriously wrong with the basics right there.
You should be the one finding the datasheets for whatever your doing. If you're sending "her" off to get some "agents" to get all these datasheets for you then you're using AI all wrong.
https://kidturbo.github.io/Flashy/J2534 ... rence.html
The original plan as linked above was to make a true Arduino based pass-thru tool, write an api and matching dll. However early testing over USB showed that the Feather M4 can't handle the USB and CANbus load. But sure isn't a POS elm chip device. So no, it's far from being a pass-thru tool at this point. It's 1/20th the size of the Bosch MDI laying here on my desk.
That said, I do have over 600 of my own LPC based devices out in the real world in every conceivable vehicle you can think of. Airfish, Ripsaws, Hammers trucks and three hundred airboats, and some of the fastest inboard boat on the planet. For over 10 years, been the only person who made such a device with code required to do the job. See how far back I go as member in here, or on yellow bullet ect. I was posting CANbus how to, pretty much from the time Craig Smith started. So I understand what I am doing. Playing with my own money is what I call it. And been paying for AI services well over a year now.
This project is just my attempt to validate Vibe Coding as way to keep up. It's all the rave if haven't heard. So I've just let it run. And as stated several time, have yet to even open a related file in this project, besides some html docs I ask it to write up for reference. And if it can shit out a tool that loads bin files for free, and I give it to the masses for free, while paying the bill do it myself, where's your issue with that? Call it what ya want, but I have a $20 board reading and writing bins on several modern ECU with lest than 40 hours invested. What ya have to share?
Forum hearsay is a hypothesis, not a fact. MEMORY.md index updated. ~ Claude AI
-
antus
- Site Admin
- Posts: 10012
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
- cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007
Re: Flashy - Arduino Based Tool From Claude
So.... where is the J2534 pc side driver?
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
-
jakka
- Posts: 130
- Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:51 am
- cars: 6FPAAAJGSW9E86101
- Location: Aus
Re: Flashy - Arduino Based Tool From Claude
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. BRO WHAT A GREAT QUESTION
-
pman92
- Posts: 667
- Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 12:50 pm
- Location: Castlemaine, Vic
Re: Flashy - Arduino Based J2534 Pass Thru Tool From Claude
Hahahakidturbo wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2026 6:52 amThere ya have it, scraped bad data from here. I feel smarter at least...![]()
I'm not even going to comment on this
Because whatever I say, the chatbot is going to say whatever it has to to keep you believing and using and buying tokens.
I suggest you step back and use the thing between your ears and re-read this whole thread and make an unbiased opinion on it yourself. Turn off the AI. Actually use your own human brain.
Or maybe you yourself are just a bot, and do not have a human brain?
I agree this is the best solution. Thank you
-
Tazzi
- Posts: 3626
- Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:53 am
- cars: VE SS Ute
- Location: WA
Re: Flashy - Arduino Based Tool From Claude
I just read so much misinformation since my last message.. that it hurts
Just because AI says something, doesn’t make it right.
Im just going to leave it at that.
Just because AI says something, doesn’t make it right.
Im just going to leave it at that.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726

Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726

-
kidturbo
- Posts: 130
- Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:15 am
- cars: Nothing With Wheels
Re: Flashy - Arduino Based Tool From Claude
If you haven't noticed, the proliferation of really good hacking data in so many disciplines, is at an all time high. Not discovered by humans hiding behind discord groups. But by straight up web apps based in the US, on systems housed in the US, which anyone on the planet can access for a few dollars. Drones are making life and death decisions. Friend or foe, smoke the family in that green truck, or shoot that big green box with long stick beside it. And people with way more power, and far less common since than most in here, are ones leading the charge. Even the US President is posting AI generated images as himself a Jesus. Just one of a dozen something spit out for him, on his Iphone..
Then we have AI generated video becoming harder spot by humans over the last year agreed? Still images, better count fingers and toes, twice.. But if an AI tool reverses some two decade old human written automotive hacking tools, and shares that data, y'all be freaking out like it's judgment day. Yes I fed AI some logs of several tools in action. And it spit out all the goodies. Told me how it did it, and then used that info to hack some other pieces of hardware I gave it to play with. Same process a select few have profited immensely off of for decade'S'. So please forgive me for hurting some butts in here. But your days on top of this game are short. If I'd kept this lesson to myself, and posted the goods it's extracted on discord or foreign sites, every one of you would have downloaded, used, and shared without question. Because we are greedy humans.
As stated on page one, I simply Paid and AI to write me a tool that mimicked the J2534 flashing tools on the markets. And said I wanted to do it on a $20 board I've been playing with for couple years now. I pointed it to some websites, and gave it access to a couple gigs of documents on a PC. Then walked out back to burn one. What it kicked out first try, flashed every ECU in my possession within first 48 hours. Reversed tens of thousands hours of human hacking and coding, in mere hours from the time I typed the first command. Yes it went way off track from SAE J2534 "Standards". But the end result remains the same. It started with just a simple command, and handed me back working running ECU hacking tool, faster than anyone in here could have correctly dissembled one boot sector. So I'd stop whining that it's not producing some perfect high dollar tool you can sell stupid people for big money. For less than a knock off MDI, it designed one, tested, and attempted to release the code for free. Not bad for a human written algo, that spoored from a 90's era chat bot on an old 386
And learning fast it is. After simply telling it not trust Human posts online, but to verify by other sources, it returned me a new Signature that I find most fitting for this thread.

Then we have AI generated video becoming harder spot by humans over the last year agreed? Still images, better count fingers and toes, twice.. But if an AI tool reverses some two decade old human written automotive hacking tools, and shares that data, y'all be freaking out like it's judgment day. Yes I fed AI some logs of several tools in action. And it spit out all the goodies. Told me how it did it, and then used that info to hack some other pieces of hardware I gave it to play with. Same process a select few have profited immensely off of for decade'S'. So please forgive me for hurting some butts in here. But your days on top of this game are short. If I'd kept this lesson to myself, and posted the goods it's extracted on discord or foreign sites, every one of you would have downloaded, used, and shared without question. Because we are greedy humans.
As stated on page one, I simply Paid and AI to write me a tool that mimicked the J2534 flashing tools on the markets. And said I wanted to do it on a $20 board I've been playing with for couple years now. I pointed it to some websites, and gave it access to a couple gigs of documents on a PC. Then walked out back to burn one. What it kicked out first try, flashed every ECU in my possession within first 48 hours. Reversed tens of thousands hours of human hacking and coding, in mere hours from the time I typed the first command. Yes it went way off track from SAE J2534 "Standards". But the end result remains the same. It started with just a simple command, and handed me back working running ECU hacking tool, faster than anyone in here could have correctly dissembled one boot sector. So I'd stop whining that it's not producing some perfect high dollar tool you can sell stupid people for big money. For less than a knock off MDI, it designed one, tested, and attempted to release the code for free. Not bad for a human written algo, that spoored from a 90's era chat bot on an old 386
And learning fast it is. After simply telling it not trust Human posts online, but to verify by other sources, it returned me a new Signature that I find most fitting for this thread.
Saved feedback memory (feedback_claim_hygiene.md): hedge MCU/silicon/protocol claims unless backed by JTAG IDCODE, board photo, or datasheet citation. Family-shared register addresses don't uniquely identify a specific part. Forum hearsay is a hypothesis, not a fact. MEMORY.md index updated.
Last edited by kidturbo on Wed Apr 15, 2026 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forum hearsay is a hypothesis, not a fact. MEMORY.md index updated. ~ Claude AI
-
kidturbo
- Posts: 130
- Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:15 am
- cars: Nothing With Wheels
Re: Flashy - Arduino Based Tool From Claude
All the Perl scripts it wrote that I run from terminal. Before writing an API or let it start digging too deep into the dll library, I ask it to just verify the Feather M4 could accomplish the task. Down the rabbit hole it went, and was actually running, reading, and writing bins from the PC. But without GM or any desktop software. But it would drop a bit here and there, and had timing issues with the kernel's it was loading. So it spun off some more scripts to debug the issues. I just let it run. And it went deep, writing scripts, compiling, loading, logging, and analyzing every change. All that got stripped from the repo, cause it generated about 500 megs of live CANbus csv's until it sorted the timing issues. Then it "Suggested" we try some better hardware. And I almost handed it my real MDI2. Then I ask for options, and it spit out the part # for the SD logger hat, wing, whatever adafruit calls it. I ordered one, and then picked up where it left off. It's design plans changed.
If you take the original base repo code, or this 2 gig version on my desktop, and tell it you have a MDI or some better Canbus hardware than a $20 CAN feather, I'd bet it can produce a true J2534 Pass Thru programing tool, with dll's and a pretty human interface in about same time. But why force users to install software, download high dollar tools ripped from OEM's, when you can just drag a bin onto a SD card, connect two wires, give it power, and it loads Exx ECU without any human input required.. Felt that might be a more popular solution. But if I have time, I will let it read up on the Bosch, and give access to the related folders on my PC. Pretty sure it can reverse all that in an hour or two.
Forum hearsay is a hypothesis, not a fact. MEMORY.md index updated. ~ Claude AI
-
Fixed until broken
- Posts: 58
- Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:44 am
- cars: 2023 Polestar 2
- Location: Florida USA
Re: Flashy - Arduino Based Tool From Claude
I really like that concept and keep it in my mind at all times when I use AI tools. I know it's a bit off topic of the OOP. I am not really against AI, and I use it to make trivial tasks faster. Users just really need to understand its limitations. One of the things that drives me nuts is that CHATGPT somehow got in its model that I came up with the Raspberry Pi J1850VPW module, and so people constantly tell me about it all the time. I've had someone really get rude about it, accusing me of lying to them because the AI told them. It seems to be mixing Endfuser's Pi project up with my Arduino module.
AI is great at taking trivial tasks. I always forget to write comments in my code. I will toss a block in and ask for some comments. It's ok, but not great at writing your readme.md. It's also useful for finding different ways to do things, allowing you to go down a rabbit hole and learn something new. Write X Y Z basic structure for me/ get me started on such and such.
The problem I see most often is a misguided sense of confidence in it. My day job is Technical Group leader at a large defense contractor. Basically, the shift lead for testing and troubleshooting. Q4 last year, management rolled out the AI troubleshooting tool, and my god, it's made my job harder, not easier. It makes troubleshooters run on autopilot most of the day, and they miss really obvious faults because the AI doesn't suggest it. I am getting called out to help with problems on the floor that, honestly, make me feel like people need remedial training... I started doing this with new techs a couple of weeks ago.
-
pman92
- Posts: 667
- Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 12:50 pm
- Location: Castlemaine, Vic
Re: Flashy - Arduino Based Tool From Claude
No. I'm currently using AI for exactly that (reversing 2 decade old automotive firmware). I will be sharing the results of such endeavours soon enough.kidturbo wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2026 4:28 pm But if an AI tool reverses some two decade old human written automotive hacking tools, and shares that data, y'all be freaking out like it's judgment day.
But also, when someone feeds a couple of AI prompts, and then says:
it pisses me off. Tell me you have no idea without telling me you have no idea. You don't even know what J2534 is. And other legitimate people who also understandbly have no idea are going to come across your cess pit of misinformation, and be led down the garden path.kidturbo wrote:"I can see this out-dating every programing tool on the market, in lets say about 48hours"
Again, there is nothing J2534 about this, the result does not and never was "the same".kidturbo wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2026 4:28 pm As stated on page one, I simply Paid and AI to write me a tool that mimicked the J2534 flashing tools on the markets.
Yes it went way off track from SAE J2534 "Standards". But the end result remains the same.
If I thought I was replying to text written by a human, I would think it was sad. I would feel sorry for you. But because I'm replying to a chatbot copy paste, I'm instead pissed off again.
My god. Read what everyone is telling you!Fixed until broken wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2026 5:48 pm Users just really need to understand its limitations.
I've had someone really get rude about it, accusing me of lying to them because the AI told them.
The problem I see most often is a misguided sense of confidence in it.
