Using Holden202's $12P Methanol Tune In A V6

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
v6bucket

Re: Using Holden202's $12P Methanol Tune In A V6

Post by v6bucket »

After some more testing I noticed that as the engined warmed up the O2 meter would start at 3-3.5 AFR then slowly move towards the correct AFR. I changed the injector cons. to .055 & I've adjusted "Initial Run A/F Ratio Offset vs Coolant Temperature" which the engine starts better with a little more adjustment to go.
I deleted the v1.2.0 plugin then stalled v1.2.1 which has stopped TP5 crashing but I'm still unable to connect to the ecu using the current bin. The program says that It is connected, but none of the gauges on the dash or the monitors are working.
This is the bin, xdf & adx. that I'm using with methanol.
$12P-V1-Holden202-v6-v1.6.bin
(32 KiB) Downloaded 265 times
OSE$12P_V101_1.xdf
(315.12 KiB) Downloaded 264 times
OSE_$12P_v1.05_1BAR-methanol.adx
(75.57 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Did you click the 'Acquire Data (connect/disconnect)' button with the two blue arrows to start the logging process? If you did does TP5 just sit there and say 0hz down the bottom? If so, I have seen a similar issue with a bad adx.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

Yes antus click the arrows & nothing happens. It was sort of working (but very jerky)until I updated to the latest TP5 version.
I logged this with Logworks because TP5 is being a pain.
$12P-V1-Holden202-v6-v1.9.bin
(32 KiB) Downloaded 260 times
9th log.log
(101.94 KiB) Downloaded 259 times
Ignore the red, green & orange lines as they are not connected.
Can some one give me an example of how adjust the lean hunt in the log marked Map B, there is a note. The bin above was the one that I used.
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

in that map b log your not says VE adjustment ? what did you change, cause whatever it was made it worse!

how i would adjust that tune is by looking at where the o2 is reading so for example, the spot you marked ve adjustment at 51.69 seconds

15.39 afr
1180 rpm
32 kpa map

so disregard the fact its methanol, the 15.39 is still lean for petrol so you want to get it somewhere around the 14 area, and if its in idle mode could be richer closer to 13's

so say we want to aim for 14 on the dot at idle (in idle fuel mode) we use the rpm of 1180 and map reading of 32kpa and in the ve table we find the spot where that is. which from memory would be 30 kpa 1200rpm cell .... normally for petrol i go 15.39 / 14.00 = 1.10

so now we take this 1.10 number and apply it to the current cell.

say for example you have 45 in the cell its 45 * 1.10 = 49.50 so this is your new ve value for that cell, and you basically do that for the entire ve table till its right.

SOOOO to make this easier you want to use tunerpro5 to log the wideband readings in the data stream, you can then plot the afr's against rpm and map in a nice 3d table (histogram) and once you have that its pretty easy to straight up transfer the changes to the tune ....

obviously this means you need to sort out the logging issues first.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Your cal has the wrong checksum so will be in limp mode. Plus, your using a very early version of 12P, have migrated the bin using the flashtool as anything earlier than V110 wont work with the plugin. Download the current V110 zip and use the ADX and XDF from that.
Attachments
$12P-V110-Holden202-v6-v1.6.bin
(32 KiB) Downloaded 269 times
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

Thanks VL400, I'll try these this morning after I mow the lawn.

Thanks Holden202, that's the sort of info that I'm after. The "VE adjustment" note in my log is where I think it needed to be adjusted, I was in a hurry & heading to work.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

the biggest question i have is, why did it change at that point, did you move the throttle, did something else change .... it shouldn't just start going lean like that all of a sudden as it was perfectly rich prior to that point.

thats why you really need the tp5 logs, because it shows all the other sensors like tps and cts that might be effecting the afr's!
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

I've updated as VL400 suggested & I'm able to log with TP5 again. The engine runs a lot better with the updated bin as well. :thumbup:
Here's a log from today.
V110 test 1.rar
(56.28 KiB) Downloaded 250 times
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

ok its looking good now, wideband seems to be working fine in the logs and everything else etc!

now, i'd suggest you need to change that injector rate back to .060, this will get the VE richer higher in the revs where its quiet lean at the moment.

then from there you need to adjust the lower rpm ve's to make them leaner so the target AFR matches the commanded afr.

also i've noticed the IAC steps are going to zero, this tells me your idle stop screw needs to be screwed out a bit ..... usually i get the engine warm, once warm and at idle, i back off the idle stop screw till theres about 20 iac steps.
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

Thanks Holden202. Some time ago we had trouble with the IAC on the blown engine & the port was plugged, which gave us a better idle, so this engine is set up the same way.
Now I need to set up a brake attached to the flex plate , so I can load the motor up more.(bit like a crude dyno) :thumbup:
You mentioned in a previous post to adjust the injector constant to get the wot ve values in the 90s, does it matter if it goes over 100?