Vlad's rides thread

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
User avatar
Jayme
Posts: 2585
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:59 pm
Location: North Coast, NSW

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by Jayme »

those cards must be really rare in agp.... out of curiosity, I had a dig through my old cards stash, other than a pile of old ram a mile high, the only non-pci-e cards I had were 3xPCI S3trios and a PCI ATI 7000 series card, which I only kept so I could have multiple monitors back in the days before you could triple head off a single card lol.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by vlad01 »

funny thing is when these cards were new, it was like 60/40 availability with the geforce 6 series for AGP and PCI-e, actually everyone I knew bought AGP as it was rumoured that PCI-e wouldn't take off due to AGP-pro 110 slots also coming out pretty soon.

So 6800 GT and ultra were all the norm in AGP, now to buy 2nd hand AGP is rare as. I suspect its due to the fact as new cards come out like 7 and 8 series, 6 were still being produced as cheap budget cards based on at this stage PCI-e being the norm and since cheapy cards were sold in mass for the OEM PC market there is a ton more in present day available.

I even remember cards like 7600GT and 7800GS came as an option in AGP.

But really I should of known AGP was dead in the water at the time as all 6 series cards had an AGP to PCI-e bridge IC on the board with big heat sink to convert all the data bus to the PCI-e lanes used natively by the GPU. Guess I was a bit dumb back then compared to what I know how about electronics.

btw, do you have any DDR PC2100 in 1 gig sticks? oh in ECC only as thats all the board supports.
User avatar
Jayme
Posts: 2585
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:59 pm
Location: North Coast, NSW

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by Jayme »

what sort of rich barstard uses ECC for home use haha. it was always way dearer for supposibly less tendency for system crashes... anyways I could never justify it. got a few sticks in Various speeds and sized but no ECC. you shouldbe able to run any speed DDR > pc2100 in your board. DDR400 would clock back to suit your motherboard.
wozza
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:05 am
cars: VR commodore

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by wozza »

vlad01 wrote:Progress progress!
Oh my oh my Vlad, what have you done.... all that lovely patina...gone :D
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by vlad01 »

rich? I looked on ebay and its pretty cheap, only problem its hard to find 1gb sticks, nearly all of them are 2gb and the board doesn't support that.

I actually have 2 sticks of 2gb ECC here I got for free, its DDR 1 as well just too big capacity.

board does not support non ECC ram. Its a Tyan server board after all.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by vlad01 »

Thats aint patina, thats fucking crap paint!
User avatar
Jayme
Posts: 2585
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:59 pm
Location: North Coast, NSW

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by Jayme »

vlad01 wrote:rich? I looked on ebay and its pretty cheap, only problem its hard to find 1gb sticks, nearly all of them are 2gb and the board doesn't support that.

I actually have 2 sticks of 2gb ECC here I got for free, its DDR 1 as well just too big capacity.

board does not support non ECC ram. Its a Tyan server board after all.
yeah maybe cheap now, but back in the day when people were buying that type of ram new, ECC was waaaaaaaaaay more expensive than non-ecc, so not many home users would have ever bothered buying it.

why too big? does your board not support 2gb sticks?
ejukated
Posts: 426
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:52 am

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by ejukated »

vlad01 wrote:Progress progress!
is that chemical stripping? this is going to be one mint ride!
FXST02
Posts: 107
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:42 am
cars: VP V6 Auto sedan
Location: Perth WA

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by FXST02 »

vlad01 wrote:funny thing is when these cards were new, it was like 60/40 availability with the geforce 6 series for AGP and PCI-e, actually everyone I knew bought AGP as it was rumoured that PCI-e wouldn't take off due to AGP-pro 110 slots also coming out pretty soon.

So 6800 GT and ultra were all the norm in AGP, now to buy 2nd hand AGP is rare as. I suspect its due to the fact as new cards come out like 7 and 8 series, 6 were still being produced as cheap budget cards based on at this stage PCI-e being the norm and since cheapy cards were sold in mass for the OEM PC market there is a ton more in present day available.

I even remember cards like 7600GT and 7800GS came as an option in AGP.

But really I should of known AGP was dead in the water at the time as all 6 series cards had an AGP to PCI-e bridge IC on the board with big heat sink to convert all the data bus to the PCI-e lanes used natively by the GPU. Guess I was a bit dumb back then compared to what I know how about electronics.

btw, do you have any DDR PC2100 in 1 gig sticks? oh in ECC only as thats all the board supports.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1GB-KINGSTON ... SwHxVW7kcn he has 4 sticks for $10 each.

I have an AGP 6800 sitting beside me 512 mb i think.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by vlad01 »

yep I found those last night on ebay too.

GT is a lot better than a plain 6800, only 45 bucks is this one. shipping is a bit much but I can't complain given much slower 6800 XT are selling around 100 bucks lol.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/371841421576 ... EBIDX%3AIT