253 V8 carby selection
-
'quipt4it
- Posts: 675
- Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:57 am
Re: 253 V8 carby selection
.
Last edited by 'quipt4it on Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
Madmatt2006
- Posts: 373
- Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:48 am
- cars: VZ SVZ Commodore
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT - Location: Katandra West
Re: 253 V8 carby selection
I'm priming the way suggested looks like pumps coming off before starting and fill makes the most sense to me and obviously worked very well before'quipt4it wrote:I suggested this way as opposed to the 'dirty' method of PJ (petroleum jelly).Dirty as it won't mix with the oil until the oil gets warmed. Lots of chances for clogging tiny oil passages etc.'quipt4it wrote:...Filling the gears with PJ only adds extra gunk to clog up galleries etc lol...
Old school and not necessary.
As for oil 'draining out' lol, the only place it will drain back to is the sump and the oil pump and filter. This is where it's needed.
Remember, these engines don't have roller lifters, proper lubrication is essential for the lifter and cam's survival. Don't crank the engine unnecessarily.
Many V8 guys run cams in with light springs because of this.
You have to think, every engine starts this way every day, so I don't see any issue with it.
Me either'quipt4it wrote: You have to think, every engine starts this way every day, so I don't see any issue with it.
-
'quipt4it
- Posts: 675
- Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:57 am
Re: 253 V8 carby selection
.
Last edited by 'quipt4it on Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
Madmatt2006
- Posts: 373
- Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:48 am
- cars: VZ SVZ Commodore
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT - Location: Katandra West
Re: 253 V8 carby selection
I near fell off my chair in shock!'quipt4it wrote:The notion of installing a 'dry' filter sound ridiculous to me.
Have you ever done an oil change like this and wondered why there is either a loud knocking noise from bearings screaming out for lubrication or an oil light that doesn't seem to want to go out?
Well this would explain it. Same thing.
-
'quipt4it
- Posts: 675
- Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:57 am
Re: 253 V8 carby selection
.
Last edited by 'quipt4it on Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8550
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: 253 V8 carby selection
Ummm there is a thing call assembly lube. World renown engine developer Jake Raby taught me about the perils of trying to prime a fresh engine with a full oil filter, basically a mistake many make, which I once made that caused me to not be able to prime an engine at all. Had to get another dry filter and take the oil pump apart and re-lubricate it, then it worked.
-
'quipt4it
- Posts: 675
- Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:57 am
Re: 253 V8 carby selection
.
Last edited by 'quipt4it on Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
VK_3800
- Posts: 578
- Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:15 am
- cars: SS Torana
- Location: NZ
Re: 253 V8 carby selection
Any means of priming the pump manually will work as long as you actually get something in there. I'm not a fan of introducing foreign matter like Vasolene either but it does work and generally dissolves into the oil fine. Priming engine oil galleries on top of the pump and pickup is even better.
Once the pump is primed it will keep its prime unless you put the engine on strange angles. But for a first start, especially if the galleries are dry, its preferable to start it and get a few rpm on immediately rather than slow cranking.
But whatever you do, do not just crank it with a dry pump to gain oil pressure - it will not work (for a Holden V8 specifically).
Once the pump is primed it will keep its prime unless you put the engine on strange angles. But for a first start, especially if the galleries are dry, its preferable to start it and get a few rpm on immediately rather than slow cranking.
But whatever you do, do not just crank it with a dry pump to gain oil pressure - it will not work (for a Holden V8 specifically).
-
In-Tech
- Posts: 785
- Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:35 am
- Location: California
Re: 253 V8 carby selection
We all have our own way of doing things. I don't prime an engine because I don't like the idea of pushing out all of my good bearing lube. I prime the pump with my bearing lube and fill the filter ONCE with oil leaving it about half full once it soaks in. The bearing lube rests well in engines that sit for a long time too although in a case that sits a long time I would probably prime it a little just for safety sake.
What really irks me is when I take apart an engine that has sat for a while and numbskull used white grease for assembly and the crapola is basically concrete
I was decent friends with Ray before his passing, all the way back to the Childs and Albert days. First time we met at PRI we both started laughing, been talking on the phone for years and we both looked at our name tags and neither of us were what we pictured in our heads
I still use this for bearings and rings.
What really irks me is when I take apart an engine that has sat for a while and numbskull used white grease for assembly and the crapola is basically concrete
I was decent friends with Ray before his passing, all the way back to the Childs and Albert days. First time we met at PRI we both started laughing, been talking on the phone for years and we both looked at our name tags and neither of us were what we pictured in our heads
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Madmatt2006
- Posts: 373
- Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:48 am
- cars: VZ SVZ Commodore
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT - Location: Katandra West
Re: 253 V8 carby selection
Ran into a problem all the wiring is hooked up got dash lights but starter seems to be dead not doing anything!
getting out test light to check power will post back soon. 