Vlad's rides thread

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's VP executive (Now VR)

Post by vlad01 »

IMG_1117_zpsd445133f.jpg
IMG_1118_zpsa01535bf.jpg
IMG_1120_zps3cb15980.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Vlad's VP executive (Now VR)

Post by Holden202T »

gotta be happy its finally in!!

looks very factory clean too heheh :)
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's VP executive (Now VR)

Post by vlad01 »

yep! love the factory new look. I always aim to make engines look like they just meant to be.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Vlad's VP executive (Now VR)

Post by Holden202T »

well im pretty sure factory never had chrome plated tensioner pulleys ?? :P
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's VP executive (Now VR)

Post by vlad01 »

thats actually period correct aftermarket billet pulley with replaceable bearing. They were very common on the VP and VR at the time when the factory ones packed up.

I have 2 of them and seen others on grandpa spec vn, vp, vr
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Vlad's VP executive (Now VR)

Post by Holden202T »

yeah i know they period correct but not factory spec :P

mind you from what i've seen of the results of the factory one failing i'd opt for that one too!
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's VP executive (Now VR)

Post by vlad01 »

I also found these billet ones being very heavy dampen the tensioner. with plastic pulley I see the tensioner bounce when the engine misfires every now and then at idle.

On my brother's Vp the tenstioner bounces and makes a "clank" every time a cylinder misses at idle.

I just un-clip the circlip on mine, knocked out the bearing and installed a high speed high load rated bearing. My one on the VP has lasted years with the same bearing.


this isn't factory spec engine anymore anyway, i just like them to look factory but improved on. :shh:
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's VP executive (Now VR)

Post by vlad01 »

got my arms back from the machinist, heaps cheap that i made the jig.

Good job!
IMG_1136_zps9d76f544.jpg
bought a reco PS rack from steering rebuilds Australia. they have 3 year warranty on all their rebuilt parts. Pretty good.
IMG_1137_zps16bef857.jpg
reco PS pump as well as the original one sounded like a SC14 off its tits all the time despite only 100 odd K-km, guy said either bush or damaged internally from holding hard full lock too long/too many times.
IMG_1138_zps099e4e11.jpg
thread cut on this otherwise blank stud that is normally used on the CAS cover, but with the thread cut can now replace the rusted ones used for the ECU ground. I bought all these studs and bolts from GM in the states but this particular one doesn't exist on their engines so I made one :D
IMG_1139_zps40be8398.jpg
shit pic, but PS rack loosely fitted as it might be a shit fight when the exhaust needs to go it, which is next on the parts list.
IMG_1140_zps2dad1180.jpg
arms!
IMG_1141_zps3ff74344.jpg
bolted with grade 8 3/8" UNF, with conelock nuts and loctite to 65Nm (47ft-lb) :study:
Then hug for painting.
IMG_1142_zps420ef7fd.jpg
rebuilt another delco remy while I was at it.
IMG_1143_zps7f6d3988.jpg
arms, primed in epoxy etch and 2 coats of epoxy gloss :thumbup: done! just wait for it to harden for a day or 2 and fit the bushes and in to the car.
IMG_1144_zps89bd1bfd.jpg
Also picked up a good 808 from the wreckers, some DXIII and 10L of coolant concentrate, 5L isn't enough to make the 50% for a complete dry fill, 6-7L is :wall:

All this on my last day on break including driving all the may to Melbourne to get this stuff, all the other days I did nothing as nothing was open lol. Oh well at least i got to sleep a lot on those days.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MrWillys
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:52 pm
cars: 1955 Willys CJ5 L98 350
2001 Ford F150
2004 Corvette 6 spd
Location: Reno, NV USA

Re: Vlad's VP executive (Now VR)

Post by MrWillys »

I would wait until everything was up and running to add the antifreeze. make sure it's leak proof and functioning. Then drain it down and put it in.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Vlad's VP executive (Now VR)

Post by Holden202T »

i second that!