Torana SS
-
brindo
- Posts: 333
- Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:43 pm
- Location: Western Queensland
Re: Torana SS
That would be Torque Power Manifolds for the gaskets.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8548
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Torana SS
Ah yep, that's them, never would have found them otherwise, cheers for that.
Looks like they don't do gaskets for the earlier style though, but I suppose no harm asking if that's a path worth pursuing.
Looks like they don't do gaskets for the earlier style though, but I suppose no harm asking if that's a path worth pursuing.
-
brindo
- Posts: 333
- Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:43 pm
- Location: Western Queensland
-
Gareth
- Posts: 2678
- Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:37 am
- Location: Bacchus Marsh, Vic
Re: Torana SS
Those still leak out of the gasket material, ask me how I know....
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
Re: Torana SS
These days I always smear a little RTV around the coolant ports and cover any part that may come into contact with coolant. Effectively I'm using RTV to "seal" the gasket material.
-
VK_3800
- Posts: 578
- Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:15 am
- cars: SS Torana
- Location: NZ
Re: Torana SS
The basic Permaseal ones will be fine (they could even be rebranded NZ Gaskets here), they have a very small bead around the ports but not really necessary in this application. Always use RTV or something suitable around the coolant ports, as well as the extra sealing there is usually some corrosion that needs filling and its a good way to stick the gaskets down so they don't move during installation.
Other side is a bit clearer, zero bond to the manifold face and you can see it just walked up.

I'm quite certain a better gasket will fix it no problem, just thought it was interesting how bad it was in a short time.
Other side is a bit clearer, zero bond to the manifold face and you can see it just walked up.

I'm quite certain a better gasket will fix it no problem, just thought it was interesting how bad it was in a short time.
-
Deuce
- Posts: 107
- Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:03 am
- cars: TUF355
Re: Torana SS
Let me know how you go sourcing those.VK_3800 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 5:28 am The basic Permaseal ones will be fine (they could even be rebranded NZ Gaskets here), they have a very small bead around the ports but not really necessary in this application. Always use RTV or something suitable around the coolant ports, as well as the extra sealing there is usually some corrosion that needs filling and its a good way to stick the gaskets down so they don't move during installation.
Other side is a bit clearer, zero bond to the manifold face and you can see it just walked up.
I'm quite certain a better gasket will fix it no problem, just thought it was interesting how bad it was in a short time.
I ordered permaseal conversion gasket set yesterday and got a call today to say mid next month before they are available.
On another note, I'm running those TP intake gaskets and haven't noticed any issues in 6+ years.
I think I trimmed a back corner for coil mount clearance upon install, but that was all.
-
VK_3800
- Posts: 578
- Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:15 am
- cars: SS Torana
- Location: NZ
Re: Torana SS
I hunted around and found someone who claimed they were in stock, according to the tracking info they've shipped. Price is ridiculous of course.
-
turbo_v6
- Posts: 513
- Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:50 pm
Re: Torana SS
To me it almost looks as though the gasket wasn't getting good compression in the center and blew out.
It looks like it's an N/A application, so I wouldn't expect lots of crankcase pressure. But having silicone only on the outside coolant ports could make it thicker in that area and cause lower compression on the center of the gasket. It seems like overkill, but maybe add a small amount of silicone to all the ports?
It looks like it's an N/A application, so I wouldn't expect lots of crankcase pressure. But having silicone only on the outside coolant ports could make it thicker in that area and cause lower compression on the center of the gasket. It seems like overkill, but maybe add a small amount of silicone to all the ports?
LS1 Boost OS Version 5 Available Here. For feature suggestions post in here Development Thread.
-
Charlescrown
- Posts: 2076
- Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
- cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes - Location: Padstow NSW
Re: Torana SS
A lot of the time the gasket issues are caused by having the heads and blocked machined and not taking into account the manifold and valley facing but boy that looks real bad to me with lots of movement occuring. Perhaps a few retorques of the manifold over time may help.