VN-VS front sway bar links, downgrading (aka upgrading?)

For non EFI mechanical discussion
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: VN-VS front sway bar links, downgrading (aka upgrading?)

Post by vlad01 »

Another reason I dislike white line.

lack of products, ridiculous prices for for something any Tom Dick or Harry could make.

Looking for some ball joint rear links and none are 0º ball joints, only 90º :hmm:

http://www.whiteline.com.au/do_segue4.p ... ehicle=ALL

omg! what is this shit? I had these links once from a white line kit and they were mangled due to weak design and they sell for that price?

http://www.whiteline.com.au/do_segue4.p ... ehicle=ALL
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
charlay86
cars: VT S1 SS (L67)

Post by charlay86 »

I think you'll find that there aren't many designs using the axial ball joints because ball and socket joints have a relatively low extraction force (i.e. ball comes out of socket) if you pull axially on the ball stud.
Irukanji
cars: VT Commodore V6 Series 1

Post by Irukanji »

vlad01 wrote:The poly bushes are a no no, they break almost straight away, split and fall off.

Yes I do drive my car hard, but not like other holden owners doing burnouts, I never done that in my car but I push the car to its limits with handling and cornering so yeah suspension parts wearing out is understandable, thing is its only the front links that give up from time to time, everything else I have refined over the years to give me a fool proof and bullet proof suspension setup that has yet to fail after 150,000km of abusive rally style driving.
Yeah, one full lock left turn hard braking(Rookie mistake) spat a bushing off the top of one of the links, the Nolathane ones are better than the black "rubber"/poly bushings found in cheap kits. Within 2 weeks the 3 remaining ones had split almost to failure. The originals had some lightt cracks running into them, almost like the exhaust hangers after a week...just 15 years down the track. No doubt about it, the originals would be the best if they were available. The Nolathane ones have started to wear down after a few months but are still firm so I'll have another look when I do the pads in 20,000km time or whenever I feel bored.

Those whiteline ones look like they are for the rears, even though the ones in mine look mangled I doubt they'd do much worse than a new set...A set of VT series 1(I think) are straight and thin, if you have a welder you could make a pair with $2 worth of round bar.

In my limited experience, the Z-ones are slightly better than the originals for the front, when you tighten them up only do it until they are snug. However I have found for turning, a 1/4-1/2 turn off the bottom is better, but in a straight line(ie. hwy/fwy) a 1/4-1/2 turn tighter is nice but more vibrations will come through the steering wheel which might annoy some people.

My 2 cents
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Thought I might update this since this new post.

My nolthane front links are still going! Impressed actually considering every other bush and product they make aren't that great or last long.

yeah dont get me started on the exhasut rubbers. mine always fail after few days, shit Mckay ones.

got some genuine holden ones for the rear exhaust. one just snapped cleanly after first drive :shock: old stock though. they didn't crack and perish like mckay ones do, it was just a clean break.

So I fitted mc gay ones again and made a safety cable from ss braided cable to help take the load off them and stop it falling is the rubbers do fail again.

after 2 months of just sitting around, the rubbers have perished somewhat. I am sick of these shit mc gay products.

The front exhaust rubber is still the original one 19 years old and its perfect still.

I had a rubber break off, the front one on my VP in 2008 and I stopped off at a autopro store on the way and fitted it there and then, well Iv done over 200,000km and its still good. Was thinking about it the other day and when I was at the store I relized what brand it was. It was Kelpro brand.

Might see if I can get some in that brand and hopefully that solve the issue.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.