Delco probie
-
Mamba
- Posts: 107
- Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:48 am
- cars: 1995 Holden Commodore VS Wagon
2006 Holden Berlina VZ Wagon - Location: brisbane north QLD
Re: Delco probie
Its huge!!...just downloaded TunerPro V5..blank page with no BIN or XDF files and not yet proficient enough to workout dashboard...I loaded V4 as well as it has some definitions, tables etc that along with the help files is useful...at this stage, that will do...a basic dashboard template would have been useful but I understand each tuner has their own way of doing things....I am going back over Dec_head's thread and my own notes compiled by all the information I have received in this thread... hoping a bit more will sink in??....
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: Delco probie
what car are you trying to use this on and what code base ? i'm sure wqe can help you get something working.
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
Mamba
- Posts: 107
- Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:48 am
- cars: 1995 Holden Commodore VS Wagon
2006 Holden Berlina VZ Wagon - Location: brisbane north QLD
Re: Delco probie
Just came off searching google for answers on TunerPro...more confused now
thanks Holden 202....I have 1995 Holden VS Wagon (V6 Ecotec) with cold air and lukey sports exhaust...nothing flash!!
It all started with the original exhaust corroding...Lukey ran a promotion in the area and provided the exhaust for a way reduced price...cold air from an l67..I originally thought the stock memcal would be fine but was advised through various forums (and holden dealership??) that the para's would be out and a new or rewritten memcal would be required...it went downhill from there!!...along came powerchips, ebay, haltech, and so on...all seemed overkill..I reasoned that if I could find out what I was dealing with, it would be easier and lest costly...enter this forum
I read some threads and over several months seemed to be what I was looking for..heaps of information and no derogatory remarks...everyone just working together fr a common goal.
Code base??
sorry I don't know what that is.....any help and advice greatly appreciated.....Thankyou!!!...Shayne
It all started with the original exhaust corroding...Lukey ran a promotion in the area and provided the exhaust for a way reduced price...cold air from an l67..I originally thought the stock memcal would be fine but was advised through various forums (and holden dealership??) that the para's would be out and a new or rewritten memcal would be required...it went downhill from there!!...along came powerchips, ebay, haltech, and so on...all seemed overkill..I reasoned that if I could find out what I was dealing with, it would be easier and lest costly...enter this forum
Code base??
-
Dec_head
- Posts: 505
- Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:33 pm
- cars: VR Calais
Re: Delco probie
on your cars ecm it should have 4 letters or if you take the little cover off you can read them direct of the memcal ckuj bwpl etc wich would be better you never know if it's been changed.
I have heard of commodores throwing fault codes after fitting air induction kits or pods for lean mixture i think it was not sure if it was tune related or due to other faults though.
as i have a sc vt with 10.5 psi pulley upgrade and have run a few different xu6 and standard tunes and never had a drama.
But maybe the n\a tune is a bit leaner to begin with.
I have heard of commodores throwing fault codes after fitting air induction kits or pods for lean mixture i think it was not sure if it was tune related or due to other faults though.
as i have a sc vt with 10.5 psi pulley upgrade and have run a few different xu6 and standard tunes and never had a drama.
But maybe the n\a tune is a bit leaner to begin with.
-
yoda69
- Posts: 1226
- Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:20 am
- cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual - Location: Geelong, VIC
Re: Delco probie
The MAF based systems are a little more forgiving of changes generally as they measure the air coming in and work from there as to how much fuel is required, MAP however doesn't like changes as it is working on a look up table for engine efficiency (VE), anything that changes the VE can cause problems. ie intake, exhaust, cam, etc.
Having said that, some aftermarket CAI can cause issues with how the air travels over the MAF as well. The pulses of air each time an intake valve opens and closes can bounce back and forward across the MAF causing the air to be counted twice, this is the reason the OE air ducts have all those expansion chambers (snail like things with a sealed end) hanging of the side, they are tuned to a particular frequency to damp out these pulses. Typically more of a problem at lower RPM I believe, but would need to double check.
yoda69
Having said that, some aftermarket CAI can cause issues with how the air travels over the MAF as well. The pulses of air each time an intake valve opens and closes can bounce back and forward across the MAF causing the air to be counted twice, this is the reason the OE air ducts have all those expansion chambers (snail like things with a sealed end) hanging of the side, they are tuned to a particular frequency to damp out these pulses. Typically more of a problem at lower RPM I believe, but would need to double check.
yoda69
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: Delco probie
as dec_head says, if you can find out the numbers on the top of the memcal that will be a good start to working out what files you need to work with in tunerpro.
i have been tinkering with my VS Ecotec Engine (in a torana with 2.5 inch exhaust, otherwise pretty much stock) so far i've had success changing some of the small things like engine fan settings, some tranny behaviour stuff and timing. Haven't really gotten into fueling though.
but what i did was to remove the chip from the memcal and fit a socket too it so i can unplug chips as i please, i then got an electronically erasable (AT29C010 from memory) chip and off i went .... its not realtime like the 808 stuff is now (with the NVRAM etc) but its better than nothing.
but i guess if you want to go down the same route you will need an eprom programmer (see the other threads discussing willems etc) and then you'll need to decide what to do with the memcal .... if you are going to socket and re-program as i've done i'd suggest getting a stock memcal from ebay or a wreckers or something so you atleast have you original chip to fall back on if you stuff something up.
alternativaly VL400 has an NVRAM for VS that you can buy, and i THINK the flashtool is able to read from it but not sure about writing too it at this stage ... VL400 might be able to fill in the blanks here ?
anyways, work out what you have in your memcal now and decide what you want to do as per above and we can help you more from there.
i have been tinkering with my VS Ecotec Engine (in a torana with 2.5 inch exhaust, otherwise pretty much stock) so far i've had success changing some of the small things like engine fan settings, some tranny behaviour stuff and timing. Haven't really gotten into fueling though.
but what i did was to remove the chip from the memcal and fit a socket too it so i can unplug chips as i please, i then got an electronically erasable (AT29C010 from memory) chip and off i went .... its not realtime like the 808 stuff is now (with the NVRAM etc) but its better than nothing.
but i guess if you want to go down the same route you will need an eprom programmer (see the other threads discussing willems etc) and then you'll need to decide what to do with the memcal .... if you are going to socket and re-program as i've done i'd suggest getting a stock memcal from ebay or a wreckers or something so you atleast have you original chip to fall back on if you stuff something up.
alternativaly VL400 has an NVRAM for VS that you can buy, and i THINK the flashtool is able to read from it but not sure about writing too it at this stage ... VL400 might be able to fill in the blanks here ?
anyways, work out what you have in your memcal now and decide what you want to do as per above and we can help you more from there.
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
VL400
- Posts: 4991
- Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
- cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
- Location: Perth, WA
Re: Delco probie
Still no write support for the VS Ecotec and later with NVRAM installed 
-
Mamba
- Posts: 107
- Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:48 am
- cars: 1995 Holden Commodore VS Wagon
2006 Holden Berlina VZ Wagon - Location: brisbane north QLD
Re: Delco probie
Sorry for the delayed response guys...wife unwell..at this stage I really want to use the stock memcal or a pre-programmed memcal (something like powerchip) but is a stock standard memcal that has rewritten by a professional...the ebay ones (except nicefrogs but only seen V8 chips) don't look like they are properly programmed but I get the point made that they can be flashed and rewritten before putting in the car....I haven't looked at the stock memcal yet as I have been unable to remove the kickplate...thought it pulled out but it is fixed in place (wont budge) and seems to need a blowtorch LOL ...the car was originally a QLD Health vehicle so I can't see anything other than stock down there (having said that ???). BTW..acceleration improved dramatically after coil changed..great to have the ponies all in a line again and not kicking the barn door down!! what is it with coils and corners LOL??
The ecotec is MAF based isn't it??...I installed the CAI first and found the vehicle responded well to it...no problems arose that I noticed...didn't seem to make too much difference at all....the stock exhaust corroded and needed to be replaced when backseat passengers thought GST was a good idea!!..definitely leaking also cat stopped converting..emissions would have soared.
I wanted to do basically the same as what you are doing Holden202, change engine fan settings (car runs hot in heavy traffic), some tranny changes as it changes up & down at will , annoyingly, and maybe spark advance. Learning about EFI was first and foremost before I even considered trying to change anything...over the past year, I tried to learn as much as I could..but only managed a vague idea with the blanks filled with assumptions..most of which appear incorrect....I've learn't more in the last week then the last year...will have to get that memcal number first so there is a base to begin with....thanks for all the great info guys...noting it all
...will post some pics of the beast as soon as I can...Thanks again
...cheers for now Shayne
The ecotec is MAF based isn't it??...I installed the CAI first and found the vehicle responded well to it...no problems arose that I noticed...didn't seem to make too much difference at all....the stock exhaust corroded and needed to be replaced when backseat passengers thought GST was a good idea!!..definitely leaking also cat stopped converting..emissions would have soared.
I wanted to do basically the same as what you are doing Holden202, change engine fan settings (car runs hot in heavy traffic), some tranny changes as it changes up & down at will , annoyingly, and maybe spark advance. Learning about EFI was first and foremost before I even considered trying to change anything...over the past year, I tried to learn as much as I could..but only managed a vague idea with the blanks filled with assumptions..most of which appear incorrect....I've learn't more in the last week then the last year...will have to get that memcal number first so there is a base to begin with....thanks for all the great info guys...noting it all
-
Mamba
- Posts: 107
- Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:48 am
- cars: 1995 Holden Commodore VS Wagon
2006 Holden Berlina VZ Wagon - Location: brisbane north QLD
Re: Delco probie
Just wanted to add..realtime programming wasn't a deal breaker in the scheme of things..my research resulted in mistakingly thinking that...
firstly, the memcal could be re-programmed in place..didn't have to be removed
secondly, only the tables were present on the memcal with the actual program safely out of harms way in the ECU
finally, kalmaker was simply a program that was written for Delco ECU and not a whole new chip with a security code present stopping all but kalmaker programs....
Had I gone ahead with that brainwave...I would be in a mess right now
as the closest tuner is several suburbs away and the tuner subcontracts to him...if he left,, the nearest is on the bay I think then Toowoomba...thank goodness that was corrected
I was advised (professional tuner) that the vehicles modified exhaust and intake would require a dyno to correctly adjust the tables....a dyno seemed overkill for a V6 ecotec when all I wanted was to tweak what was already there and not replace it completely..the car is used daily, ferrying my girls to school, shopping etc etc so messing with it too much wasn't an option or even cosideration and I wasn't after a 10sec car for 1/4 mile
(I would be happy if it did a 1/4 mile in one piece!! LOL)...anyway...my sincere thanks....Cheers
firstly, the memcal could be re-programmed in place..didn't have to be removed
secondly, only the tables were present on the memcal with the actual program safely out of harms way in the ECU
finally, kalmaker was simply a program that was written for Delco ECU and not a whole new chip with a security code present stopping all but kalmaker programs....
Had I gone ahead with that brainwave...I would be in a mess right now
I was advised (professional tuner) that the vehicles modified exhaust and intake would require a dyno to correctly adjust the tables....a dyno seemed overkill for a V6 ecotec when all I wanted was to tweak what was already there and not replace it completely..the car is used daily, ferrying my girls to school, shopping etc etc so messing with it too much wasn't an option or even cosideration and I wasn't after a 10sec car for 1/4 mile
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: Delco probie
OK Mamba, got some shit together for ya....
firstly, stock chip in the memcal, with the blue cover removed, note the 4 letters on the sticker, this is the info you want to find out.

and then my memcal after being bastardised and fitted with a socket and electronically erasable chip - note this allows the blue cover to still go on!


next we have my willem programmer, the adaptor i made and the memcal, the adaptor just allows me to re-program without removing the chip from the socket.



hopefully this will give you an idea of what your in for.
firstly, stock chip in the memcal, with the blue cover removed, note the 4 letters on the sticker, this is the info you want to find out.
and then my memcal after being bastardised and fitted with a socket and electronically erasable chip - note this allows the blue cover to still go on!
next we have my willem programmer, the adaptor i made and the memcal, the adaptor just allows me to re-program without removing the chip from the socket.
hopefully this will give you an idea of what your in for.
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread