Project Rescue

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: Project Rescue

Post by immortality »

I think I saw that done this week. Just draw a line across the valve seat edge, put in the head and rotate a few turns and then remove and inspect.

I've lapped a few valves in my time.

Honing a block at home will be something new.

I'll chuck the valves in the lathe at work and give them a quick polish and measure the valve spring pressures and see how bad they are.
User avatar
Gampy
Posts: 2332
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:38 pm

Re: Project Rescue

Post by Gampy »

All the way around the valve seat on the valve, I don't rotate ... I wiggle just enough movement to show contact points.
One high or wide spot will mark it all the way around and give false readings if you rotate ...
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
'quipt4it
Posts: 675
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:57 am

Re: Project Rescue

Post by 'quipt4it »

I've looked at this photo with zoom, is there something going on here?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Gampy
Posts: 2332
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:38 pm

Re: Project Rescue

Post by Gampy »

If that turns out to be what it looks like ... that's one helluva catch via image!
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: Project Rescue

Post by immortality »

I haven't had a good look yet, just a cursory wipe out and spray with WD40 to prevent any more rust after I finished pulling the heads.
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: Project Rescue

Post by immortality »

Your pic had me intrigued so had to check it out.

Gave it a quick clean with some WD40 and a rag,
WhatsApp Image 2021-04-17 at 12.29.39.jpeg
Looks all good. It does look like there is a crack running through the middle now but that is just the edge of a little bit of carbon left on the piston crown.

Whilst I was there I sprayed the heads and block sealing surfaces with some CRC Gasket Stripper. Works reasonably well and makes scraping the rest of the gaskets off much easier. Next job is to strip the heads and get them in the cleaner at work. Hopefully drop them in there this evening for a soak and then a scrub tomorrow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'quipt4it
Posts: 675
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:57 am

Re: Project Rescue

Post by 'quipt4it »

What does the R.H. head look like? The photo was of that cylinder head.
I flipped the image as it was easier to see...
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: Project Rescue

Post by immortality »

I've had the heads soaking in WD40 to soften the carbon buildup.

There was one bit of carbon in the place you highlighted, scraped it it and wiped it down and it looks fine. I have been scraping around the valve with a fine point looking for cracks so maybe you're seeing little lines from that?
WhatsApp Image 2021-04-17 at 13.53.03.jpeg
Will be able to see much better once I get em fully stripped down and cleaned.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'quipt4it
Posts: 675
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:57 am

Re: Project Rescue

Post by 'quipt4it »

Definitely looks better now it's cleaned :thumbup:
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: Project Rescue

Post by immortality »

For some reason it looks worse in pictures?