265 Hemi to efi
-
heff0018
- Posts: 1061
- Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:42 am
- cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger
Re: 265 Hemi to efi
I've been reading a lot about reluctor and rotor phasing since yesterday and I reckon that is the problem with this dizzy. It may explain why it is happier when the ignition is retarded and the misfiring which is actually cross firing within the distributor. Before swapping over the dizzyI will drill a hole in the cap and check the position of the rotor with a timing light. Thanks again Charles.
-
Holden202T
- Posts: 10435
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
- Location: Tenambit, NSW
Re: 265 Hemi to efi
im not sure what your setup is like, but is there any adjustability in the shaft for mechanical advance ?
maybe you can change the angle of the rotor enough with that ?
maybe you can change the angle of the rotor enough with that ?
No matter what the question is, the answer is always more horsepower! 
Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread

Just starting out? Have a read of the getting started guide
Basic tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
Advanced tuning of a delco ECM with $12P thread
-
heff0018
- Posts: 1061
- Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:42 am
- cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger
Re: 265 Hemi to efi
Not sure Sam, will have to investigate. Thanks
-
HQ355
- Posts: 1217
- Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
- cars: HQ Holden
Re: 265 Hemi to efi
Have you checked to see if the little pin is still inbetween the reluctor and shaft ? If the reluctor has spun on the shaft it will throw out your phasing
-
heff0018
- Posts: 1061
- Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:42 am
- cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger
Re: 265 Hemi to efi
Thanks mate, I will have to check this.
-
Charlescrown
- Posts: 2076
- Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
- cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes - Location: Padstow NSW
Re: 265 Hemi to efi
Yea forgot that one. It seems to happen after someone does a compression test and cranked the engine over with the off.
-
Charlescrown
- Posts: 2076
- Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
- cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes - Location: Padstow NSW
Re: 265 Hemi to efi
With the cap off.
-
heff0018
- Posts: 1061
- Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:42 am
- cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger
Re: 265 Hemi to efi
Drilled a 1/2" hole in the top of the cap but the drill bit was a bit blunt and ended up blowing the whole no 1 post out. The dizzy caps aren't like the big 8 cylinder ones you see in all the diagrams. I will need to cut the side out next time. Anyway I figured that I could still roughly check the rotor phasing without the motor running so I jumped the starter until it was up to number 1 and then turned the motor until it was in line with the no 1 post. I found the timing mark on the harmonic balancer was sitting around 50 degrees advanced. This pretty much ties up with everything I have experienced so far. When I moved the motor so that the timing mark was 20 degrees advanced the rotor was nearly half way to the next post. Seems about right considering the 6cyl firing would be 60 degrees apart.
-
Charlescrown
- Posts: 2076
- Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
- cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes - Location: Padstow NSW
Re: 265 Hemi to efi
Getting somewhere by the looks of it. Probably a silly question but have you checked the harmonic balancer TDC mark with actual engine TDC.
-
heff0018
- Posts: 1061
- Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:42 am
- cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger
Re: 265 Hemi to efi
NO I haven't but I have had that in the back of my mind. I reckon I first need to reinstall the original electronic dizzy with the MSD and check that again, because from memory that setup didn't misfire. Then I will compare both the rotor position and reluctor position of both dizzy's with no1 piston at tdc.