PCMHammer P04

rjdrew1986
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:52 pm

Re: PCMHammer P04

Post by rjdrew1986 »

It looks like Service Number 12209614 is a P04 that I don't have. I have one on its way but it could be a week before i will be able to try Carl's Bin. According to what I see, service Number 12209614 was used in the same years as AMD 12583826 & 12583827. I've been able to identify what's different between 12583826 & 12583827 and its a minor change to interchange them. It will be interesting to see what's actually different on this P04 (Hardware ID: 12202600). Carl, if you're not pushed for time, I will try flashing your BIN when the 12209614 arrives and report back.
ProfessWRX
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:33 pm
cars: 04 Monte SSSC
04 Tahoe
92 Trans Am
Location: AZ USA

Re: PCMHammer P04

Post by ProfessWRX »

I been able to swap over two pcms to run my car.
This car has had 4 PCMs.
1. OEM and still stock, (back in car now to drive)
2. Second: flashed on bench and worked for weeks flashing in car then failed flash in car.
3. Third: The one we are talking about thats never taken a flash
3. Fourth: flashes on bench and ran in car flashes for years, failed flash in car yesterday.

The car is drivable so I’ve got time to see if you can do some magic.

Thanks guys. Also, Im Scott. The car is named Carl.
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10012
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: PCMHammer P04

Post by antus »

First thing is to figure out how to re-produce it. Guess is there is part of the code that doesn't flush the VPW chip often enough and on a quiet bench thats not an issue but in a car where something doesn't stop talking like it should the receive FIFO probably fills up and crashes. But need to be able to reproduce it first. So this one that never works -> never worked on the bench either? Do you have a good J2534 interface, something like an MDI, or Mongoose, or a working vx-diag? Got an OBDX Pro of any kind? Next step might be to do an in car flash from one copy of pcmhammer and have another one doing a bus capture so we can see what does not go silent and what the RX FIFO is having to deal with in car that it is not on the bench. You can use this version of pcmhammer, and its new logger tool to capture the bus. Pick your (second) interface that are going to monitor with, pick tools->bus monitor and hit start. Do your flash in car (test mode to avoid brick risk, ideally on a BDM recovered P04 so your not risking the one you are driving with) and let the second copy capture. Hit stop on the capture. Then file -> save -> bus monitor and post that. https://github.com/PcmHammer/PcmHammer/ ... 9754475113
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
ProfessWRX
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:33 pm
cars: 04 Monte SSSC
04 Tahoe
92 Trans Am
Location: AZ USA

Re: PCMHammer P04

Post by ProfessWRX »

I’ve only tried flashing this “never worked” pcm on the bench, Never in car. I only have the one working pcm so I’m crippled right now. I’ve got a new PCM coming this week and the Bdm coming soon to hopefully repair the 2 unresponsive and if we can fix the one then I’ll have 5 PCMs.

Im using an obdx pro.

I typically have done large change flashes only on the bench. And calibration flashes in car. I was stupid and tried a back to stock flash in car which was 5 or 6 segments instead of the 2-3 segments. And it clearly bit me.
Last edited by ProfessWRX on Sun Jul 26, 2026 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10012
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: PCMHammer P04

Post by antus »

Ok cool. And rjdrew has one of these units coming too, so we can do a bench test and see if that specific service number works for him as well, or if its another variant we've not seen up until now. Hopefully it does work and it's just a single faulty unit, then we only have the in-car improvement.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
rjdrew1986
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:52 pm

Re: PCMHammer P04

Post by rjdrew1986 »

Antus has been telling us that P04 service numbers are all over the map. Based upon what we are seeing here, this sure appears to be the case...

1. The Service Number 12209614 that I ordered arrived. However when I read the properties with PCMH, it indicates it's a P04 Service No 12583827. Appearance-wise it looks like the cover has never been off. When I pushed Carl's Bin, it indicated that the content of all memory sectors are different.

[12:46:57.467] PCM Hammer
[12:46:57.479] Copyright (C) 2018-2026 PcmHacking.net - GPL v3
[12:46:57.480] Version: 2.0.0
[12:46:57.482] Running at: Saturday, August 01 2026, 12:46:57
[12:46:57.485] Initializing J2534 MDI
[12:46:57.509] Loaded DLL
[12:46:57.610] Connected to the device.
[12:46:57.614] Battery Voltage is: 12.064
[12:46:57.641] Thanks for using PCM Hammer.
[12:47:00.232] VIN: 2G1WF52E239193706
[12:47:00.270] OSID: 12580139
[12:47:00.295] Description: P04 Service No 12583827
[12:47:00.330] Calibration ID: 12580103
[12:47:00.356] Hardware ID: 12202600
[12:47:00.435] Serial Number: 1TMC212277
[12:47:00.467] MEC: 0
[12:47:00.503] Voltage: 11.9

2. Carl, looing at your post, your debug log indicates: "[15:51:57.741] Description: P04 Service No 12209624." Is it possible that your physical label shows service number 12209614 (as is the case with the one which arrived here today)? If this is the case, on both of ours, the physical label says one thing but the programmed service number is different. I've ordered another "12209614". This one is on the east coast (which is where I'm located), so hopefully in a few days I will be able to read that one and see what Service Number it says it is. Sorry for the delay, perhaps we'll have better luck on the next one.

3. I attached the Bin from the P04 that arrived today.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ProfessWRX
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:33 pm
cars: 04 Monte SSSC
04 Tahoe
92 Trans Am
Location: AZ USA

Re: PCMHammer P04

Post by ProfessWRX »

Service number on actual pcm case is 12209614.
User avatar
AngelMarc
Posts: 612
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:23 am
cars: A CB450 running to 8,000RPM with a P59.

Re: PCMHammer P04

Post by AngelMarc »

rjdrew1986 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2026 5:16 pm Antus has been telling us that P04 service numbers are all over the map. Based upon what we are seeing here, this sure appears to be the case...

1. The Service Number 12209614 that I ordered arrived. However when I read the properties with PCMH, it indicates it's a P04 Service No 12583827. Appearance-wise it looks like the cover has never been off.
...
debug log indicates: "[15:51:57.741] Description: P04 Service No 12209624." Is it possible that your physical label shows service number 12209614
Warranty/dealer updates?
Don't stress specific units.
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10012
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: PCMHammer P04

Post by antus »

There is nothing in the PCM that reports service numbers. They are collected from sources on the internet... and they're just not as accurate as I'd like. It doesn't matter though, its not 1:1 with service numbers in the first place, one OSID can often run on another service number and if you write that bin it'll still report the service number that it thinks it came out on.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
User avatar
AngelMarc
Posts: 612
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:23 am
cars: A CB450 running to 8,000RPM with a P59.

Re: PCMHammer P04

Post by AngelMarc »

My god, newer ECUs suck.
Don't stress specific units.