VY ecotec in VP. Options?

Information and discussion of EFI hardware and specifications
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10013
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: VY ecotec in VP. Options?

Post by antus »

VL400 wrote:I know with the SST branded chips most of the counterfeits were using silk screened logos while the genuine article has it laser etched.
Hmmmm.....
hmm.jpg
Bloody ebay. At least I must have been lucky, so far all working. This one was the worst looking of the bunch....

The plastic chip carrier they shipped in is labeled "SGS-THOMSON MICROELECTRONICS" and I wouldnt have expected counterfeiters to go that far, and I cant find a page on the net discussing SST forgeries on net... so who knows. I wouldnt be surprised either way. Sure cant trust random sellers on ebay.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: VY ecotec in VP. Options?

Post by vlad01 »

I knew straight away they could be counterfeit.

1. they are obsolete everywhere else.
2. available everywhere in china brand new.
3. any electronic component from china are normally inferior counterfeits.


when I used to work part time for a guy that serviced/repaired amps and PAs the Chinese knock offs were even knocked off at the component level.

we found most of the output devices (high power transistors, MOSFETs) when smashed open to reveal the die they were much smaller and crappy looking when compared to a smashed open genuine part.

So that meant that when the amps were driven hard but still within the specs they would blow regardless.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: VY ecotec in VP. Options?

Post by Holden202T »

so SST chips arn't available anymore either now ?
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: VY ecotec in VP. Options?

Post by vlad01 »

been looking everywhere I know from the days I used to do electronic. can't find any of the ones you guys mention or even the larger equivalents. They all appear to be obsolete.

I did find one SST used one from China that looks genuine, has the laser etching, those Chinese are getting clever though as the screen printed ones are now being printed with a browny ink to resemble the color of the laser etch. With my current work as a field tech/dealer/agent for digital cutters and some screen printing machines I know quite well about the printing industry so I can pick out exactly how the logos are made. Guess my job and what I have learned from it has come handy.


anyway I have found a few on Farnel (now known as element 14)

http://tinyurl.com/93rdg2f

problem is the Atmel ones are in stock but are too slow, 150ns

all other faster one from a different manufacture EEPROMs are either obsolete or out of stock.

FFS!


now this brings me to a question, can it be and if so how is real time tuning done, what hardware do I require and is trying to find a EEPROM relevant?

VL400 are you the one who makes the ALDL gear?
User avatar
VL400
Posts: 4991
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
Location: Perth, WA

Re: VY ecotec in VP. Options?

Post by VL400 »

Awhile back I worked out what the minimum access time was, I was thinking it was 120ns but after finding the post again the slowest that should work fine was 150ns. Can see the (very low res sorry) scope captures here .. https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopi ... 86&#p12086

Yeah I have some ALDL and NVRAM gear for sale :thumbup:
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: VY ecotec in VP. Options?

Post by vlad01 »

So what would be the best setup to do real time tuning just like MS ECUs do?

So the NVRAM is the replacement for the memcal? and that means I can forget about trying to find EEPROMs?
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: VY ecotec in VP. Options?

Post by Holden202T »

yeah get an 808 realtime board and then you wont need to use eeproms other than if you want to finalise the tune and burn it to an eprom, for this though you can get uv chips as they will most likely be a one off.

but thats only if you want to use the relatime stuff in another car.

other than that you'll just need a usb or serial interface, all of this stuff can be found in the for sale section, or pm VL400 and he'll sort you out!
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: VY ecotec in VP. Options?

Post by vlad01 »

I think going real time will be very useful as I do plan later on to rebuild the engine, have head work and cam done. most likely a cam and heads from COME racing as they developed a real nice custom cam and head combos for the ecotec for really crazy bottom and mid range torque and small increase in top end. Thats exactly what I want from my engine. So real time tuning will make it a lot easier to dial it in on the dyno.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: VY ecotec in VP. Options?

Post by Holden202T »

yeah man its money well spent, even just to fine tune the engine in stock forum will be worth it!
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10013
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: VY ecotec in VP. Options?

Post by antus »

VL400 has gone to a lot of effort to source genuine nvram chips for his kits also, as verified by the official manufacturer.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396