Wideband recommendation
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
Re: Wideband recommendation
Isn't the LSU ADV his sensor?
-
buzzard
- Posts: 39
- Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:25 pm
Re: Wideband recommendation
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8548
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Wideband recommendation
buzzard wrote: Tue Jul 29, 2025 1:37 pm My latest dealer price list (from 2016) shows 1750+ gst for MAFM1 B model log kit to suit NTK sensor. From memory the sensors were about $400-450 for LZA11, the better LZA03 sensors run about $800-1000 AUD.
Interestingly I was speaking to an ex GM-H pcm calibration engineer last year, he said he used the MAFM1 for calibration work at Holden.
Def not in the budget friendly bracket, but looks like some awesome quality and practical gear. I was looking to see if they have any knock ears or general purpose knock filtering modules, but they only have stuff for their ECUs. I still think the knock side of EFI tuning is still lacking for the DIY market. A lot of what is available lacks either features, compatibility and cost effectiveness, usually all 3. The latter is a big issue and keeps a critical tuning tool out of the hands of most DIY tuners.
-
buzzard
- Posts: 39
- Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:25 pm
Re: Wideband recommendation
For knock ears I use a Tascam DR-70D which I bought on ebay US at a very budget acceptable price. If you study the reaction time for auditory stimulus to muscle reaction i believe it is about 170 ms for elite level athletes. For the average person likely 250-300 ms. Considering the knocking cycles at 6K rpm for those reaction times, gives a good insight into robustness of many engine designs.vlad01 wrote: Thu Jul 31, 2025 6:53 ambuzzard wrote: Tue Jul 29, 2025 1:37 pm My latest dealer price list (from 2016) shows 1750+ gst for MAFM1 B model log kit to suit NTK sensor. From memory the sensors were about $400-450 for LZA11, the better LZA03 sensors run about $800-1000 AUD.
Interestingly I was speaking to an ex GM-H pcm calibration engineer last year, he said he used the MAFM1 for calibration work at Holden.
Def not in the budget friendly bracket, but looks like some awesome quality and practical gear. I was looking to see if they have any knock ears or general purpose knock filtering modules, but they only have stuff for their ECUs. I still think the knock side of EFI tuning is still lacking for the DIY market. A lot of what is available lacks either features, compatibility and cost effectiveness, usually all 3. The latter is a big issue and keeps a critical tuning tool out of the hands of most DIY tuners.
Am looking for a good bluetooth ear muffs (loud volume) if anyone has any input.
Festy's knock module was quite good, I used one on a 13B Turbo FC3S, Mazda very decently quoted the knock frequency in the FC workshop manual. Used a high speed input on Autronic SM4 into the WOT shift function which conveniently provided timing retard with the cut time set to zero. Worked well, tho not as good as the integrated Autronic module.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8548
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Wideband recommendation
I put myself down for the Festy's knock module, but he fell off the face of the earth and a few of us missed out on them.
I was looking at the Plex knock block years ago, but the price was out of my range at the time. I wonder if they still make those or not?
I was looking at the Plex knock block years ago, but the price was out of my range at the time. I wonder if they still make those or not?
-
hjtrbo
- Posts: 353
- Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:57 am
- cars: VF2 R8 LSA
FG XR6T
HJ Ute w/RB25DET
Re: Wideband recommendation
Tuner nerd knock ears are good for the budget home tuner. Really nice easy to use UI.
And for headphones the Sony WH1000XM3, WH1000XM4, WH1000XM5. I'm still using a pair of 3's from many years ago and am still very happy with them.
And for headphones the Sony WH1000XM3, WH1000XM4, WH1000XM5. I'm still using a pair of 3's from many years ago and am still very happy with them.
-
buzzard
- Posts: 39
- Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:25 pm
Re: Wideband recommendation
Thank for the input.hjtrbo wrote: Thu Jul 31, 2025 11:03 am Tuner nerd knock ears are good for the budget home tuner. Really nice easy to use UI.
And for headphones the Sony WH1000XM3, WH1000XM4, WH1000XM5. I'm still using a pair of 3's from many years ago and am still very happy with them.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8548
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Wideband recommendation
That's what I'm talking about. Thanks for sharing that, that unit looks killer and the price is good too. The logging and replay on screen would be a serious help with tuning.
-
Charlescrown
- Posts: 2076
- Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
- cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes - Location: Padstow NSW
Re: Wideband recommendation
There was a knock board design posted here some time back. I made 2 and boy are they sensitive but that's adjustable. Dirt cheap to make. I'll try and find the pic later today and pst it up.
-
Charlescrown
- Posts: 2076
- Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
- cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes - Location: Padstow NSW
Re: Wideband recommendation
Can't post the item addres fot the knock ears but this is the board I use.
Jaycar 20080307 with a piezo speaker as the pickup.
Jaycar 20080307 with a piezo speaker as the pickup.