TPS works when in neutral but not when in gear.

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10013
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: TPS works when in neutral but not when in gear.

Post by antus »

Writing a good bin should clear the code 51 memcal error. Then you can trust the system, and if you have other codes they are real. We're not saying that'll fix all the codes. You just want to check memcal error is gone, then you can tick that problem off the list.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Asho88
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2024 5:32 am
cars: Vh Commodore 253 looking to convert to fuel injection.

Re: TPS works when in neutral but not when in gear.

Post by Asho88 »

It’s fixed I moved the earth to a better spot and all the codes cleared except the TPS code so I’ll replace the TPS and see what happens.
Charlescrown
Posts: 2076
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes
Location: Padstow NSW

Re: TPS works when in neutral but not when in gear.

Post by Charlescrown »

The TPS is easily viewed with TunerPro. 1 volt closed 5 volt WOT approx. That tells you the TPS, wiring and ECU are all working.
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10013
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: TPS works when in neutral but not when in gear.

Post by antus »

Except his TPS didn't clear, so there must be an electrical fault in the sensor or the wiring, or unlikely but not impossible the ecm. Logging TPS voltage rather than position will show if there is low signal, or none.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Asho88
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2024 5:32 am
cars: Vh Commodore 253 looking to convert to fuel injection.

Re: TPS works when in neutral but not when in gear.

Post by Asho88 »

I will look into it further when I get a spare moment. At this point it gives me no reading on the dash position aka percentage reading with the ignition switched on but reads with engine running in park. I checked the power it’s getting 5v with ignition on waiting on a new sensor to try that. It is a second hand sensor I got with the manifold so could well be stuffed. Cheers
User avatar
delcowizzid
Posts: 5709
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
Location: Wellington NZ

Re: TPS works when in neutral but not when in gear.

Post by delcowizzid »

The earth's need to goto the engine block
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Asho88
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2024 5:32 am
cars: Vh Commodore 253 looking to convert to fuel injection.

Re: TPS works when in neutral but not when in gear.

Post by Asho88 »

Ok so finally had a bit of time and was curious popped the sensor off and realised when I swapped it out I fitted it incorrectly it wasn’t spring loaded so now that’s working. Thanks for all your help! As for the earth I’ll buy a joiner thing and fit it to the block or I’ll attach it to the back of the head.
Asho88
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2024 5:32 am
cars: Vh Commodore 253 looking to convert to fuel injection.

Re: TPS works when in neutral but not when in gear.

Post by Asho88 »

So for anyone having this issue in the future I thought I’d sorted it as I was getting a reading whilst running etc still had the low volts code so I persisted tried a new sensor messed around and searched I found that I was getting 0v at closed throttle turns out it’s supposed to read 0.5v. Now to the next issue the sensor is meant to go straight on with out a hitch it wasn’t grabbing up (I discovered in my researching that some throttles ran a little adapter inside the tps so it actually grabs up) mine didn’t have this nor had I seen it (could’ve been stuck in my very original sensor which I swapped out cause the casing was broken. Anyway I’m not sure if you can get the little adaptor so I ended up flattening a bit of alloy fuel tube and slide it over the throttle side and squashed it to fit in the sensor. Works spot on now bit dodgy but works I’ll keep an eye out for the adaptor.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: TPS works when in neutral but not when in gear.

Post by vlad01 »

Ahh the old plastic cap trap! I fell for that one a few times, they just fly off the shaft often when you remove the TPS since there is are washers and a spring behind them, that just launches that cap off the shaft one the TPS is removed, often lost under the car.

And boy does the car drive like shit when that cap falls off.


Interestingly, the very early 88-89 manufactured throttles used a fatter and different shaft that was the full size, and they did not run a plastic adapter cap. Those early ones ran the shaft directly in the casting and often wore out, the latter thinner shafts ran in sealed needle roller bearings which were much better, but required that cap that you lost.
Asho88
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2024 5:32 am
cars: Vh Commodore 253 looking to convert to fuel injection.

Re: TPS works when in neutral but not when in gear.

Post by Asho88 »

Well interestingly I have two throttles one VN (I believe ) and one VQ also two different tps’s so I dunno it’s working now that’s the main thing lol