Vt brake upgrade into an early girl

For non EFI mechanical discussion
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8548
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vt brake upgrade into an early girl

Post by vlad01 »

Just a tip, I found every single left hand VT to VZ caliper I could get my hands on are stuffed from the seal groove being rotted out from what I assume are from lack of proper service, even at the dealers. The left is the furthest from the ABS unit on the front, so it makes sense for it to have the most stagnant fluid. Luckily they make brand new ones now.


I'd spent many 100s on used calipers hoping just one left would be ok, nearly all the right ones were ok, just all the left ones were stuffed from pitting in the seal groove. All that could have paid for the new calipers and saved a ton of time and frustration. I didn't even know you could get new ones until Hoppers told me, then I searched on ebay and sure enough there are plenty of new ones now, it must have just come about during the end of covid when I was trying to put something together becasue I recall not even being able to find seal kits and pistons for them during that time, let alone whole new calipers.


I think the price is around 250 each for the DBA units, so cheaper than what they charge for a reco unit now, I think there are even cheaper china clones around, but I'd stick to a known standard of quality and certification, they are brakes after all.
Wade
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:29 pm
cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport

Re: Vt brake upgrade into an early girl

Post by Wade »

Yeah well, need to toss up if I’m just replacing the master cylinder that’s on it or still pushing forward with the vt brakes. I don’t think there’ll be much improvement just doing the master cylinder
Wade
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:29 pm
cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport

Re: Vt brake upgrade into an early girl

Post by Wade »

This car never had an a/c belt on it. So I chucked one on and noticed the nut on the front of the compressor was loose. Then seen the plug for the pressure switch wasn’t plugged in. Found this jammed in there
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wade
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:29 pm
cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport

Re: Vt brake upgrade into an early girl

Post by Wade »

Going over wiring and ripping out a lot of shit. Like look at that amp b+ wire lol. Don’t no what that was powering. Then looking around at any wiring that don’t look stock, and traced some wires back under the fuse box. That’s some kinda fuckery right there
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.