CF Bedford Van

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
User avatar
TdracerTd
Posts: 488
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:39 pm
cars: Td Gemini coupe (race car WIP)
Holden VE SS ute (tow car/daily)
Vp commodore V6 (race car, s/c, e85, intercooled)
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland (mrs car, family bus)
My12 subaru STi (Weekend warrior/Toy)
1972 LJ torana GTR (my Dad's car)
Mitsubishi Evo IX

Re: CF Bedford Van

Post by TdracerTd »

immortality wrote:Should be no comparison at all, day and night between Munroe and Bilsteins.

I had Bilsteins/Kings in my VH, was a hard ride at road legal speeds but at loose your license speeds it was planted and firm, rode really well.
I hope so. That's why I bought them. :)
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: CF Bedford Van

Post by Holden202T »

and im talking about a v8 brick :P im sure its not going to handle that awesome hehehe
User avatar
TdracerTd
Posts: 488
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:39 pm
cars: Td Gemini coupe (race car WIP)
Holden VE SS ute (tow car/daily)
Vp commodore V6 (race car, s/c, e85, intercooled)
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland (mrs car, family bus)
My12 subaru STi (Weekend warrior/Toy)
1972 LJ torana GTR (my Dad's car)
Mitsubishi Evo IX

Re: CF Bedford Van

Post by TdracerTd »

Holden202T wrote:and im talking about a v8 brick :P im sure its not going to handle that awesome hehehe
Monroe gt gas were good enough to take second in class over 6000cc unregistered at gatton street sprints this year.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: CF Bedford Van

Post by Holden202T »

so I was not happy with the sealing of the 2 bolt flanges, so I sorted the problem :) also finished painting it all!
WP_20150919_15_51_20_Pro.jpg
and I've almost finished off the general shape of the engine cover. I need to now remove it and the motor to finish off the bits around the front of the firewall right under the dash, and I also plan to cut it in half so the bottom half is more permanent (but still screwed in) and then the top can easily clip off to service etc, but then the bottom can come off if needing to remove motor etc .... the main issue is that if I leave it as one piece its pretty hard to get out with the dash and the seats in there.
WP_20150927_16_11_04_Pro.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: CF Bedford Van

Post by Holden202T »

bit more progress on the engine cover, after finishing off the main box part I ground back all the welds and put some primer on it, it was starting to get surface rust!
WP_20150930_20_03_55_Pro.jpg
next I've started working on the base to screw it to the floor, plan is to make all these sections, screw them all in place, then sit the engine cover inside them and weld it all up, including the parts where they are cut for the corners.
WP_20151007_22_48_57_Pro.jpg
and on the weekend I did a trip to Sydney to pick up a crewman diff, so its slowly getting under way, I still need to get at the very least another long axle, I'm debating what to do but I am thinking get a second diff which will get me the axle I need as well as having enough housing to cut and join without needing to add a section then have two welds .... it will also mean i'll have some spare brakes and such too.
crewman1.jpg
I knew from pictures that the crewman diff had a different flange on the front, so I got the tailshaft too, turns out that flange is by all accounts a CV shaft end like on an IRS setup! ... interesting, I guess it should be strong enough lol ?!?!?!

tell ya what, I can see why crewmans are so heavy! the diff with the springs on it was virtually impossible to lift, we ended up stripping the leaf springs off just to get it in the van!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
psyolent
Posts: 1597
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:52 am
cars: VT Berlina Series 2 Wago
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
SY Ford Territory
PD Hyundai nLine
SE Ford Capri
....too many fucking bikes

Re: CF Bedford Van

Post by psyolent »

why a crewman diff? why not just a standard bog warmer diff (aside from the required leaf attachment and welding BUT you have to weld/length it by the look anyway)??
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: CF Bedford Van

Post by vlad01 »

Think the issue was the the length of the axle.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: CF Bedford Van

Post by Holden202T »

the short answer is it will suit better :)

so if I was to get a vn-vs diff, and lengthen the short side with another long axle, that would give me a disc to disc length of approx. 1670mm. (and I have seen this in a Bedford on the forums)

stock Bedford diff is 1725mm so that still leaves a fair difference.

the crewman is 1680mm or close enough to it, I have not 100% confirmed axle length difference but someone on here said it was about 50mm longer so assuming that I do get a 2inch longer outcome it means the crewman lengthened will end up about 1730mm .... which if anything I want wider cause the commodore wheels have more back space offset compared to the Bedford wheels .....

so should end up pretty close - I did measure wheel offsets and worked out stock track compared to crewman lengthened track and it works out to be only a few mm's difference, but don't ask me where that info is at the moment haha!

also the Bedford mags sit out too far and the front vt twin conversion showed a good difference bringing the wheel in to just inside the guard, so if the rear ends up the same it will be better for engineering and rego and also looks better in my opinion.

I've done a lot of research into options and lengths, and I want to be able to get off the shelf parts like axles and such if that is ever needed, plus want commodore stud pattern and need to remedy the 4.6:1 diff that's original Bedford!

the diff above is 3.08 and there are also 3.46 or something like that so plenty of suitable options for my needs.
HQ355
Posts: 1217
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
cars: HQ Holden

Re: CF Bedford Van

Post by HQ355 »

Is the crown wheel bigger on the crewman compared to VN-VS Borg Warner ?
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: CF Bedford Van

Post by Holden202T »

to be honest I don't really know the details .... but crewman diffs are normally listed on ebay and such as M86 and 30 spline ?