The1's Daily

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
Holden202T

Re: The1's Daily

Post by Holden202T »

doesn't the spring hold pressure there, so a worn spring would indicate lower oil pressure ?

out of interest what oil grade are you running, cause when i first got the ecotec going i had 20w/50 in it (cause i had some there) but when i did an oil change i put 15w/40 in it i think it was, whatever the books recommended, and it had lower oil pressure and also seemed to use less fuel too!
The1

Post by The1 »

i am using 5w/50 mobil1 at the moment.

I dont know i havn't pulled an oil pump apart, not a mechanic lol

Only looked at this diagram. Looks like it would regulate pressure through centre of the filter?
oil pump.jpg
oil pump.jpg (65.45 KiB) Viewed 4705 times
The1

Post by The1 »

he's some more info for interest sake.
lubrication.jpg
lubrication.jpg (197.56 KiB) Viewed 4700 times
So between 60-70psi would be normal operating pressure above 1850rpm, above 70psi excess oil is bled off unfiltered, so obviously undesirable. Interested to see thoughts on this. Your oil pressure 60-70 with 10w-40 is normal then.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

well as i read that, the pressure valve should maintain the 414kpa, weather it goes around the filter or not is irrelevant other than not being desirable, but its better than no oil to the bearings :P

but if yours is higher then makes me wonder if its sticking maybe or gauge is out a bit or something like that ... other than that the only way to increase bleed pressure would be to shim the spring so theres more pressure on the piston.
The1

Post by The1 »

Thanks for the reply, Yeh i figured it's nothing bad 300k on clock and still running so far.

i checked the wideband controller and no config options for oil pressure sensor and it's bought from them so is what it's made for. Covers 0-145psi.

i guess ill find out if there's an issue when i pull the housing apart to replace the spring.
charlay86
cars: VT S1 SS (L67)

Post by charlay86 »

On a side note, for those who've never cut open a filter, the article is a bit ambiguous about the oil filter bypass valve, this is actually inside the oil filter, there is a spring and a valve located at the closed end of the canister.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

ahh right i didn't know the sender was for that specific setup, probably not out then :D
The1

Post by The1 »

quick extra pic of when i did the valve seals old ones were stuffed and falling apart.
IMG_0215.jpg
IMG_0215.jpg (311.5 KiB) Viewed 4688 times
The1

Post by The1 »

Holden202T wrote:ahh right i didn't know the sender was for that specific setup, probably not out then :D
yeh the SLC DIY2 can have a fair few different things hooked up, all available on there site which is all new now, has become a nice option for some people as you can flick through all the outputs on one box, can datalog with there software as well.

http://14point7.com/
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

The1 wrote:he's some more info for interest sake.
lubrication.jpg
So between 60-70psi would be normal operating pressure above 1850rpm, above 70psi excess oil is bled off unfiltered, so obviously undesirable. Interested to see thoughts on this. Your oil pressure 60-70 with 10w-40 is normal then.

excess is bled off into the sump via the relief valve. Nothing undesirable about that as that oil can not reach the bearings instead is picked up by the pickup and pumped again.

The only problem is that if we have a problem with too much pressure or suck open valve the oil recirculates through the oil pump unfiltered and say 300.000km later the oil pump is more worn than everything else due to the recirculating bleed oil.

Now the reason they install the relief valve before the oil filter is that in case the filter is blocked then the oil pressure can't be bled and the pressure will sky rocket and blow something so therefore it must be before the filter.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.