First fire up using Rt

Tuning The Delco In Realtime
charlay86
cars: VT S1 SS (L67)

Re: First fire up using Rt

Post by charlay86 »

The ECM does linear interpolation between values in the table, so it is best to make the table fairly smooth looking, spiky bits will probably have spiky results when driving.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

try getting the 50kpa values and put them in the 40kpa cells, or even just slightly lower than they are in the 50kpa and see if that helps, easy way to think about how it works is if you have say value of 30 ve at 40kpa and 50 ve at 50kpa draw a line between the two on a graph and then even just going 3-4kpa below 50kpa might drop your ve to just about 40 ve which is a massive drop for such a small change in kpa ....

by the way these are just random numbers :D

worst thats going to happen if the 40kpa is the same as 50 kpa then its just going to be a bit rich but thats fine :)
inj gtr202
cars: LC GTR Torana
1982 FJ40

Post by inj gtr202 »

Holden202 wrote:try getting the 50kpa values and put them in the 40kpa cells, or even just slightly lower than they are in the 50kpa and see if that helps, easy way to think about how it works is if you have say value of 30 ve at 40kpa and 50 ve at 50kpa draw a line between the two on a graph and then even just going 3-4kpa below 50kpa might drop your ve to just about 40 ve which is a massive drop for such a small change in kpa ....
I have pretty much done as you described...
The reason I was chasing my tail for so long was because I never actually thought the KPA dropped below 50... So I was ignoring the 40kpa column. Hopefully all is good now (if anything it way be a bit on the rich side as I kept fattening up the 50kpa column to stop it spiking)

cheers all
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

you'll find if you get up to say 4000rpm or so, then back right off the throttle it will pull up to maybe 30-40kpa, but then as the revs come down it will drop off (typical of bigger cams with little vacuum at idle!)

the other thing you can do if you want a bit more idea what its doing is add 25, 35, 45, 55, 65 etc kpa columns into your histograms then you will be able to see more clearly because you might find it will read as 50kpa till it gets below 45kpa then will switch to the 40kpa cell etc.

over time with enough driving in different conditions you'll get logs of all the areas mapped out but like the other guys said before, smooth areas that you don't hit to match the areas around them and it should get it reasonably close to begin with!
inj gtr202
1982 FJ40

Post by inj gtr202 »

Did a fair bit on Sunday, still a fair way to go......

Just for shits and giggles I threw the old memcal back in and went for a thrash. Kinda made me wonder why I'm bothering.... :cry: Once the old chip went in, the car felt 100% better. Only complaint being the high idle.

Got me thinking... Is it possible to Run the $A5 program with the new NVRAM board? that way I can directly copy my original tune, log it and then maybe have another crack at $12 stuff?

I really want to log the car running the old chip so I have a good starting point to aim for.

cheeers
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

i don't believe you can log the $a5 as i believe its early vn/vp ?
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

You could always take the easy option out and take it to classic performance and get ashley to sort out the tune for you then get it back running great on 12p, and still be able to log it etc. Hes good with the delco stuff and knows 12p.

http://www.classicperformance.com.au/
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
darcy

Post by darcy »

Somethign doesn't see to add up.
That last bin VL400 posed now has your injectors scaled to 60% of your $A5 tune, but your VE is only scaled to around 80%, so it should be much richer.

Is your wideband reading correctly?
Did you take a log of the $A5 memcal installed that you could compare against.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

that would probably do it :wtf:
inj gtr202
1982 FJ40

Post by inj gtr202 »

darcy wrote:Somethign doesn't see to add up.
That last bin VL400 posed now has your injectors scaled to 60% of your $A5 tune, but your VE is only scaled to around 80%, so it should be much richer.

Is your wideband reading correctly?
Did you take a log of the $A5 memcal installed that you could compare against.
Yes it is def on the rich side in the light throttle openings. Once the foot goes down it starts to lean out. (that is on the 12p tune). Doesn't make sence to me because the tables where created directly from the $A5 bin that Antus read for me at the start.

The wideband is fine. As soon as the old memcal goes in it is a smooth as butter and it reads the values you would expect.. flat out it is around the 12.5 mark. Light load cruising is in the mid 13's.

I would like to log the $A5 but I don't know if I can