VS Commodore 202 Drag Car :)

Post any other rides you have here
Holden202T

Re: VS Commodore 202 Drag Car :)

Post by Holden202T »

I know its not the flexplate as we could see all that and it all looked fine, its steel cam and crank gears, but definitely sounds more of a solid noise than that though. i'm putting my money on a big end or a piston issue, but its runs fine as far as not missing so I don't think its a piston issue so much.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

oh an the pistons are acl race series
vs ss
cars: hsv enhanced vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1

Post by vs ss »

Flex plate to crank bolts?
Just hard to pick up how deep the noise is in the video.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

sounds like piston skirt failure to me, or something piston related.

bottom end is a much deeper more dull sound and constantly persistent. All of which this isn't
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Holden202T wrote:oh an the pistons are acl race series
those are generally cast.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

Sounds like you fitted a diesel engine!
How did the car go before the noise appeared?
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

I keep listening to the noise and it seems like it disappears when the revs are up but at low revs real rattle. I did have a Holden that spun the bearings and the pistons started hitting the head. It still ran OK. Very similar noise. It made it difficult to diagnose because it wasn't the norm. I took out the plugs and turned the engine over just past TDC then with a screwdriver through the plug hole you could lever the piston down a few millimeters. Might be worth a try.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah they are cast pistons, but they are also not really working that hard, the hq race cars use them all day long, i'd say its either leaned out or knocked enough to hurt a bearing or something, the other thing I noticed, it was nowhere near as bad on the day it happened to when it was cold in that video, which leads me to thinks its something that oil pressure can assist with to lessen the rattle, like a big end etc.

not bothering with much in car diagnosis, just going to rip the motor and stripe it down, my brother is going LS1 in it anyways so we'll just start down that path, this motor was only ever a "for the mean time" to get the car back on the track while he works on the LS1.

it has done a few yrs in the Gemini on the dyno a few times plus copious race meetings, all with constant abuse so im not surprised :P

as far as how it went before the failure, it did 4 passes that day, 9.2-9.3's over the 1/8th, and the last run I did and it was 9.293 @ 119.28kph and it sounded totally fine, and I didn't notice the knock at all coming back to the pits, it was just when I got back to the pits and put it in park and then there was an occasional noise!

we were probably only going to get one more run that day anyways so we decided to trailer it and go back to the caravan park and have a look over it after it cooled down, plugs looked fine, crank and torque converter bolts all looked fine and when lying under it on the trailer running could hear the noise was rear of the motor and a lot louder under the car than above it.

so we got drunk :D
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

well motor came out this arvo, sump off, pulled all the rod caps, nothing there, pulled all the mains, nothing there either.

all the flex plate bolts were still tight as, as were the converter bolts and the locating bush looks normal!

so we moved to the top end, all the rocker gear and springs looked fine, nothing visually wrong with the lifters, so we pulled the head, all the valves look alright and all the tops of the pistons look fine, as do the bores.....

so we are left with broken rings or pistons, or maybe the cam gear or something, but I couldn't see anything obvious from the bottom of the motor!

so we'll have to get the balancer off so we can see the front of the motor and rule out cam.... bit of a mystery still.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

might of smashed the convertor to bits LOL
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem