Brake pads.

For non EFI mechanical discussion
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8548
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Brake pads.

Post by vlad01 »

The bracket as in the steel bit that the caliper slides in.
Charlescrown
Posts: 2076
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes
Location: Padstow NSW

Re: Brake pads.

Post by Charlescrown »

Ah now I understand. They used a different caliper support bracket with the same caliper as the earlier models to accomodate a larger rotor. . OK on the VL turbo calipers yes they look a tad stronger than the std ones.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8548
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Brake pads.

Post by vlad01 »

Yep! :thumbup:

The difference from 270 to 290 with the stiffer calipers is quite noticeable, but the pads in this case were what I feel 80% of the improvement.

Since I was replacing the rotors anyway, it was a no brainer to go for the 290mm ones.
Charlescrown
Posts: 2076
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes
Location: Padstow NSW

Re: Brake pads.

Post by Charlescrown »

Yea the slightly bigger rotor does make a difference in braking power.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8548
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Brake pads.

Post by vlad01 »

First day at work on these pads and lots of traffic on the way in. They are very touchy now and I am having a bit of trouble getting used to them. I tapped the pedal moderately on the Bolte bridge and there was a marking on the lane and slightly damp and I instantly locked up front left lol. They have increased in their responsiveness a lot since I installed them. Currently 3/4 front and 2/3 rear pad contact.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8548
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Brake pads.

Post by vlad01 »

Hi guys, history repeats yet again!

At the point that I will need to be considering pads for the white car when I start going over the suspension and brake.

The issue is, Brakes Direct when bust a few months ago without my knowledge so the supply of Forza pads is gone, trust me I looked high and low for Forza pads to suit Holden but came up empty handed, only a few sellers for Euro performance cars, and that's it.

I re-visited EBC which I had good luck over a decade ago, but they have gone to crap too, many complaints that they were worse than OEM and instant rotor warping during the bed in was very common complaint. Thei colour tiers have moved down a number of spots, what was high end in the green and red are now garbage tier pads, what is considered street/track for the Blue, is less than the greens were a decade ago and comparable to the DBA performance pads offered now which I tried and were awful.

DBA have nothing new to offer since I last tried them.

I am out of ideas :wall:

Looked at bremtec, but didn't get far when there wasn't any Holden options. That was just a random guess, no idea if they are any good.

I vaguely recall there are some performance RDA pads, but I had a bad experience with RDA stuff in the past, had not used their pads though so there might be a chance?

Really wish I could get the Forza FP3s, they are awesome pads and last ages and don't wear the rotors all that much considering and they aren't damaged permanently if you overheat the pads/rotors, they always recover with a small amount of normal driving to de-glaze them. Other pads I had used, once they burned, they never got their friction back. The DBA were shocking for this.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8548
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Brake pads.

Post by vlad01 »

Figured I'd update this. Ended up getting Intima SR pads last year, but still haven't got around to getting the brakes done due to health, time and lack of money for the calipers and hubs.

But a few months ago I spotted Forza operating out of ebay only, it's one of the main guys out of GSL rally sport/Brakes Direct when they went under.

So I ended up buying a pair for the shitbox as they are getting low, but for the white car I might chuck the Intima pads on the red VP restro mod with the conversion bits I stashed for the VP S years ago so I don't need to spend any money before I try to sell it, and then start over on the white VP with the pads and get the Forza ones like I tried the first time.