From my experience, most modules are safe to program as their internal boot code will prevent a permanent brick until a completed OS/Cals is performed.
ALTHOUGH, some modules cause much better headaches then others. Perfect example is the 2013-ish to 2019 GMC/Chev instrument clusters, some variants that require an operating system update, will then have the screen will go completely black and no longer operate. This is due to requiring a USB update, which, I am sure some techs have found out the hard way, does not always get detected after the OS update.
As for MDI SN, I am pretty sure they are scanning the logs that get uploaded to their server after the app loads in. These logs do not appear to disappear afterwards, so I believe they scan them every single time.
I had a local workshop have their account flagged due to using a clone MDI, so they created a fresh account and bought a genuine MDI2 straight from Bosch, but their account flagged still after their first session.
The email they got from support suggested to clean install Techline and wipe away old traces before using it again.
Im guessing the above.. is what causes some people to get caught out?
MDI Clones and Techline
-
Tazzi
- Posts: 3626
- Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:53 am
- cars: VE SS Ute
- Location: WA
Re: MDI Clones and Techline
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726

Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726

-
x_Celestia
- Posts: 3
- Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:14 am
- cars: 2009 SBM VE Series 1:
LFX SIDI || Tremec TR-3160 6MT || 3.91 final, Zeta II front suspension conversion || Zeta II ZL1 EPS || Zeta II Z/28 EBCM
Re: MDI Clones and Techline
Had to do some programming today and used SPS2, totally forgetting to use my real MDI1 as opposed to my clone. I went to do some MCVM updating and when I started the car (as instructed) windows no longer recognized the device and the clone was flashing erratically between the red error LED and green power LED. Smelled heavily of magic smoke too
. I noticed the banner on ACDelcoTDS is no longer present about banning accounts using clones as I assume it was ruled somewhere to be illegal to prevent use of clones (if they're J2534 compliant tools, right?).
Fwiw, I powercycled the clone and it boots up as normal. Took it apart quickly and nothing looks cooked but all of the components got quite warm, clearly.
Just curious on others' experiences regarding GM's stance on the clones now.
Fwiw, I powercycled the clone and it boots up as normal. Took it apart quickly and nothing looks cooked but all of the components got quite warm, clearly.
Just curious on others' experiences regarding GM's stance on the clones now.
-
ironduke
- Posts: 820
- Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:32 pm
- cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..
Re: MDI Clones and Techline
That was probably the Clone acting up, you might find out you lost partial communication. I had one get hot and smell and I ended up losing low speed lan pin 1 communication..
afaik they are still banning accounts left and right for using clones and vpn connection.. You wouldn't see anything on your account until you try to log in again..
afaik they are still banning accounts left and right for using clones and vpn connection.. You wouldn't see anything on your account until you try to log in again..
-
antus
- Site Admin
- Posts: 10012
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
- cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007
Re: MDI Clones and Techline
if you smelt the smoke surely there is physical damage to the mdi. probably not related to techline. clones are made by anyone and everyone and quality is not consistant. consistant good hardware quality is what you pay for in the genuine item.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
-
x_Celestia
- Posts: 3
- Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:14 am
- cars: 2009 SBM VE Series 1:
LFX SIDI || Tremec TR-3160 6MT || 3.91 final, Zeta II front suspension conversion || Zeta II ZL1 EPS || Zeta II Z/28 EBCM
Re: MDI Clones and Techline
Welp...401 error logging in today and it was above the help desk's ability, needing to send an email. Hopefully they can reinstate my account. Warning for those looking on, I suppose: They're still blocking offending accounts. I do wonder how it's not in violation of Right to Repair laws (for US consumers) to block the use of the clones though. Real shame of it is that I actually own a genuine unit, too. I just didn't think to check which one I had grabbed for the MCVM. I keep the clone around as a "daily driver" for GDS as the ports often get messed up from being stepped on or pulled when getting in/out of a vehicle.
-
ironduke
- Posts: 820
- Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:32 pm
- cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..
Re: MDI Clones and Techline
Just a small update but dealer personal can have their account blocked for this.. A technician here is working on getting his account unlocked as I'm typing.. He swears he didn't program with it and only used it for diag with tech2win and gds2.. afaik they were only looking at serial numbers with programming so not sure if I believe him about that.. Yes he has the infamous serial and declined me changing it for him a couple times.. said he doesn't program with it so didn't want to bother..
-
antus
- Site Admin
- Posts: 10012
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
- cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007
Re: MDI Clones and Techline
Not sure, but read Tazzi's post a few above yours about it uploading logs from the system when it connects. Maybe using it with GDS2 or Tech2win was enough to get the serial in the logs.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
-
Gatecrasher
- Posts: 435
- Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:09 pm
Re: MDI Clones and Techline
Probably on the basis of trademark and IP infringement. It's pretending to be a trademarked and patented GM tool. Other cheap J-tools don't do that.x_Celestia wrote:I do wonder how it's not in violation of Right to Repair laws (for US consumers) to block the use of the clones though.
-
Tazzi
- Posts: 3626
- Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:53 am
- cars: VE SS Ute
- Location: WA
Re: MDI Clones and Techline
Same thing, I hear about tools being banned every week, some of which are only using for GDS2/tech2win through their accounts.antus wrote: Mon Jul 28, 2025 1:16 pm Not sure, but read Tazzi's post a few above yours about it uploading logs from the system when it connects. Maybe using it with GDS2 or Tech2win was enough to get the serial in the logs.
Im guessing its an automated system which scans for specific serials and just automatically blacklists the account.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726

Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726

-
ironduke
- Posts: 820
- Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:32 pm
- cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..
Re: MDI Clones and Techline
Thanks, That kind of answers my co-workers first question which was if he never programmed with it could he use it for diagnostics only.. Course I have offered many times to change the serial number on it but he just wasn't interested, no matter how many times I told him they'd lock him out he thought he was special because he's a dealer tech.. He did actually just order his own mdi2 though, shocked the heck out of me.. Now the fun part of getting his account unlocked, he's refusing to do anything and expects the sm to do it for him.. sm is asking me how to do it, lmao.. I had already handed him a printout of very short instructions on how to get started provided to me by someone from gm.Tazzi wrote: Mon Jul 28, 2025 10:43 pmSame thing, I hear about tools being banned every week, some of which are only using for GDS2/tech2win through their accounts.antus wrote: Mon Jul 28, 2025 1:16 pm Not sure, but read Tazzi's post a few above yours about it uploading logs from the system when it connects. Maybe using it with GDS2 or Tech2win was enough to get the serial in the logs.
Im guessing its an automated system which scans for specific serials and just automatically blacklists the account.