vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: The1's Daily

Post by vlad01 »

The1 wrote:ok got another printout today, also i didn't pickup on the HP figure on the after rockers graph, it's the HP from the retarded run, so HP is actually higher! Here's before and after rockers correctly shown! So i gained 11.2HP
did you install new valve springs while you did this?
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
The1

Post by The1 »

thanks for the replys

yes i installed new rockers, springs, retainers, stem seals, pushrods and rocker bolts.

Link here back a few pages.
https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopi ... =20#p23218
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

ah good, should be ok then. :thumbup:

most people don't and then cry when the springs break lol.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
The1

Post by The1 »

yeh seen it happen fair few times before. Got the parts at good prices so put them on, otherwise prob wouldn't have bothered until new engine time, then get a cam done with it.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

if you do get the engine done later on, focus on the cam and heads and forget the rockers, use the stock ones with larger cams. They are too much trouble and risk all kinds of problems with the valve train geometry and possible failures.
The1

Post by The1 »

well i only noticed it the other day that it's been hard to crank when cold, i noticed when i started the engine up from cold and idled for a while i put my hand on the alternator and burnt myself, got the DMM probe and measured case temp at 120c :o

i checked all the usual faults, brushes and main wire to the alternator, took the belt off and spins freely, also checked standby current draw and key on current draw and nothing out of the ordinary, thinking the battery has a bad cell and is drawing alot of current? heating the alternator up by working it really hard, battery is 6yrs old a bosch one. Mate had a tip to test the battery cells stick one end in each hole in the fluid and should be 2volts each cell, i have one cell down at 1.67volts.

I have ordered a new SMF acdelco battery anyway in hope that it is the problem.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221144755932 ... 1089wt_923

If it isn't the battery anyone got any other ideas? The alternator is the bigger 100amp version, bought only a few years ago.
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

It is fairly common with age to have bad connection where the power wire goes on the back to the battery, but that normally melts the wire & not alternator?
The1

Post by The1 »

yeh i knew about that issue and fixed mine up good when i put the new alternator on

i had trikky73 check his alternator temps and was 67c which you would think is the normal temp.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah i reckon thats a fair bit hotter than any other alternator i've seen, i know with commodores they will geat heat soak but not that much!!
The1

Post by The1 »

just an update to the alternator issue, new battery in, temps back to normal, 59c after 30min drive to work, so seems old battery had dropped a cell sucking all the current out of the alternator. :hmm: