First RT Tuning Experience - OSE 12P BCLF based Camaro

Tuning The Delco In Realtime
redcamaro

Re: First RT Tuning Experience - OSE 12P BCLF based Camaro

Post by redcamaro »

Jayme wrote:I have no idea what you mean by alternative step.

as for open / closed loop theres a few things that can turn it on and off. the main one is:
Map A: A/F Ratio - 20-100kPa Air Fuel ratio vs RPM and MAP - when the cell = 14.70 then its closed loop. if the cell is anyhting else its open loop and it strives to acheive the AF ratio in that cell. (by using the VE table and air temp / map sensor to calculate air mass and apply a formula.)
There's a variable called "Alternate Step" - don't know what it does, thought it may be related.

You say "when the cell = 14.70 then its closed loop" does that "14.7" mean - when it equals the corresponding value in the A/F Ratio - 20-100kPa Air Fuel Vs RPM and MAP table, or something else?

Was just on a Dyno and we changed that 'A/F Ratio table' - and part of the VE Table to get the fuelling right. Probably not the right way to go about it?

Also changed the Run A/F Params - Stoichometric A/F ratio from 14.7 to 13.50, and played with the Flag for "Use F60 Air Fuel vs RPM and MAP - probably also the wrong way to go?

Had to stop because didn't know about the Fuelling Mode Crossover Point... So thanks Jayme, for the reply :thumbup:

I'm sure it was done the wrong way, and there'll probably be adverse effects ???
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

leave the fuel ratio table as stock it doesnt need changing change the injector constant so most of the fueling is close then use the VE table to tune each rpm point. set the stoich a/f ratio back to 14.7..set coolant temp for closed loop to 151 degrees and change ve table until actual ratio matches commanded ratio in run a/f ratio table
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
charlay86
cars: VT S1 SS (L67)

Post by charlay86 »

redcamaro wrote:You say "when the cell = 14.70 then its closed loop" does that "14.7" mean - when it equals the corresponding value in the A/F Ratio - 20-100kPa Air Fuel Vs RPM and MAP table, or something else?
It is allowed to go into closed loop when the ecm is operating in a cell in the AFR vs RPM vs MAP table that is equal to the Stoichometric A/F ratio parameter (which should be 14.7 for petrol).
redcamaro wrote:Was just on a Dyno and we changed that 'A/F Ratio table' - and part of the VE Table to get the fuelling right. Probably not the right way to go about it?
Every Engine likes slightly different A/F ratios under different conditions to make the most power.
The VE table is adjusted so that the Actual A/F ratio that is delivered to the engine is the same as that the ECM is commanding.
redcamaro wrote:Also changed the Run A/F Params - Stoichometric A/F ratio from 14.7 to 13.50
Should not touch this unless you are running a different fuel, this is used to determine the A/F ratio that it can go into closed loop (for closed loop to work the O2 sensor has to swing rich - lean - rich.. to work properly, if the A/F ratio is not set to stoich for the fuel, it will not be able to do this)
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Playing with the flag "set=Use F60 Air Fuel ratio vs RPM and MAP Table, clear=Stoich A/F" is a bad idea as it makes the target AFR whatever your stoich value is for all loads. Leave it alone so it uses the table value (ie set!). The alernative step, can leave that alone too as its for a different closed loop fuel mode that you dont need to use.

This is extremely good advice and I would suggest sticking to it...
Jayme wrote:you dont need to go finding every obscure setting and buggering round with it, you will end up chasing your tail..... you will be able to get it running pretty sweet by just touching hte VE table. if you get to 99 in your VE table and its still lean, then you go and raise the injector rate some more and start again.
By all means ask questions about things but blindly playing is going to either confuse you, stuff the tune or cost you $$. Ask first and then decide if its the right thing to adjust :thumbup:
redcamaro

Post by redcamaro »

VL400 wrote: This is extremely good advice and I would suggest sticking to it...
Jayme wrote:you dont need to go finding every obscure setting and buggering round with it, you will end up chasing your tail..... you will be able to get it running pretty sweet by just touching hte VE table. if you get to 99 in your VE table and its still lean, then you go and raise the injector rate some more and start again.
By all means ask questions about things but blindly playing is going to either confuse you, stuff the tune or cost you $$. Ask first and then decide if its the right thing to adjust :thumbup:
I agree, that is a good tip... I had to do it the way the dyno operator said, so as to continue...

I will try to redo it the right way - as you're all suggesting, and retain the current tune. Going to the Dyno, combined with all of you delcohacker's advice today and yesterday was a great learning experience.

BTW... I saw your fuel pressure comments while I was there, so we stopped and adjusted it back to 44 Psi. :thumbup:
redcamaro

Post by redcamaro »

Attached the Dyno output chart and fuelling output... tune is still not complete.
214 bhp @ 5200 RPM (at wheels)
1158 ft/lbs torque (at wheels)
redcamaro dyno1 chart
redcamaro dyno1 chart
redcamaro-dyno1-output-chart-small.jpg (151.79 KiB) Viewed 5009 times
See below, the corresponding "Fuel Graph File .002"
redcamaro dyno1 fuel
redcamaro dyno1 fuel
redcamaro-dyno1-output-fuel-small.jpg (86.55 KiB) Viewed 5009 times
any comment?
redcamaro

Post by redcamaro »

Attached TP5 tune (bin file) and 3 logs in zip archive, all from first dyno session.

The tune base was redcamaro_tune delcowizzid_2-fixed.bin from https://pcmhacking.net/forums/view ... 3&start=49
redcamaro-dyno1-final.bin
redcamaro dyno1 final tune - not done yet;-)
(32 KiB) Downloaded 275 times
Note: this tune is done incorrectly as mentioned earlier... needs to be re-done "the right way"
redcamaro-dyno1-logs.zip
redcamaro dyno1 logs
(714.84 KiB) Downloaded 281 times
as always... any comments, suggestions, or changes to the tune that you would like me to try in the car?
redcamaro

Post by redcamaro »

I was lazy and decided to turn on VE Learn with the tune as is I.e. done the wrong way... It immediately started getting worse. That's to be expected I guess... the targets still set at 14.0
redcamaro

Post by redcamaro »

Here's a thought for comment...

if your tune is "close", and you turn on ve learn function - you'll get spikes (in ve table) during acceleration and deceleration, right?

can those spikes help you to tune the AE and DE parameters?
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

It wont have spikes from AE and DE as its disabled during those modes.