Immortalities totally random thread

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Re: Immortalities totally random thread

Post by immortality »

So more testing this morning.

First thing to note, it's still got a vac leak but it's no-where near as bad (or loud) as it was last night. Makes me think gasket.

Boost bypass valve is working as per normal. Disconnected the vac lines to it. No difference. Had a good look over the injectors, all good. Double checked using the poor mans stethoscope (long piece of rubber hose) and only normal noises around the injectors.

So either the supercharger isn't sealed properly to the LIM or the Elbow to Supercharger gasket is no good.

I'm thinking now that it's got I will re-torque the supercharger and see what that does.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Instructions from the factory manual are stage 1. 14Nm +/- 4 stage 2. 24Nm +3

Last night I went to 24Nm on stage 2. Just taken it to 26Nm which is the limit of my 1/4" torque wrench. Also tightened the elbow to blower bolts but seemed to make no difference.
psyolent
cars: VN S Pack
VX Berlina Series 1
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
RN105 V8 Hilux
VT Series 1 Track Car

Post by psyolent »

a good hose of SYB around the usual culprits? and a good fire hose of it? any change?

otherwise maybe rig up a smoke machine and force it in to see if you can let any smoke out of the wires?
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
immortality

Post by immortality »

I'm out of SYB and no car here to run errands as the boy has gone to work :(

It was still no go after re-torquing blower....

So since then it's been off, gasket faces cleaned and given a light coating of silicon. The manifold was machined to suit W2A so along the sides in a couple of locations there isn't a lot of surface to seal on, less than 10mm wide. Normally when fitting W2A cores they use silicon rather than gaskets so I'm hoping the addition of some silicon improves the situation. I also re-did the elbow gasket which has also been coated with sealant.

She's all back together now but I'm going to give the sealant some time to cure before starting her up again. Fortunately I didn't have drop the coolant :)

Unfortunately the arm has said thrown a spanner in the works and said "no more"

If this doesn't sort it the only thing I can think that could be causing the issues are the LIM gasket but that's not something I've ever seen before.

Getting better at pulling these apart though, this time around it was about 2 hours to pull it apart and have it all back together again :)
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

hopefully that's all it is, its a sucky thing to have to pull a motor apart for a leak just after finishing it all
immortality

Post by immortality »

Well the news is in and it's no good :(

Put vacuum gauge on it, idles rock steady on 20" Hg.......

Very high pitched whistle. I've gone over all hoses and external stuff but nothing makes a difference. The only thing left really are the LIM gaskets but with my arm playing up that is a job for another day.

I've driven it around the block and it seems to run ok other than the bloody whistle.....
immortality

Post by immortality »

Odd.

Missus started car a while ago and I couldn't hear the whistle?

Checked it when she got back a little while later and although it is still there it is very much reduced. Very odd indeed. Will monitor oil/water etc over the next few days but it seems to get less each heat cycle. odd indeed.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

what LIM gaskets did you use? the alloy ones?
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
vs ss
cars: hsv enhanced vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1

Post by vs ss »

This might sound strange, but does the noise disappear if you remove the oil cap?
Just that over the years I've had similar things happen when a breather hole was blocked causing it to pull a full vacuum in the crankcase and whistle through the seals.
Just throwing some ideas around.
immortality

Post by immortality »

I used the Alloy LIM gaskets.

I did try removing the oil filler cap. No difference unfortunately.

edit: checked it this morning, took it for a spin. Absolutely no whistling noise. idle is reasonably stable, runs well etc.

At this stage I'll monitor but call it satisfactory. Get some data logging done and then get the next mod done for which the supercharger will have to come off anyway so I'll re-visit the LIM gaskets too at that stage as a sanity check.