VX L67 with 69mm TB Cold start stalling

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: VX L67 with 69mm TB Cold start stalling

Post by vlad01 »

or leaky injectors.

i also found leaky intake gaskets floods the engine with coolant after sitting a while running.
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: VX L67 with 69mm TB Cold start stalling

Post by immortality »

The original problem was that on a completely cold start it would stall. 99% certain it was related to the fact that I am using a VS TB on a VX which has a larger IAC stepper motor pintle/passages. Got around it mostly by using the VS SC settings IAC settings although we never really figured out which settings actually controlled the IAC stepper motor decay rate.

The current issue is the weird noise which I'm 99.9% certain is been caused by the IAC. Happens mostly as the engine is returning to idle, just above idle, can't seem to re-create the noise sitting idling in the driveway with the transmission in park.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: VX L67 with 69mm TB Cold start stalling

Post by vlad01 »

what sort of noise is it?
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: VX L67 with 69mm TB Cold start stalling

Post by immortality »

exactly like a belt squeal but it's not. The weird thing is it can also be heard through the exhaust.
User avatar
Gareth
Posts: 2678
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:37 am
Location: Bacchus Marsh, Vic

Re: VX L67 with 69mm TB Cold start stalling

Post by Gareth »

at the tailpipe?
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: VX L67 with 69mm TB Cold start stalling

Post by immortality »

Impossible to say as I can't recreate the issue with the vehicle stationary unfortunately. The changes I made yesterday has seemed to have reduced the noise somewhat though.

Going to try a different stepper motor tonight when the missus comes home.