Im the one that created the xml files for UP. All were compared with EFI Live to verifyHopefully, I can clear up the confusion.
I believe the 9365095 you are referring to is the 99burb bin that was posted by cmaje72 in this thread, which is from a 5.7. The 9365095 that I am referring to is one that I downloaded from my pcm, which came from a 98 gmc k1500 with a 4L60-E transmission. When I load this bin into Universal Patcher using the xml file that Antus provided, it shows the transmission type as manual, which is incorrect. Also, I checked the vin reported by the bin file and it is the save as that in the truck.
This is the bin file I was reffering to
PCM Hammer 98/99 Black Box Support
-
sparepartsblazer
- Posts: 89
- Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:18 am
- Location: Missouri
Re: PCM Hammer 98/99 Black Box Support
-
CDNL
- Posts: 32
- Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2026 9:24 pm
Re: PCM Hammer 98/99 Black Box Support
I wasn't saying that the xmls in Universal Patcher are not correct, and I wasn't trying to imply that Antus was the author of the xmls in Universal Patcher. I was referring to this post by Antus, where we were discussing my particular 9365095 bin file.That's interesting. The numbers were so close I took a look at the bins. I can see a shift of about +6 bytes from about 0x10030 but looking at the UP XML for 9365085 all defined items are below this range. I also found a couple of other pieces that looked different, but they were small and then it gets back in sync. I looked for items defined in those suspect ranges and I found none. So I think that means the 9365085 XML should also work for 9365095. So I modified the xml to have the 9365095 OSID and changed the filename and nothing else. You can try this file and see if it looks right. If it checks out maybe it can also be added to UP.
Attachments
9365095.zip
(15.49 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and li
I hope that clarifies things
-
CDNL
- Posts: 32
- Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2026 9:24 pm
Re: PCM Hammer 98/99 Black Box Support
Sparepartsblazer were you able to make a proper xml file for os 9365095? If so, would you consider sharing it?by sparepartsblazer » Thu Apr 23, 2026 10:14 pm
Looks like the 9365095 trans type is a couple bytes off. Will have to dig a little deeper to find itby sparepartsblazer » Thu Apr 23, 2026 10:49 pm
Found it. The 9365095 trans type address is 000148EF. Six byte offset from the 9365085.
Thanks in advance
-
sparepartsblazer
- Posts: 89
- Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:18 am
- Location: Missouri
Re: PCM Hammer 98/99 Black Box Support
No havent dug into it. Dont know when I will have time to.CDNL wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2026 6:07 pmSparepartsblazer were you able to make a proper xml file for os 9365095? If so, would you consider sharing it?by sparepartsblazer » Thu Apr 23, 2026 10:14 pm
Looks like the 9365095 trans type is a couple bytes off. Will have to dig a little deeper to find itby sparepartsblazer » Thu Apr 23, 2026 10:49 pm
Found it. The 9365095 trans type address is 000148EF. Six byte offset from the 9365085.
Thanks in advance
-
Forgemaster98
- Posts: 5
- Joined: Thu May 14, 2026 12:29 am
- cars: 1995 k3500 5.0 nv3500, 1998 c2500 5.7 4l60e, 2003 suburban 5.3 4l60e
Re: PCM Hammer 98/99 Black Box Support
Just to add to this Thank you so much for the help I was able to get my 98 GMC c2500 back on the road after I had something in the immobilizer fail thanks for all the help. I have attached my stock file and the newly flashed file. The OBDX pro GT was a great purchase.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
splashd
- Posts: 3
- Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2026 3:55 am
- cars: 1998 Suburban K1500
Re: PCM Hammer 98/99 Black Box Support
My 98 burbie K1500 intermittently kicked on the security light,,,no start until i did the relearn thing. An inconvenience until it happened to my wife, and stranded her: Then it became life-threatening (for me
). I had a choice: 1. do the wire cut resistor thing to fool VATS, or 2. PCM Hammer that bad boy to make it learn there is no such thing as a bad key...In fairness the cut and resistor thing would only cost about 5 bucks and an hour, but where's the fun in that?
I joined the forum, DLed PCM Hammer, UP, got a cable and went to it.
1998 blackbox pcm. OSID: 16263425 Description: Vortec Black Box 98/99 Service No 9366810 or 9355699
Step one: I failed miserably--could not get PCM hammer to see nothin'--root cause USB cable did not like plug into USB 3 port. Plugged into a USB 2.0 hub plugged into USB 3 port--all good.
Step 2: I failed more miserabler --Could not read crap until I thought to manually choose "blackbox" , then I was able to read the PCM *FiNALLY* at 1x speed. I sucked it into UP and disabled VATS, resaved as a new bin. I then used PCM Hammer to write it...almost. I actually killed my Burbie! Cable that could read PCM, could not write PCM., but I was able to erase enough to make the K1500 undriveable.
The resistor and wire cut was looking pretty good but that ship had sailed...
Good news: Bought an OBDX Pro VX, it showed up and I was able to attach to the OBD2 port, and flash my NoVATS modded bin with no problemo! Great product along with great tools. Burbie starts first time, every time now...
More lessons-learned: Good idea to pull radio, cluster fuses to keep any bus noise down--can't hurt anyhow. Also realized the on blackbox/old Vortec, read properties won't work, which kinda freaked me out initially as I thought I'd broken my PCM or had a crap cable, but no--it normal for blackbox. Also the checksums always showed bad when I tried to use UP to write PCM--not sure why. WHen I opted for PCM Hammer standalone to program, it went swimmingly.
Thanks to all you guys who make idiots like me functional. Last tip: If/when you disable VATS, Security light is solid lit. For your wife to trust the ride, you'll have to pulll out the cluster and pop out that bulb.
If anyone needs the clean BIN for their library or whatever, I can share...
I joined the forum, DLed PCM Hammer, UP, got a cable and went to it.
1998 blackbox pcm. OSID: 16263425 Description: Vortec Black Box 98/99 Service No 9366810 or 9355699
Step one: I failed miserably--could not get PCM hammer to see nothin'--root cause USB cable did not like plug into USB 3 port. Plugged into a USB 2.0 hub plugged into USB 3 port--all good.
Step 2: I failed more miserabler --Could not read crap until I thought to manually choose "blackbox" , then I was able to read the PCM *FiNALLY* at 1x speed. I sucked it into UP and disabled VATS, resaved as a new bin. I then used PCM Hammer to write it...almost. I actually killed my Burbie! Cable that could read PCM, could not write PCM., but I was able to erase enough to make the K1500 undriveable.
The resistor and wire cut was looking pretty good but that ship had sailed...
Good news: Bought an OBDX Pro VX, it showed up and I was able to attach to the OBD2 port, and flash my NoVATS modded bin with no problemo! Great product along with great tools. Burbie starts first time, every time now...
More lessons-learned: Good idea to pull radio, cluster fuses to keep any bus noise down--can't hurt anyhow. Also realized the on blackbox/old Vortec, read properties won't work, which kinda freaked me out initially as I thought I'd broken my PCM or had a crap cable, but no--it normal for blackbox. Also the checksums always showed bad when I tried to use UP to write PCM--not sure why. WHen I opted for PCM Hammer standalone to program, it went swimmingly.
Thanks to all you guys who make idiots like me functional. Last tip: If/when you disable VATS, Security light is solid lit. For your wife to trust the ride, you'll have to pulll out the cluster and pop out that bulb.
If anyone needs the clean BIN for their library or whatever, I can share...
-
antus
- Site Admin
- Posts: 10012
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
- cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007
Re: PCM Hammer 98/99 Black Box Support
Sounds like a problem initially with a low quality interface, if you can PM me the details and even a debug log if you saved it that will be helpful. From 1x I am thinking I know what brand, and I wonder also if it might have been a clone that does not work properly. I am interested to know, because if clones partially work with pcmhammer but cause bricks then we might need to warn others. I'm not too familiar with blackbox, but you may be able to check the DTCs set with vats disabled and set it to not process and or not set MIL on that error to make the light go out. But pulling the bulb achieves the same.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
-
splashd
- Posts: 3
- Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2026 3:55 am
- cars: 1998 Suburban K1500
Re: PCM Hammer 98/99 Black Box Support
Yeah, my wife is a bit gunshy since she got stranded. I am still trying to convince her that the VATS disabled PCM will not magically regress to killing the engine in the next week...
I am also curious to find out it there is anything else worthwhile to tune or optimize in the blackbox PCM of 1998 K1500 4WD Suburban? I can't really think of anything I need to do, but have the bug...
as for the cable, it was VGATE vLinker FS USB FORScan OBD2 Adapter because I wanted something quick and it was on Amazon. I did not retain the debug log...sorry
I am also curious to find out it there is anything else worthwhile to tune or optimize in the blackbox PCM of 1998 K1500 4WD Suburban? I can't really think of anything I need to do, but have the bug...
as for the cable, it was VGATE vLinker FS USB FORScan OBD2 Adapter because I wanted something quick and it was on Amazon. I did not retain the debug log...sorry
-
splashd
- Posts: 3
- Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2026 3:55 am
- cars: 1998 Suburban K1500
Re: PCM Hammer 98/99 Black Box Support
Figured I'd share my bin. I have a 1998 Suburban K1500, 5.7L.
OSID: 16263425 Vortec Black Box 98/99 Service No 9366810 or 9355699
I included the stock BIN, and VATS disabled BIN
OSID: 16263425 Vortec Black Box 98/99 Service No 9366810 or 9355699
I included the stock BIN, and VATS disabled BIN
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.