PCM Hammer P01 and P59 flash tool v015

They go by many names, P01, P10, P12, P59, E38, VPW, '0411 etc.
User avatar
NSFW
Posts: 802
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:13 am

Re: PCM Hammer - new ls1 flash tool

Post by NSFW »

I think I just fixed the directory name, the property-value stuff, and the remembering bug... can you pull the latest from the develop branch and give it another try?
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
User avatar
Gampy
Posts: 2332
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:38 pm

Re: PCM Hammer - new ls1 flash tool

Post by Gampy »

Done ... Absolutely Awesome!

I did push a couple PR's on previously pointed out issues, don't want to see them missed in the next release.
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
User avatar
NSFW
Posts: 802
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:13 am

Re: PCM Hammer - new ls1 flash tool

Post by NSFW »

Thanks for the reminder, I'll try to get through those today.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
User avatar
Gampy
Posts: 2332
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:38 pm

Re: PCM Hammer - new ls1 flash tool

Post by Gampy »

Welcome!

I have Github issues so I cannot comment there ...

[answered with merge]
I just pushed another PR for the crash if trying to write a wrong file size, Antus posted Issue #147, I've had this patch since before I wound up in the hospital about a month ago and forgot about it, I really didn't know where you wanted to do a check like that, I was going to ask, in the App or Library??
It looked to me like it would take some re-writing for in App so I took the easy route ... did it in the Library ... :oops:
[/answered with merge]

Obviously the Menu PR is non important.

[edit]
Is the Write Paramaters button going to get enabled??
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
User avatar
NSFW
Posts: 802
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:13 am

Re: PCM Hammer - new ls1 flash tool

Post by NSFW »

The size check seems fine the way you did it, and I've already merged it.

I've been thinking for a while that the main window is too cluttered with buttons, so I like that menu idea a lot, and I just finished turning five of the buttons into menu items under the Tools drop-down. I'm testing that change now.

The Read Properties button might not be super useful for most people but I use it all the time when switching interfaces so I left that on the main form. Test Write is still a button, to encourage people to check their connection before doing a full write, and Write Calibration is still a button because that main reason the app exists. I think most people are going to use full-read once and then do a bunch of calibration changes as they tune their car. The other operations are just for rare occasions so I think it makes sense to get them off of the main window and move them into the menu.

Antus just told me that Clone works again, so I'm going to re-enable it. And fix the typo in the menu item text below.
NewUI.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
User avatar
Gampy
Posts: 2332
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:38 pm

Re: PCM Hammer - new ls1 flash tool

Post by Gampy »

Awesome on the button thinning ... Gotta say I was a bit timid with the Menu acceptance.

I have been "Cloning" out the wazoo ... I guess I have been mistakenly calling it "OS Swaps", It involves writing the OS, Calibration and Parameters. ie: complete chip!
Not a single hickup in many dozens of "Clones" on three different Pcms (Intel 512k, Intel 1m, AMD 1m) and the two tools I have. The AllPro and the SparkFun STN1110.
Any Which Way I Can.

Can the items you've moved to the Tools menu be moved to a Action menu and leave the Tools menu for actual tools. Not Interface tools like a J-box, but tools like Algorithm Index Lookup and others??
I don't mind doing the work ...

Looking good!
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
User avatar
NSFW
Posts: 802
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:13 am

Re: PCM Hammer - new ls1 flash tool

Post by NSFW »

We talked about having a "full flash" button that would rewrite every segment of the flash chip, and part of me still likes that idea. If you're replacing a defective PCM with one from a junkyard that's what you'd want. But we also want to support OS upgrades without having a VIN change as a side effect. But there were too many buttons already. :) But now that it'd be a new menu item, maybe it makes sense to do that.

I'm not sure what to call the Tools menu, or if there should be separate menus for firmware read/write vs other stuff, or what...

For both of these issues, I lean toward doing a release as-is first.

What problem does the FlashWriteSendSize change fix?
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
User avatar
Gampy
Posts: 2332
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:38 pm

Re: PCM Hammer - new ls1 flash tool

Post by Gampy »

Must be a misunderstanding for I am not asking for a single button to do a "full flash" (Clone) ...

I did have plans for the Tools menu and didn't want to confuse users later by moving them, that's all ... Not a big deal.

For me the only issue is the MaxFlashWriteSendSize, If MaxSendSize gets set to more then 1024 (+12) bytes, then Flash Writes fail ... However, > 1024 is needed for P04.
I thought that is why MaxFlashWriteSendSize was added in the first place ... See here.
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
User avatar
Gampy
Posts: 2332
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:38 pm

Re: PCM Hammer - new ls1 flash tool

Post by Gampy »

Just strolled across these ...

1.
Open: PcmHammer
Select: Debug Log
Select: Select Device
.. Note Debug Log.
Select: Cancel
[09:50:29:864] Unable to get port number for 'ECP Printer Port (LPT1)' / 'ACPI\PNP0401\4&3157C303&0' with port name 'LPT1'
Just for show ... Not an issue to me. Could be my systems, I'm very sure that system has never had a printer installed!
It's gracefully caught, what else can a person ask for!

I suspect we'll want to catch the following though, I do not know.

2.
Delete: PcmHammer.exe.Config
Open: PcmHammer
Select: Select Device
.. Select your Device Type
.. Leave Serial Port alone (As: Select...)
Select: OK
[10:20:37:106] PCM Hammer (3/2/2020, 10:20 AM)
[10:20:37:117] ElmDevice initialization starting.
[10:20:37:120] Unable to initalize ObdLink or AllPro on
[10:20:37:180] System.ArgumentException: The PortName cannot be empty.
Parameter name: PortName
at System.IO.Ports.SerialPort.set_PortName(String value)
at System.IO.Ports.SerialPort..ctor(String portName, Int32 baudRate, Parity parity, Int32 dataBits, StopBits stopBits)
at System.IO.Ports.SerialPort..ctor(String portName)
at PcmHacking.StandardPort.PcmHacking.IPort.OpenAsync(PortConfiguration configuration) in T:\Automotive\PcmHacks\PcmHacks\Apps\PcmLibraryWindowsForms\Ports\StandardPort.cs:line 51
at PcmHacking.ElmDevice.<Initialize>d__4.MoveNext()
3.
[09:33:55:984] PCM Hammer (3/2/2020, 9:32 AM)
[09:33:55:985] ElmDevice initialization starting.
[09:33:55:985] Unable to initalize ObdLink or AllPro on COM4
[09:33:55:986] System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the port 'COM4' is denied.
at System.IO.Ports.InternalResources.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String str)
at System.IO.Ports.SerialStream..ctor(String portName, Int32 baudRate, Parity parity, Int32 dataBits, StopBits stopBits, Int32 readTimeout, Int32 writeTimeout, Handshake handshake, Boolean dtrEnable, Boolean rtsEnable, Boolean discardNull, Byte parityReplace)
at System.IO.Ports.SerialPort.Open()
at PcmHacking.StandardPort.PcmHacking.IPort.OpenAsync(PortConfiguration configuration) in T:\Automotive\PcmHacks\PcmHacks\Apps\PcmLibraryWindowsForms\Ports\StandardPort.cs:line 68
at PcmHacking.ElmDevice.<Initialize>d__4.MoveNext()
The port was hung.
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
User avatar
NSFW
Posts: 802
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:13 am

Re: PCM Hammer - new ls1 flash tool

Post by NSFW »

I fixed 1 and 2. Not sure what to do about 3.
I've also confirmed a fix to the issue with truncated log messages.

I think that's good enough for a release, so...

https://github.com/LegacyNsfw/PcmHacks/ ... 0.03.05.01
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!