Project Rescue
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
Re: Project Rescue
So I've got a dilemma, do I stuff around with LPG and get this thing running on both petrol and LPG or ditch the LPG all together and just worry about petrol? I've already lost more than a month with the delays in parts so kinda don't want to stuff around to much getting it back on the road at this point. Fairly sure it has almost a full tank of LPG in the boot so that is a consideration. The other issue is, I've checked a few servo's and not that many actually have LPG for cars, mostly only the older servo's have it but it's not something you can stop in at any servo to get.
-
heff0018
- Posts: 1061
- Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:42 am
- cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger
Re: Project Rescue
LPG is expensive these days and I would get rid of it. I’ve had 3 vehicles on lpg but wouldn’t go there again
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Project Rescue
Same, LPG is shit. Always issues with it and it's less than optimal at running the engine for most LPG kits.
-
delcowizzid
- Posts: 5709
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
- Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
- Location: Wellington NZ
Re: Project Rescue
Last lpg car I seen we just made an adaptor and filled the bbq bottles in the engine bay to empty it haha
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
Re: Project Rescue
Finally got the heads back, good soak in acid, 3 angle valve job and he's also clearance radius around the top cut in the bowl and skimmed the heads .010"
He said the heads have some minor heat cracks but nothing to be concerned about.
All I need to do is do a back cut on the intake valves and re-assemble.
All I need to do is do a back cut on the intake valves and re-assemble.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
Re: Project Rescue
Also, we are back to the question if this was the original engine from this car? These heads don't have the dimple in the intake port runner roof (where the heads are machined to suit the L67 injectors) which apparently indicates it's a later VX/VY style head?
Anybody have any idea with regard to engine numbers and build dates?
Any info appreciated
Anybody have any idea with regard to engine numbers and build dates?
Any info appreciated
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
Re: Project Rescue
Doing a few basic checks first....
Exhaust spring installed height (stock style retainer) is a touch over 1.9" And the intakes are a touch under 1.9" I was intending to use the original springs as they measure up OK pressure wise but at 1.9" installed heights the pressures are going to be way off. I do have a set of LS6 valve springs which give 90lbs @ 1.800" installed height which will be more than enough for a stock engine....
I think I'm gonna need some shims for under the rocker pedestals to get everything back into alignment and maybe under the springs at a later stage....
Exhaust spring installed height (stock style retainer) is a touch over 1.9" And the intakes are a touch under 1.9" I was intending to use the original springs as they measure up OK pressure wise but at 1.9" installed heights the pressures are going to be way off. I do have a set of LS6 valve springs which give 90lbs @ 1.800" installed height which will be more than enough for a stock engine....
I think I'm gonna need some shims for under the rocker pedestals to get everything back into alignment and maybe under the springs at a later stage....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
Re: Project Rescue
Got stuck in, checked all the installed heights on one head (range from 1.870" - 1.905"), fitted all new valve stem seals, lubed everything up and assembled the first head.
ohh, and apparently this crown symbol cast into the ends of each head indicates it's the later model casting.
Which I'm told were fitted on engines from late VT through to VY.
After the first head the missus decided she wanted to go for a cruise so that is as far as I got today.
After the first head the missus decided she wanted to go for a cruise so that is as far as I got today.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Project Rescue
That crown boss is in all ecotec from VS to VY. You need to look at the casting number in the top of the head to determine what period it was made. I think there are like 3 different casting numbers for these heads.
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
Re: Project Rescue
Got the 2nd head done today (in between looking/buying a car for my youngest boy). This one measured up a bit better (1.870 to 1.890).
All shiny and ready to go.
Just organizing shims to suit
Just organizing shims to suit
I honestly don't know, just what others are saying. Not having much luck finding actual casting numbers.vlad01 wrote:That crown boss is in all ecotec from VS to VY. You need to look at the casting number in the top of the head to determine what period it was made. I think there are like 3 different casting numbers for these heads.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.