Software On ELM Street - OBD2 Software Development
-
Charlescrown
- Posts: 2076
- Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
- cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes - Location: Padstow NSW
Re: Software On ELM Street - OBD2 Software Development
Need a big cable to carry lightening. It's the before and after that takes more time.
-
Tazzi
- Posts: 3626
- Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:53 am
- cars: VE SS Ute
- Location: WA
Re: Software On ELM Street - OBD2 Software Development
Brilliant. From memory I read about the "sleep mode" which can be enabled/disabled. But I thought it only kicked in when no activity is detected. The bluetooth version is on the hitlist dont you worry!Tre-Cool wrote:Im happy to test anything. I also have a cruze with the e83 ecu which has similar pids to the e38.
if you can also work out how to do the brake pedal calibration on the bcm's that would be great. haha
As for the Bluetooth mx I think it is the sleep mode kicking it. it would be good for a few hours and then the program would essentially freeze.
As for the e83, all of the known PID's are tested on ALL vehicles on startup to check if they are supported on that ecu. So any PID's that are supported are the only that work out of all the ones Iv figured out so far!
Ill have to check if my Tech2 actually has the cruze... I think one of the Holden bins actually removed it from memory.
What exactly does the "brake pedal calibration" do on the BCM's? Without performing that, what happens?
Although I think Iv made up my mind and will be ordering a AVT 852. I have contacted multiple parties now for a cable thats actually here in Australia, although looks like Im going to have to cop the postage fees and waiting time from USA. *Sigh*. (Anyone with a cable to buy, please contact me asap!)
gold73 wrote:I always thought copper carried more electrikery than air......
Im either losing my mind or you guys are talking about something completely random!Charlescrown wrote:Need a big cable to carry lightening. It's the before and after that takes more time.
Are we talking about signal strength between bluetooth,wifi? Or.. just shooting lighting from our fingertips?
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726

Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726

-
Tazzi
- Posts: 3626
- Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:53 am
- cars: VE SS Ute
- Location: WA
Re: Software On ELM Street - OBD2 Software Development
Oh on a side note, as most people read this development page!
Iv had many, many, many (MANY) people/companies asking about VZ's security information on the ECU's. Resetting PIM's, ECU's BCM's and also relinking all these devices. Seems to be a large mass of interest in this, as there is still the "mystery" behind the whole process and security details are extremely hard to get.
First up, yes it is possible to pull the immobilizer code, the BCM code, radio pin code, VIN's ect and all other required information.
I do not currently have an application to perform these activities, but have looked into it.
I still need to re-log resetting each device, relinking and testing on my bench setup. Still a HUGE amount of work to go into something like this, which I dont have alot of free time between various software developments including SOE, thus to continue its development I will significant help in testing and backing to keep its progress going.
Paying 2K+ for a new ecu fitted by Holden is just nuts, so fitting a second hand ECU is almost out of necessity as these cars are getting so cheap now that 2K is 1/3rd of the car value! so I want to be able to produce something that can significantly help out, but its a matter of maintaining a ethical, security safe application.
Now in saying that, my final issue here is that its not something the generally public can use. Official ECU refitters would be the only ones that would qualify to utilize a security sensitive application, where its use will be closely monitored.
Food for thought
Tazzi over and out.
Iv had many, many, many (MANY) people/companies asking about VZ's security information on the ECU's. Resetting PIM's, ECU's BCM's and also relinking all these devices. Seems to be a large mass of interest in this, as there is still the "mystery" behind the whole process and security details are extremely hard to get.
First up, yes it is possible to pull the immobilizer code, the BCM code, radio pin code, VIN's ect and all other required information.
I do not currently have an application to perform these activities, but have looked into it.
I still need to re-log resetting each device, relinking and testing on my bench setup. Still a HUGE amount of work to go into something like this, which I dont have alot of free time between various software developments including SOE, thus to continue its development I will significant help in testing and backing to keep its progress going.
Paying 2K+ for a new ecu fitted by Holden is just nuts, so fitting a second hand ECU is almost out of necessity as these cars are getting so cheap now that 2K is 1/3rd of the car value! so I want to be able to produce something that can significantly help out, but its a matter of maintaining a ethical, security safe application.
Now in saying that, my final issue here is that its not something the generally public can use. Official ECU refitters would be the only ones that would qualify to utilize a security sensitive application, where its use will be closely monitored.
Food for thought
Tazzi over and out.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726

Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726

-
Tazzi
- Posts: 3626
- Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:53 am
- cars: VE SS Ute
- Location: WA
Re: Software On ELM Street - OBD2 Software Development
AVT 852 on the way
Will add support for this once it is here. To be honest, it will be a MUCH better tool to deal with as it will easily handle the freeze data instead of the ELM getting confused.
Will add support for this once it is here. To be honest, it will be a MUCH better tool to deal with as it will easily handle the freeze data instead of the ELM getting confused.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726

Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726

-
Dylan
- Posts: 3364
- Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
- cars: VR Commodore V8
Re: Software On ELM Street - OBD2 Software Development
Do you offer the service to pair another ecu?
Ive helped a few mates change out the faulty alloytec ecu on VZ's.
Very expensive to have sent away (all other devices as you know sent with it)
And programmed and sent back.
Ive helped a few mates change out the faulty alloytec ecu on VZ's.
Very expensive to have sent away (all other devices as you know sent with it)
And programmed and sent back.
-
Jayme
- Posts: 2585
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:59 pm
- Location: North Coast, NSW
Re: Software On ELM Street - OBD2 Software Development
oooooh finally I can start playing with it when the avt support arrives!! 
-
Charlescrown
- Posts: 2076
- Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 pm
- cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes - Location: Padstow NSW
Re: Software On ELM Street - OBD2 Software Development
Sorry about the lightening pun. I have experienced that cable is much more reliable than wireless. We had Launch come and do a demo with both systems and they couldn't get the wireless to work. I have also worked with Hyundai software and they say best stick to cable because of the problems with wireless but technology is changing rapidly.
-
Tazzi
- Posts: 3626
- Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:53 am
- cars: VE SS Ute
- Location: WA
Re: Software On ELM Street - OBD2 Software Development
Unfortunately no, haven't had time to work on anything security related for the VZ's. Its incredible how retarded the security system is.Dylan wrote:Do you offer the service to pair another ecu?
Ive helped a few mates change out the faulty alloytec ecu on VZ's.
Very expensive to have sent away (all other devices as you know sent with it)
And programmed and sent back.
Sure can!Jayme wrote:oooooh finally I can start playing with it when the avt support arrives!!
More than happy to help on getting an ADX for CAN if any helps needed. It'll be a hell of a mess getting it to setup the dpid's and get it capturing the responses. I havent used made an ADX before so Im not sure how limited we are in what can be achieved.
Mate, I spent about 3ish hours thinking I broke my MX wifi.. I couldnt see the signal for about an hour, then had to factory restore it. I could then see the signal but couldnt connect! I had to cycle through all its modes to get it to connect finally. And after all that.. it suddenly lost signal again!Charlescrown wrote:Sorry about the lightening pun. I have experienced that cable is much more reliable than wireless. We had Launch come and do a demo with both systems and they couldn't get the wireless to work. I have also worked with Hyundai software and they say best stick to cable because of the problems with wireless but technology is changing rapidly.
The issue was something to do with my house wifi interfering. I had to turn off the entire house internet. Connect to the MX, then reconnect the house wifi.
Its cool thats its wireless, but the speed is just not there. The laptop needs to have a hell of a processor to keep up with CAN-bus when monitoring all that data.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726

Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726

-
Jayme
- Posts: 2585
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:59 pm
- Location: North Coast, NSW
Re: Software On ELM Street - OBD2 Software Development
yeah it can be done easy enough, you can define messages to be sent, and tell it to wait for the correct response... I got the DPID setup working great for VPW, CAN wont be that different. so far I have set up an SAE CAN adx, that requests individual PID's and it works fine. I jsut need to define a bunch more PID's then upload it. the difference in DPID for CAN will be that you cant request them manually at a fast pace, but you can just setup a loop of listen's in the adx and tell it what header to wait for. it wont associate the correct header for the incoming packet tho. it will just keep binning data until it sees the header you are telling it to wait for, then process it and move to the next listen request. so you have to be sure that the pcm will spit out packets in a strict order for it to work! anyway the major thing stopping me on the DPID adx at the moment is a specific list of setup bytes to send to set up all the dpid packets. adding in the actual byte to dash mapping is the easy part.
-
Tazzi
- Posts: 3626
- Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:53 am
- cars: VE SS Ute
- Location: WA
Re: Software On ELM Street - OBD2 Software Development
Ah yes thats the part I was meaning.Jayme wrote:yeah it can be done easy enough, you can define messages to be sent, and tell it to wait for the correct response... I got the DPID setup working great for VPW, CAN wont be that different. so far I have set up an SAE CAN adx, that requests individual PID's and it works fine. I jsut need to define a bunch more PID's then upload it. the difference in DPID for CAN will be that you cant request them manually at a fast pace, but you can just setup a loop of listen's in the adx and tell it what header to wait for. it wont associate the correct header for the incoming packet tho. it will just keep binning data until it sees the header you are telling it to wait for, then process it and move to the next listen request. so you have to be sure that the pcm will spit out packets in a strict order for it to work! anyway the major thing stopping me on the DPID adx at the moment is a specific list of setup bytes to send to set up all the dpid packets. adding in the actual byte to dash mapping is the easy part.
WHen getting a response.. say:
5E8 08 FE XX XX XX XX XX XX XX
So we can get the ADX to capture the 5E8.. but are we able to make it process based on the DPID, 'FE'?
I can happily help out with the DPID setup, thats easy enough.
Otherwise, Im pretty sure the data gets spat out in the order that the frames are sent.
So if I sent the "spam DPID's" command to the ECU and In the frame i has it setup like: FE,FD,FC,FB
Then I think is should come out as:
5E8 08 FE
5E8 08 FD
5E8 08 FC
5E8 08 FB
Ill have to double check on that!
But to keep the data flowing, the AVT will need to send out a tester present message. With the elm, I just make it send the tester present, and make the elm capture the "5E8" response, so really Im getting responses as fast as I can send the tester present message
Should be able to do something similar with the AVT possibly, unless you can easily add a "timer" to fire off every ~5seconds for the tester present.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726

Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
