Vlad's rides thread

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
User avatar
psyolent
Posts: 1597
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:52 am
cars: VT Berlina Series 2 Wago
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
SY Ford Territory
PD Hyundai nLine
SE Ford Capri
....too many fucking bikes

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by psyolent »

i better start adding the same to my back garage :)
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by vlad01 »

my shed is just tin, like my hat.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by vlad01 »

wire wheeling all the old paint and rust off the block.

Came up pretty good. Now I just got to finish sealing it up with duct tape to make sure it water proof and then I can go through my process of phosphoric acid/zinc phosphate treatment and strong alkaline water based pre paint wash.

Will heat the block up and etch prime and the VHT it. I found wattle super etch black, flash dried and VHT enamel straight over works wonders.
IMG_2470_zpsn3hbp7nf.jpg
IMG_2469_zpsvohhoovy.jpg

Also these arrived!
IMG_2461_zpsjlvkay9d.jpg
IMG_2462_zps1j0pw4ha.jpg
noice!
IMG_2463_zpsishnk3hb.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by vlad01 »

Nice weather today, perfect for this.

Block all prep'd. Several washes in phosphoric acid and then used KBS aqua blast to neutralize and degrease any possible contamination, rinsed with hot water and dried with a cloth.
IMG_2477_zpsnrqb4mmc.jpg
Can see the multi coloured phosphates and oxides on the surface.
IMG_2476_zpsxxlm5eef.jpg
block heated and got few good coats of wattle epoxy etch primer, this is the most important part as its what fuses to the surface and protects it from rust as this product is excellent at doing just that.
IMG_2478_zpspll7yyvq.jpg
Engine enamel, just VHT gloss black. Bonds really well to freshly touch dry wattle etch.
IMG_2479_zpsi7ddul5h.jpg
Masking removed and curing. The heater did wonders, the block remained a nice 25-30ºC throughout the whole painting process. :thumbup:
IMG_2481_zpsizay6xyg.jpg
looks ace! really proud of this. Looks better than factory and will be much more durable too.
IMG_2482_zpsmjnoeo3t.jpg
Added a nice touch, the engine number was masked out and then clear coated with VHT caliper clear. Looks just like factory new except the surrounding metal is painted black not left bare to rust.
IMG_2483_zpslt8dmdfv.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by Holden202T »

nice work!
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by vlad01 »

I like clean looking engines! That stay looking nice for years. :thumbup:


In case you are wondering, I masked the front of the engine with an aftermarket gasket I had sitting around, I never use them as they are crap but they do have a purpose haha
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by immortality »

That has come up very nice indeed :)
ejukated
Posts: 426
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:52 am

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by ejukated »

did you build a big tank for it? where do you get the chemicals from?
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by vlad01 »

Decided to do the inside of the bell housing area.
IMG_2486_zps6xf8bp8c.jpg

^ no tank, just masked the whole block with duct tape to water proof it and bushed it all on, and rinsed with hot water.

The inside of the block is already surgically clean from when it got tanked at Duggan's but thats only a caustic tanking so it doesn't remove the rust, only carbon grease and other organic substances.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by Holden202T »

geez now your getting fancy!