Confirmirming programming

EPROM EEPROM SRAM NVRAM Flash chips, reading/writing hardware and software
Lawso
cars: VR Ute with VS V6 Getrag driveline
VE SSV Ute
VS Ute

Confirmirming programming

Post by Lawso »

Been having a few problems getting my head around programming eproms.

I have completed a couple of tunes, but have had to leave the NVRAM in as I can't seem to figure out how to corectly program the memcal's eprom. It's starting to get expensive..

I have 2 x memcals available to me, 1 x stock VR manual and 1 x VN memcal that has had a 512k eprom soldered in.

I am able to read the eproms via the moates header I bought which makes conecting to the programmer easy.

As 12p is 32K, it shoud be a straight write to the VR eprom? When writing to the 512k eprom, I offset it to start at 8000.

Tried them in the car and it went into limp.

The main problem I have is I had to return the cars to their owners and now have no way to confirm that I have programmed the memcal correctly.
I don't want to install the memcal into the car's ecu only to find I have screwed up the burn again..
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Re: Confirmirming programming

Post by VL400 »

Yeah VR manual has a 256k EPROM so burn with no offset. A 512K EPROM has the bin starting at 8000. Your burning it correctly, do they verify in the programmer ok?
vn5000
cars: vn v8 commodore

Post by vn5000 »

After you have programmed them did you use the verify option to check they programmed correctly and also i take it you erased them before programing.
Lawso
VE SSV Ute
VS Ute

Post by Lawso »

Yep, it will varify ok.

I have an ecm rigged up so it can be powered and when I try to connect to it, I can't. So I am assuming that I have screwed up somewhere.
Even tried the flashtool to see if it could connect, no go. Says invalid XML file?

Ok, found the XML file, still unable to connect to the memcals I programmed.

Tried a stock VR V8 manual memcal, and can connect to it with the flashtool. I must be doing something wrong programming the eprom?
vn5000

Post by vn5000 »

Sounds like your doing everything right.Maybe theres something wrong with the eprom programmer.Maybe try write a bin to an eprom , then read the eprom ,and then using tp5 do a compare with the original bin and the bin you read off the eprom.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Flashtool should detect 12P so def something aint right, have you tried a standard 12P bin? Post the bin up and can check it for you.

And the XML thing was something that was added but not used, the memcal ID tool does a way better job of it now... https://pcmhacking.net/forums/view ... ?f=3&t=905
Lawso
VE SSV Ute
VS Ute

Post by Lawso »

Must be something with the OSE file.

Just to test that I wasn't going nuts, I programmed both memcals with a std VR V8 manual bin.

I was able to connect to them with the flashtool, all be it I couldn't upload the bin, but hey, it's a start!

Also checked that I was able to get the CEL to flash on my rig, all looks normal.

I have attached the bin that I am having trouble with.

Thanks
Attachments
OSE_$12P_BASS355last.bin
(32 KiB) Downloaded 325 times
vn5000

Post by vn5000 »

yeau youve got a severely corrupted bin .Havea look at the bin in a hex editor and you willsee that from 1B0C it is 00 the whole way through the code.
Download $12p zip and start again.
Lawso
VE SSV Ute
VS Ute

Post by Lawso »

Hmmmm, not sure how that happened....

The car is running fine, just with the nvram on board. I uploaded the bin from the nvram?

I had a look at it as you suggested in the hex editor in tunerpro, I have no idea what I'm looking at but I can see what you are saying. I opened another bin I have here for comparison, and while there are patches of zeros, there is data all the way to the end.

Might just copy the fuel and timing maps to a new bin and see how it goes.
vn5000

Post by vn5000 »

Maybe you hit the get cal button instead of the get bin.And yeah should be fine to copy spark and fuel maps .Also do not play with custom settings as this may cause that prob as well. :thumbup: