Delco as standalone TCU?

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
darcy

Delco as standalone TCU?

Post by darcy »

Hi Guys,

Is it possible to run a delco as a standalone transmission controller?

Possible apllication in mind is to run a 4L60E behind a carby L98 in a VC commodore.
A friend is assembling parts for the conversion and still considering which way to go, whether it's full elctronic with an factory E38 PCM, or carby with standalone aftermarket trans and ignition controllers.
(I tell him to get the factory ecm, but he's comfortable with carbys and dizzies)

TCU is ~$650 or 2nd '424 and few factory sensors...

I'd suggest the drive the lot with a delco, but I can't see an easy way to get it to work with the 58tooth crank reluctor and no dizzy?

cheers
darcy
The1

Re: Delco as standalone TCU?

Post by The1 »

Not sure about the pcm, you'd need vss and tps so it knows when to shift, bit expensive but if you get stuck you could always throw in a modded valve body to make the 4L60E fully manual so you dont even need a computer hooked up.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Full-Manual-Valv ... 51926bcc17
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

why does everyone like to step back 100 years when it comes to fuel delivery EFI is the future use it to its full advantage LOL
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

well in the case of my mate, he doesn't understand it so he doesn't want it!

works for me though means i don't have to tune his car :P
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

If you hook up pretty much everything as per normal and just dont have fuel or spark delivery it should work - but would certainly be uncharted waters, never seen it done but in theory it should work fine. You will need an RPM signal so depending on the style of ignition might be able to use the tacho output (but will need to be 5v square wave with no high voltage from the coil back EMF). Would also need to disable a heap of fault codes to stop the auto trans code doing anything silly based on engine faults. Would prob need to use a VS bin as the auto will have PWM TCC.

And yeah currently no way to use the 58 tooth wheel and the early delco afaik.