Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
mjwillia
cars: 1989 Toyota Supra 3l Turbo
1997 Nissan Maxima 3l
1984 Mitsubishi Sigma 2l

Sigma EFI/Delco conversion

Post by mjwillia »

Hi guys,

I am very new to this, I didn't know that a delco ECU could be reprogrammed and used for various custom installs.

Can somone point me in a direction please? :)

The car is a 94 sigma with the 2l astron motor. I have manufactured a inlet manifold using a set of ZX-14 Ninja throttles and have the fuel rail all plubmed up and working.
It has a distributor with points and that's about it.
Because of the intake setup a MAF cannot be used, must be MAP & inlet temp sensor.

What ECU should I use, and what crank angle sensor setup should I adapt?
Also what hardware and software do I need to reprogram?

Cheers!!
Lawso
cars: VR Ute with VS V6 Getrag driveline
VE SSV Ute
VS Ute

Re: Sigma EFI/Delco conversion

Post by Lawso »

Holden JE camira wiring harness, ignition module (screwed to the distributor) and ecu. May as well take the dissy too.

They are out there in the wrecking yards. Try not to cut anything removing them though. They are also handy in that they have their own relay box attached to the harness.

Grab the coolant temp, intake air temp and map sensor while you are there. You may need to replace them, but at least you will know what they look like.

I am not that familiar with mitsubishi stuff, but I'm sure that at some point along the line they would have had an electronic ignition dissy? If so, you can mofify and use it if it uses a reluctor style sensor.

For real time tuning, you will need a NVRAM and USB / serial adaptor, laptop, Tuner pro V5 RT software, pretty sure that OSE12P and plugin ( software available for download form here) will support 4cy engines.
The flashtool software (also available for download from here) is also needed, if you wish to eventually burn a memcal.
To burn a memcal, you will also need a chip burner. Plenty of info here on those, just use the search function. You don't need to burn a memcal if using a NVRAM, but it is useful to create a spare memcal.

A wideband sensor is a must also.

The individual throttle body setup can be a real pain to tune. I have done a couple, but they have a manifold that links each each throttle to a common plenum to help keep them balanced.
Last but not least, have a good read through VL400's getting started guide. It will answer a lot of questions.
UCMatt
cars: VE Sportwagon
VYExec
VN V8 UC Torana Hatch

Re: Sigma EFI/Delco conversion

Post by UCMatt »

Plenty of Astron's had Bosch reluctor distributors that will work fine with the Camira module once you have locked the advance mechanism.