newbie - 12p tune - Knock sensor not working...

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
SirGollum
cars: Nissan GQ Patrol with Holden 304

newbie - 12p tune - Knock sensor not working...

Post by SirGollum »

Hi Guys,

Well...Im reaching out. Im not sure where else I can turn to, except the blokes that know these things inside out :)

So a couple of weeks ago, I contacted a reputable person who creates mail order tunes...
I asked him if he was able to perform a tune on my new engine... (A 5l in a GQ Patrol) Please note it was running a VP memcal at this stage.
The specs I gave him were..

Crow Cam 4631
280 150 973 injectors (Series 1 VT Injectors ive been told)
Flat top pistons (40 thou over I think)
Ported and flowed heads (Bench tested)
Roll master timing cog and chain (Ive been told this has been set to stock)
Flat top hypertec pistons
70mm throttle body
Upgraded coil (Nothing fancy, just something better than stock coil)
Upgraded Ignition module (Is the stock item with an extra transistor)

Im running a loom from Marks 4wd Adapters with a speed sensor box from them too (Part no MFK696 (http://www.marks4wd.com/products/engine ... n%20V8.htm)

Was really hoping to gain a more stable idle, less surging at low revs, plus if possible the "lean burn" facility to save some fuel ….. and of course a better matched tune to the new motor. ;)

So after a couple of weeks the Memcal turns up, I install it and straight away notice that its idling quite high (950rpm) ....I performed the standard 'idle reset' by revving it for 30 seconds etc....but it doesn't change a thing. I figured I must be doing something wrong and proceeded to use the car for the weekend.

On the Monday afternoon, I gave it a good effort to try and get the idle down to normal levels.

I removed the TB, removed the IAC (Its a brand new IAC) and checked it...everything looked ok, I had cleaned the TB only a couple of weeks before so everything was still very clean...I read somewhere that you can reset things a bit by pushing the IAC stem down, which I did. Reinstalled TB, started the car...but zero difference....car starts, goes to 1200rpm for a few seconds...and eventually settles on about 950rpm. The only thing I can do to lower revs is to block the iac hole in the TB with my finger.

I tried swapping the chip back to my original…this immediately took the idle back to normal…it was a pretty wobbly, but I hadn’t rev’d the car for its 30 seconds etc…

I tried a VN V8 tune for 98 octane fuel…this did exactly the same as my orig chip. Idled as above.

In desperation I tried a VR V8 Auto tune (With VATS removed)…this idled at 1200rpm…and refused to go any lower… (Im assuming it’s a bit higher because its supposed to be dragging a torque convertor ??…)

My only conclusion is that prehaps the VR/VS style tune has something different in it that is making the engine rev too high. I have reported all this back to the bloke that created the tune for me, but as yet, havent heard anything....

I have ordered a ecu with the 8192 baud upgrade from vl500, so hoping very soon I will be able to provide logs of the engine if needed.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks

Glen
Last edited by SirGollum on Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:31 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Jayme

Re: High idle after new tune - super newbie...

Post by Jayme »

tuner may have just set the idle to 950, big cams like to idle that high. not much advice I can give unless you can either post up a copy of the bin or get an aldl cable and post up a log file of it running.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah i'd be going back to the tuner and find out what the desired idle is, that sounds like whats happened.
SirGollum

Post by SirGollum »

Ok, thanks very much guys.

I don't believe the cam is very big at all (One step above std), so wouldn't have thought it needed a high idle.

I will try and contact the tuner (He doesn't seem to respond to emails very often), and see if he will tell me.

Failing that I will post logs and the bin once I have got the ecu from VL500. (Im assuming you can download the bin via the aldl link ???)

Thanks again!

Glen
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

well if thats the case it might show how much research has been put into it .... i'd probably increase the idle 50rpm or so for your cam going off the crow cams specs page .... i did a 304 tune for a mate with a crane 286 cam which is alot bigger than yours and it was idling about 900 so you should be able to get alot lower with your baby cam!
SirGollum

Post by SirGollum »

actually...that's a bit scary, I really hope the tuner has done the research and tuned the chip correctly, especially reading about how much needs to change, even with just a 70mm TB....The ute does go very well now, but now im hoping things haven't been taken too far...would hate to blow up my nice new engine!

VL500 said that my ECU should turn up today hopefully, so will get a log / bin up here asap! In the mean time Ill leave the ute in the garage I think!

Thanks!

Glen
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

unless its a really fucked up tune it probably wont kill it, but i wouldn't be booting it either, just cruise around a bit and see .... but yeah need your hardware first for that!
SirGollum

Post by SirGollum »

Well, the ecu from VL400 doesn't work yet because the tune is a VN style.(I did ask for a VR tune) But....the memcal adapters for my wilem came this morning so I was able to download the tune and load into TunerPro.

From what I can tell its a $5D bin

Im assuming that F13M: Manual trans Desired idle RPM vs Battery voltage, is what controls the idle speed ? If so, I think I have possibly found the issue, it is set at 950, 906.25, 906.25. Which goes a long way to explaining whats happening :)

I have sent the tuner another email this morning asking for some support, if i haven't heard anything back by tomorrow morning, I will upload the bin and would be really appreciative it someone could have a quick look at it for me. Im still hoping that the tune is ok for my engine, and that will translate into a $12P tune ok, so that I can start using the serial board from VL400.
Last edited by SirGollum on Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

you getting a bit speculative over the amount of horsepower the VL has.... I think its only got 400hp not 500 :D
SirGollum

Post by SirGollum »

ahaha, Better correct that ;)