Time for a change - Ecotec Torana

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Re: Time for a change - Ecotec Torana

Post by immortality »

looking good mate. waiting to see this thing on the road. should go really well.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Damn you work fast! Looking good!
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

i didn't have a choice man i need the car for work :)

as it turns out i could have done this conversion in a normal weekend :) which is good, means i can tune tomorrow!!
went for a drive just a while ago to get some more fuel and she goes pretty good :driving:

so ended up getting a new water pump and thats sorted all the water leaks ... all in all its good!!

got me exhaust all sorted .... from the cat back is what i used to have on the 202 ... need to extend it over the diff and out the back but it will do to get me to work ... i mean its been like that for years hahahah
P1030277.jpg
P1030277.jpg (52.44 KiB) Viewed 5036 times
P1030278.jpg
P1030278.jpg (86.75 KiB) Viewed 5036 times
looks like the new seal in the back of the gearbox is leaking so im pissed about that ... not really sure what the deal is there but thats the only problem so really im pretty fucking stoked!!

ok as far as the BLCD tune on an ecotec .... its got a few minor issues, IAC seems to have some issues, like at the servo it stalled when i started it, then i restarted it and it just ran till the IAC came up a bit .... not sure if thats IAC settings or AFR as i know its rich at idle ....

as far as the spark went its pretty bloody good .... i pulled up and did a 0-100 test and i THINK it pinged a bit but bugger all - this is also on 98 fuel so it will probably ping cronically on 91 but thats something i can work on ... i plan to run a switch for two tunes anyways so yeah should be all good :)

i'm sorry to inform those that were interested that at the moment i don't have a log off it from the road as the laptop decided to be fucked and the gauges were all jumping around so i didn't bother with it ... will work it out tomorrow

well im going to go and fall in a heap!!! :wtf:
Biggsy

Post by Biggsy »

Well done mate, I'm impressed with the speed in which you have done this conversion!
As for the potential pinging, could be fueling rather than timing. The Ecotec will have different fueling characteristics to the earlier V6's and could be a matter of adding more fuel to the top end. Do you have a wide band o2?

Dave.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah it looks like its a bit rich down low and especially in the lower kpas but then its a bit lean at WOT so if anything i would have thought it would ping now and richening up WOT should stop it pinging if it was
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

thought i should report on the days tuning efforts ... pretty much just been tuning from scanner pro blm table and some o2 and knock tables .... looks like it was a bit rich below 2400rpm in most of the mid to lower kpa areas ... not so bad in the 70-80 kpa range and then lean in the 90-100kpa areas pretty much all rev ranges .....

3-4 logs and i've got most of the lower rpm stuff dialled in .... have made alot of changes to the 90-100kpa areas and tomorrow will tell what happens there.

also starting to richen it up is showing some knock retard in the upper rpm area of WOT this might be the little dip in the spark curve we saw a few pages back!!
i'm pleased to say standing on it from a stand still and it just :driving: ..... back off the throttle slightly till about 20-30kms and it gets off the line pretty good depends on the road too, some are worse than others - definately need to get an LSD me thinks

the more i get to know this motor the more happy i am with the decision to go for it over a VR motor .... it should keep me happy for a while i think!
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

well just a quick update, first tank of fuel with lots of fanging in it and also dialing in the initial tune ... 10.34L/100 .... HAPPY WITH THAT!! :punk:
Biggsy

Post by Biggsy »

cool! Imagine the economy when its all dialled in nicely and you drive it around normally*

*(assuming your normal is an average persons normal!!)
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

Biggsy wrote:(assuming your normal is an average persons normal!!)
what are you saying hahahaha :driving:

just to give you a comparison ... for my regular week to work and back

VZ SV6 Ute - approx 10-11L/100km
202 Torana - 11-12L/100km

admitidly the ecotec is running on 98 fuel, but thats all i used in the 202 and i'm sure even on a 91 octane tune it will still smoke the above economies!

provided i have no big issues with engineering this conversion is going to be well worth every dollar i've spent .... so far about $1000-1200 roughly to the stage its at now ... all thats left is engineering and some small things like charcoal canister and intake pipe etc.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

well finally after trying to find places to make me an inlet pipe and checking ebay and all sorts of stuff like that i've worked out an inlet setup that seems to be working!
P1030327.jpg
P1030327.jpg (196.82 KiB) Viewed 5036 times
it consists of a vn/vp/vr inlet pipe which has been shortened about 2 inches, then there is an adaptor to flare the pipe out about 5mm to suit the TB size - not perfect but it will do me!!

also been doing some km's and getting some fuel econ figures ... so far this last tank is looking to be 10.5ish L/100km.

i've been fiddling with timing and it looks like less is more in this engines case, i've removed a few degrees across the board and it seems to drive with less throttle and generally be better on fuel so i'm probably going to take a touch more timing out soon and see how that effects things ....

next on the list is fitting the charcoal canister and sealing the tank to feed its breathers into the charcoal canister ... so thats probably going to be part of this weekends mission ... remove the fuel tank and see what im up against!