The VS

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
The1

Re: The VS

Post by The1 »

with what your investing definatly get a realtime chip and tune your own, not to hard once you get going. Most of us are happy to give tips
Streetholden
cars: VH, VK, VS, VU

Post by Streetholden »

Thanks mate. I do have to warn you guys, from what i mentioned i did, i have no idea how anything works. Once i start work again i should be able to get back into the swing of things.
Streetholden

Post by Streetholden »

I have one more question. In regards to better flow and price. Would i be better to get a 85mm from mace for $230 or a LS2 for $125 and go through what you did? As i just priced up the rest of my intake system and shat a brick.
The1

Post by The1 »

if you can get a delphi 95mm cheaper than go for it!
Streetholden

Post by Streetholden »

So only use genuine. Found a new one for 265. So mace 85 it is :(
The1

Post by The1 »

well in my testing the first aftermarket one i had was dud, flatlined at 8000hz, worked fine below that but had some fault with it, i managed to get another one from the same place and the second one was fine, so i guess if you go aftermarket personally i would bench test it with a scope just to check it's working range, then checkout your logs on the laptop to ensure good operation. The aftermarket one required more tuning as the sensor didn't follow the same curve as the stock maf, The Delphi LS2 and stock VSV6 maf's are near identical in calibration, the delphi just has a greater range. So pretty much you can chuck a delphi LS2 maf on and then you just adjust your fueling.
Streetholden

Post by Streetholden »

I see, so its a direct tuneless fit. Where as the mace one will need to go through some tuning to get it right. If i didnt have replace my lifters at the same time i would be sweet.
The1

Post by The1 »

Streetholden wrote:I see, so its a direct tuneless fit. Where as the mace one will need to go through some tuning to get it right. If i didnt have replace my lifters at the same time i would be sweet.
you'll still need to do fuel tuning, but wont need to alter the maf tables much if any. But hey do whatever you want to do, you'll be needing to tune it anyway. My one off dodgy MAF doesn't mean all the aftermarkets are.
Streetholden

Post by Streetholden »

Oh ok. I just needed some advice, as i really dont have 230 to 265 to chuck around on a MAF. As i just finished pricing up my intake, i estimate around $750 to finish it off. Only because iv got to do my lifters as well and do the custom piping work. That estimate covers: Lifters, the memcal, coolent, oil and filter (may as well do it again whilst im at it) manifold and up gaskets and the MAF.
Streetholden

Post by Streetholden »

New update on project big bore. Iv been keeping a log on my car clubs forum, so heres the short version pretty much.

Did someone say round 2? I took the plenum off my car, put the chipped one on and now will have another go. Will take my time abit more this time.

So i thought i might take my time. So this is an hours worth of work. Some with a drill then the rest with a dremel. Instead of taking huge chunks out of the plenum im might taper it.

So i got the porting done. Will take the plenum off and finish it off once i have made up some sort of device that when inserted into the runner it will line up the holes for a flush fit.

I also forgot to mention about the chipped one being bolted to my car for a week now. Took the lid of 5mins ago. Its spotless. Not even a coating of oil. The lid, which i never smoothed out, had about a mid layer of oil on it. So bonus discovered so far is you rarely need to clean the plenum out.

So since im running low on drums. I havnt had much to do with it. This plenum is alot more harder to do then the first one.

Im having an issue with doing the intake. As i realized i just matched the intake to the insulator. I have to make a shim for the top so i dont take more off and have to match it all again.

So i started on the plenum where the TB bolts up.
There use to be a 5mm high casting mark/join. But about 40mins and it was gone like it never existed. Another hour i got to here and ran out of drums: