Real Time Logging Problems

Tuning The Delco In Realtime
v6bucket

Real Time Logging Problems

Post by v6bucket »

I'm not sure if I've put this in the correct place, but I have a USB comms board & NVRAM mounted in my 808 ecu that I'm having some trouble with. I used the ecu fitted in my UC Torana that has been converted to efi using the $12P setup on Friday tuning the engine in real time without any probs. I've since moved the ecu to another car, still using $12P, I loaded a tune that was a starting point for blown V6 & whilst it was connected the engine started & began logging, then "data error" flashed up intermittently at the bottom of TP5 & the log was lost . I'm now unable to get the laptop to connect to the ecu with the NVRAM in the ecu.
If a memcal only is fitted the laptop connects without issues, fit the memcal to the nvram then fit into the ecu, the laptop doesn't connect.
Memcal only test=When connecting the blue light is lit, the red & green flash on the comms board.
Memcal &NVRAM test +blue light is on. red flash, no green when connecting.
NVRAM only = same as for memcal+nvram.
I have checked the comms board wiring, all appears ok.
At one stage I removed the map switch jumper from the nvram & connected but this wont work now.
Here's a pic of the NVRAM to ensure that the jumpers are correct for a 6 cyl.
P1010789 (712 x 534).jpg
P1010789 (712 x 534).jpg (85.33 KiB) Viewed 7085 times
Can someone help steer me in the right direction please.
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
Holden202T

Re: Real Time Logging Problems

Post by Holden202T »

sounds like your nvram is corrupted, i'd suggest putting the nvram chip in the programmer and re-programming both banks with fresh $12p then go from there....

as far as putting the memcal chip in the nvram i don't think that will work as the nvram socket has different pin locations to a normal memcal chip
krusty
cars: VY Calais guzzler, Toyota Corolla almost hybrid

Post by krusty »

NVRAm looks o.k. Like the others said maybe corrupt?
Last edited by krusty on Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

An easy test for a corrupt NVRAM is the LED on the NVRAM board. It turns on when the key is turned on but stays lit for approx 2 seconds after the key is switched off. If it goes off as soon as you turn the key off then corrupt NVRAM.
festy
cars: Alfa Romeos

Post by festy »

v6bucket wrote: At one stage I removed the map switch jumper from the nvram & connected but this wont work now.
I'd remove the W_EN jumper before trying again (and after reprogramming the NVRAM).
Sounds like whatever is causing the corruption is repeatable, as it did the same thing to the copy on the second bank as it did to the first once you switched banks.
Check that the write enable wire on the bottom of the PCB isn't shorting on anything (like the case?) or has broken loose too.

If you think it might be the bin, try putting your known good $12P on one of the banks, and try connecting/logging without the engine running.
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

Thanks fella's, I'll check those things in the morning.
The write enable wire on the bottom of the board is ok.
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

If the nvram requires reprogramming, is the procedure the same as a normal memcal?
VL400

Post by VL400 »

Yeah, remove the DS1245 and program it. Just make sure to select DS1245 in the programmer, if its set to an eprom it will be bye bye nvram
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

Turn ignition on led is on, ignition off led out instantly.
It appears that it would be corrupted then.
VL400

Post by VL400 »

Yeah sounds like it, make sure you do as festy suggested above as it shouldnt corrupt that easily.