A place For General Chit Chat Etc
holden08

leds

Post by holden08 »

hi anybody know about led lights
holden08

Re: leds

Post by holden08 »

my mate put some angel aye led headlight in his car and you cant put a led Parker in because the angel eye ring wont work until you put a halogen bulb back in the Parker
charlay86
cars: VT S1 SS (L67)

Post by charlay86 »

Is the angel eye ring wired in series with the park light?
The LED park light bulb probably drops too much voltage for the angel eye ring to conduct (assuming the angel eye ring is using LEDs for illumination).
holden08

Post by holden08 »

yea id say its in series cause without a bulb it wont work id like to wire it in parallel but dunno if they do that to limit power to the angel eye
charlay86

Post by charlay86 »

can you measure the voltage drop across the halogen bulb when it's on? if the LEDs are in series then it will probably read about 8.5v (depending on the led type).
If that is the case you could wire in a resistor instead of the Halogen bulb, but it would have to be a 10w wire wound and it will heat up.
Another option is an LED driver circuit.
holden08

Post by holden08 »

oh ok i think the ring is ccfl my brother said the led wont let much current through like 20ma
charlay86

Post by charlay86 »

CCFLs require a high voltage inverter power supply which should (typically) be able to limit its own current draw, So i'd expect it be be ok without needing the halogen in series to limit the current. It will probably be a bit brighter without it too.