LS1 on a delco ? is it possible ?

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
Holden202T

LS1 on a delco ? is it possible ?

Post by Holden202T »

as the subject says, is it possible to run an LS1 on an 808 delco ?

obviously you'd loose sequential injection and would have to work out a way to get spark to it, but i was more wondering about the crank trigger side of things ?

the long and the short of it is, i have purchased a running (albiet a bit rattly) LS1 for $150, its basically a long motor with most sensors, but no wiring loom or PCM, so im trying to work out if it would be possible to use an 808 on it or if i should just go and buy a wiring loom and pcm for it ?

i have HP Tuners with credits so theres no problems with being able to tune it with that, i just figured if 808 would work i have all the required bits and more experience with tuning with it!

i'm opening the floor to all sorts of feedback/criticism :P
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Re: LS1 on a delco ? is it possible ?

Post by VL400 »

Nice score :punk: Whats the plan for the engine?

Nothing is impossible but would have to weigh up the costs of each vs what you want it for. You can get a dizzy conversion for the LS1s, with that its easy to run it on the '808 but the cost would be similar to a LS1 loom and PCM. The LS1 PCM is miles ahead of the '808 with a dizzy, but the '808 keeps it simple.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

not really sure at the moment but thinking maybe for the gemini down the track a bit once i've done the things i wanted to do with the 202....

as far as the computer goes the more i think about it the more im inclined to go with the stock pcm because i just need to get pcm, wiring loom and coils then im ready to go .... and like i said, i have the gear to tune it and there is plenty of people out there playing with mafless tunes in them so theres no issues there.

think i'll just keep an eye on ebay for a while and get all the bits i need and go with the stock pcm ....

the next question i have now is can you use an auto pcm and run it with something like a T400 auto ?
Apples

Post by Apples »

Yes you can use a auto pcm I buy them from the states and reflash them to manual.
I used a auto pcm flashed to manual in the Heat drag car.
I used the speedo sensor from a chev truck and changed the setting from manual 16 pulse to auto 40 pulse in tune for correct speedo.
so LS1 and turbo 400 works you have two ways to sort out converter.
I used a custom built high stall converter to work with LS1 flex plate in drag car.
I have used a TCI flex plate and adaptor and std T400 converter in a street car.
both ways worked and will work with T350 as well.

PM me if you need any info.
Don't make excuses. Make more horsepower.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

thanks apples, i like the sounds of that, pretty straight forward!
Six_Shooter
cars: 2005 Dodge Dakota - For Sale
2000 GMC Yukon - The Daily driver
1985 GMC Jimmy S-15 - Under reconstruction
1973 Datsun 240Z - Toy, uses GM EFI.

Post by Six_Shooter »

To run an LSx from an OBD1 Delco, you have a few options.

As said you can get a dizzy conversion and run that way, or the way I would look at going, run the Northstar DIS coil pack. It's not COP, but does retain DIS and waste spark.

Really, the most difficult part of an LSx running from an OBD1 ECM is the ignition, but with some ingenuity and time it can be made to work very well.

Another option would be MegaSquirt with the Ford EDIS system. I know, I know, I expect my 100 lashings for mentioning the MS on here, but it is an option, and with the advancements of the MS3, it's looking pretty palatable.
2005 Dodge Dakota - The daily
1985 GMC Jimmy - A work in progress
1973 Datsun 240Z - The Toy, turbocharged and injected using GM EFI, and code59

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

i've pretty well decided that everything is going to be too hard for no real gain (other than being able to use 808) so im going to find a loom and pcm from the LS1 and just go with the stock setup, it seems to work perfectly fine and i have the software to tune it so no real reason to try and re-invent the wheel, cause i think its going to be similar cost to use an 808 as apposed to the stock pcm anyways.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

im sure you all know what they look like but this is my starting point for the LS1.

nickcasio
cars: 1969 VF Valiant Regal 318ci

Post by nickcasio »

Would it possible to run an inductive pickup and a number of weights off the harmonic balancer and use a Camera ignition module to control the vacuum advance? I have an LS2 and i trying to solve the ignition problem aswell