Nissan 4.2 EFI to Delco

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
SirGollum
cars: Nissan GQ Patrol with Holden 304

Nissan 4.2 EFI to Delco

Post by SirGollum »

Hey Guys,

A mate of mine has supercharged his race truck (GQ Patrol with EFI TB42), and I played with the stock nissan ecu as much as I could to get a better result for him. Its all ok'ish, but really doesn't seem to have the options the Delco does...and hes now chasing more power, so the stock injectors / AFM / ECU etc just cant keep up.

Seeing as this is already a EFI motor, would it be easy conversion to whack a Delco on it ? Id really like to use the V6 ignition stuff if possible, but im assuming the 'cog' for the CAS would need to be fabbed up ?

Im really hoping that it would be a case of getting a loom / ECU / coils and sensors from a V6 and transplant onto the TB42, then just tune to suit.

Thanks

Glen
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Re: Nissan 4.2 EFI to Delco

Post by VL400 »

Yeah can really delco anything, just comes down to the difficulty level vs gain. Are the injectors high impedance? If you do upgrade them bear in mind the delco is only high impedance, low impedance will need a resistor box or driver circuit which generally wont let low impedance peak and hold injectors work as designed.

If the current dizzy is reluctor based then you can use a camira module, if its hall effect maybe a V8 module depending on the trigger wheel in the dizzy. There is also the US model DIS setup that uses an easier crank trigger setup compared the local V6 (uses the same VN series2 and later coils though) .. https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=128.
SirGollum

Post by SirGollum »

Ok, thanks very much, Ill check the injectors next time im over there, but I guess as the injectors will need to be replaced anyway, I could make sure the new injectors are high impedance. Does this restrict the type / size of injectors I can get in any serious way ?

My apologies for the ignorance, but would you mind giving me some tips on how to identify the different dizzy types ? Saying that making that crank trigger seems to be pretty easy.

Thanks very much for your reply!
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Generally speaking for nissan, injectors are probably going to be low impedance, and distributor optical. Neither will interface particularly well with a delco.

The v6 coil pack setup should be a simple enough and good conversion, then blank off the distributor, and as you say swap in some high impedance injectors. Have a look at the conversion we did on my mates nissan staight 6 L20 here, the same approach should work for you.

https://pcmhacking.net/forums/view ... f=16&t=998

If you can figure out the scale of the timing maps based on load how nissan do it, the same values could be read out with nistune and massaged in excel to fit $12p.

My mate has just bought a 1966 prince skyline with an RB20DET and after adding a consult port and getting it talking to nistune, I must agree $12p does look superior! I didnt realise how much I configured the dash and monitor views until I couldnt do it!
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
SirGollum

Post by SirGollum »

Nice Antus!

Fantastic starting point! Thank you!

The only sticky point now, is that my mate is really hoping to retain sequential injection, which unfortunately 12p doesn't have :(
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Yes, that is true you will loose it. It doesnt make a huge amount of difference however, and if your back yard tuning it'll be very difficult to time the injection pulses to squirt through the intake valves while they are open. However, since sequential offers only very marginal benefit over multi-port (slightly better fuel atomisation) under normal use you wouldnt even notice if you hit the back of the valve. Holden202 should be able to speak of his comparison between sequential and multiport as he converted an ecotec to an 808 for his Torana. I believe the result was that it run fine and had good economy and power.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah pretty much didn't notice any real improvement in economy over the proper ecotec pcm but power was definately alot easier to extract, and i don't know if thats just my knowledge of MAF v's MAP or just that the MAP setup is better for power or what, but i wouldn't have an issue recommended the non sequential.
SirGollum

Post by SirGollum »

Ok, awesome, thanks guys. Ill have a chat to my mate and see what he thinks. As its only a race truck, hes pretty happy to muck with most things.

If he decides not to go with the 808, would anyone have any recommendations for after market ECU's ? I really don't have much experience with them at all.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

well if its for racing i don't think sequential will even rate a mention!
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

If I wasnt going delco i'd go megasquirt, but im not speaking from personal experience. Just because they have a good community around it, and it seems to be infinitely flexible. But yeah, If It were my choice i'd go $12p on an 808. :lol: