the vn calais

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
The1

Re: the vn calais

Post by The1 »

Yeh i had looked at monster kits, didn't seem like good value for money, im only spending $300 more and got a heap more stuff.

The kevlar band isnt' that great, kevlar is pretty tough material, good for long lasting but the carbon fibre bands are better at gripping the drum surface apparently and the alto stuff has a pretty good rep, the widened band will have more surface area as well. You can reuse the reverse input drum though it's kinda like brake pads on discs, atleast inspect the drum with a flat surface and look for wear or hot spots. Im getting the wide band and new drum, the drum isn't that much extra, even though the existing drum has nothing wrong ill prob reuse it in my worn trans with the band that came out. The high rev pump kits are for 6000+ rpm so not sure if your going beyond that, you need to upgrade other components to run 6000+rpm safely anyway so it's a bit of waste. Most 4L60e's already have 10 vane pump, the 700R4 has 7 or 8 vane i think. Gotta ask what the 3-4 performance frictions are, there's no photos so no idea what material there using. The sunshell upgrade is a must, id go a sonnax with roller bearings though, new sprags are a must, hardened pump rings not sure, the ones in the pump i just pulled apart had no wear at all, perhaps for high rev applications.

Perhaps fix the weak points first, Servo's, Accumulators, Sunshell and sprag/roller elements, then have a look at this book which has all the fluid charts and what's enabled or held in what gear and work out the situations you will running high power the most and see what needs upgrading to get what you want, im guessing alot of 1-2 so band is important for start.
http://www.motortraders.net/store/item. ... MHM4L60ETG

How many km's has the trans got on it? might pay to do a teardown first if it's not in use to check planetary's and sun gears for wear, valves in the valvebody etc, i guess you need to look at your budget also, like anything it all costs lol and where do you call it quits.

Also send emails to all the trans places for quotes, soon see what's common what's recomended, whats not.
sprattzvx
cars: Vxl67
Ke30 2door

Post by sprattzvx »

krusty wrote:Nice parts list. I'd add all alloy accumulator pistons and suss out how to do a roller shaft conversion. Instead of having bushes input/ output shafts they would be on Torrington rollers. Just frees up negatives from thrust a tad. Also I'd be sleeving the beast too.

Ls1 tech forums has great info from one of their sponsors finish line transmissions regarding performance mods
yeah the ls1 forums are a great read. not sure about going too fancy with roller conversions, to be honest the trans only just ticked over 150k so the shifkit on its own would no doubt be fine. but using it with the 808 requires the full manual hd3 transgo kit with vac mod and overide for boosted apps. so i figure while ive got the chance i may aswell beef her up a bit, with the aid of three different 4l60e books and a build dvd that the1 hooked me up with some patience and attention to detail hopefully shell be ok. i plan to cane this setup hard been hanging to get to the local 1/8 strip for along time!
The1

Post by The1 »

It's hard to not be picky, but that's what ive found talking to many trans rebuilders now, the conception i have now from quotes, lots of feedback and forum reading is that a track tranny builder and a street tranny builder are two different things, having to deal with fluid pressures, friction types with torque apply in a tranny makes it impossible to build for dual purpose. A track trans will just burn up the frictions quicker with normal street use for a start. It needs to be built for the purpose and power you'l put through it.

With a L67 with extra boost and some track time then look at higher energy frictions for 3-4 and a shiftkit to lock them in quicker, good oil and a big cooler and replace the standard crap parts, sprags and sunshell for a start! The high energy frictions hold more torque but dont like heat. Then go from there with what you need to beef up the area's needed.

Im sure with the collective brain power here it'l go fine :thumbup:

So you found that dvd? he's a bit boring, but everythings spot on to the T.
sprattzvx
Ke30 2door

Post by sprattzvx »

finally ordered the trans bits. ordered the stage 3 full manual kit and vacuum bypass kit last week should be here soon i hope, and just ordered rebuild kit:

NEW COMPLETE TRANSTEC OVERHAUL KIT (FIBER PAN GASKET, PAPER, RUBBER, HARD SEALS AND SEALING RING KIT).
COMPLETE SET OF ALTO FRICTION LINED CLUTCH PLATES.
ALTO 3/4 CLUTCH 9 PLATE POWERPACK UPDATE KIT.
COMPLETE SET OF ALTO STEEL PLATES.
ALTO CARBONITE BAND.
COMPLETE CLEVITE BUSHING KIT WITH TEFLON PUMP BUSHING.
SPX FILTRAN OR ALLOMATIC TRANSMISSION OIL FILTER FOR REGULAR PAN OR DEEP PAN**.
NATIONAL 3/4 BONDED RUBBER MOLDED PISTON.
NATIONAL OVER-RUN BONDED RUBBER MOLDED PISTON.
NATIONAL FORWARD BONDED RUBBER MOLDED PISTON.

added to the order:
the "beast" heavt duty sunshell
corvette servo kit.
this covers most of the weak parts for a 350-400 hp trans build. considered the billet 4th gear servo, but decided its a waste as im not a speed demon, just like to launch hard so wouldnt see many 3-4 wot shifts.
monster trans was piss poor customert service. so all up cost me about 800 buckos in parts for what i hope is a sturdy trans.
chucked on the ss wheels just to suss em out, seem to suit the white over silver. about to solder in the usb comms board and install nvram to the 808 now the 14 hour shifts are over for a week :D pulling engine and trans from the vx wednesday. got my eye on a defillipo exhaust for vs which should work. just need 2 bar map and a few vs parts top rad hose etc and she can go in.
Attachments
PICT0617.JPG
PICT0617.JPG (122.65 KiB) Viewed 6007 times
PICT0620.JPG
PICT0620.JPG (114.63 KiB) Viewed 6007 times
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

looks 100% better with a decent set of wheels on it!
The1

Post by The1 »

looks much better, what's the vac kit cost?
sprattzvx
Ke30 2door

Post by sprattzvx »

The1 wrote:looks much better, what's the vac kit cost?
If you buy the stage 3 kit you get the vac modulation kit, or can buy it seperate for about 120 us. The bypass kit is 35 us. Interesting the price difference in aus the transgo stage 3 kit is nearly 500 bucks vs 235 us, the beast sunshell 130 aus 55 us. Im all for supporting the aussie speed shops and wotnot but thats a stupid price difference, what do they expect when they mark up prices that much.
The1

Post by The1 »

yeh same ere, can't justify double price increase, no competition, only people who usually build trannies over here are auto builders, there prob the part sellers to.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

one thing that annoys me is the aussie guys selling for so much more and they usually source them from he US anyways, in that case i agree, fuck the aussie seller thats just trying to rought us!
sprattzvx
Ke30 2door

Post by sprattzvx »

Holden202 wrote:one thing that annoys me is the aussie guys selling for so much more and they usually source them from he US anyways, in that case i agree, fuck the aussie seller thats just trying to rought us!
exactly.