Twin Cam GT Bellett

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Re: Twin Cam GT Bellett

Post by VL400 »

The new mount sure is solid :shock: And at the begining of the log the RPM trace is perfect. Can you make the slots any deeper? I dont think they need to be wider as that just dampens the reluctor response which you dont want. Will get some pics showing how the slot width changes the reluctor response.

For the Code 42, to start with check that the bypass wire (Pin D5, tan/black wire) is 0v at key on and engine off and 5V during engine run. Try and check at the ignition module end too if you can.
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

I think I was getting the same code when the crank trigger went out of sync. its solid and a huge improvement, but its not quite there yet :( theres some big spikes near the end. perhaps some deeper slots will improve the main signal enough to stop the vibrations interfering. if not, is there anything way up towards the top of the motor you can mount a stay back to the tip of the sensor mount?
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Was talking to delcowizid off line last night, and he suggested it might be heat. That could explain why it gets worse further in to the log, and how perhaps the module has taken damage (bypass line). I know in the 240z I mounted it to an original alluminium mount, mainly because it was convinent, but didnt realise it probably needed it for the heat sinking. This one is bolted straight on to edge of the engine bay. Perhaps were cooking it? Thoughts? If its likely I'll post of my spare unit, and it might need to be re-mounted.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
65bellett
cars: Subaru Outback, Holden Combo, 1965 Bellett Sedan, 1968 Bellett GT

Post by 65bellett »

Ant I was discussing the possibility of heat related issue with Ross last week when I was using the old bracket. I was taking the same test lap around the block every single time and it was starting to pop and fart at the same spot every time. I was checking the coolant temp as I thought it may have been some thing to do with it changing tune from running cold. It wasn't that but I think you may be on to some thing.
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

ours is bolted straight onto an aluminium module mount off a v6 commodore as is has the holes tapped in for hte coils, you may be onto somehting there ! perhaps go to pick part and pinch the v6 mount and use that as a better heatsink, msybe even some heat soaking compound under it to transfer heat too. the modules do get hot.
65bellett

Post by 65bellett »

On a side note while walking around Pinch a Part yesterday I managed to pick up fuel rail and 4 injectors from a JE Camira which I might try to adapt on to my manifold to make it a bit neater
20080d17.jpg
20080d17.jpg (169.73 KiB) Viewed 5374 times
d85c53b8.jpg
d85c53b8.jpg (166.41 KiB) Viewed 5374 times
Another thing that I noticed while looking for ABS sensors was that all of the Opel Vauxhall stuff like Vectra and Barina used the same plug as the VT Commodore sensor that I am using. The good thing about these units though was that they seemed to have there own plastic bracket which attached to to the calliper carrier and really supported the sensor. I was not able to get a real close look at them though as every thing including the brake calliper on these thing is held on with allen bolts and the only thing I hadn't brought with me was, yep my bloody allen keys :thumbdown:
65bellett

Post by 65bellett »

Hi Jayme could you please post a pic of how you have yours mounted?
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

this is about the best pic I have off it, its a screen grab off an early youtube video of it (jayme304 on youtube if you want to lool at them)

alll we did was took the whole mount off a v6, and just bolted the 4cyl pack up one end of it. ill take a better pic of it next time im up there.
datto_coil_mount.PNG
datto_coil_mount.PNG (510.56 KiB) Viewed 5881 times
65bellett

Post by 65bellett »

Cheers for that Jayme, I will try to get hold of one tomorrow.

How deep should my notches be?? I am going to pull every thing out again so I may as well make all of the notches uniform.
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

maybe vl400 would know how deep to cut them, but id say as deep as you want, double what you have should improve it a bit. also 2mm sensor gap.... that was about the edge of usable for us, our sensor is about 0.3mm away from the crank, just barely enough to see a sliver of light. can you file the holes out a bit on the mounting and move it a bit closer? everythign improves it :) even if you cant get a hold of a v6 mount quick, something big and aluminium to bolt it to, preferably with heat paste like a cpu uses would be a good test to see if it overheats and starts playing up, or if its somehting else on the engine getting warm and tapping through the mount or something.

on a differnet topic, Im a bit sus on your alternator, look at your battery voltage log, it goes a bit stupid its acutally the most unstable battery log ive seen, perhaps this isnt helping. and 15.4V is a bit steep :wtf:
65bellett-voltagelog.PNG
65bellett-voltagelog.PNG (7.63 KiB) Viewed 5864 times