VP Tuning Queries

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
v6bucket

VP Tuning Queries

Post by v6bucket »

I'm setting up a methanol tune for a VP Commodore for drag racing. At this stage the car is a stocker with a 65mm throttle body & the bell mouth removed & 2.5" exhaust with no cat convertor. In time the heads will come off for a little port work & compression increase, with a cam change down the track.
I've had a few issues getting the laptop to connect to the ecu, the same sort that I've had with the Dato( shows up "data error" in TP5) I can now get it to hook up but sometimes it will drop out with the engine running, sometimes after a 1 minute of logging, sometimes 15 minutes, then remove the USB cable from the laptop, plugin to another USB port then reconnect. I changed plug leads, wrapped the loom with foil, will change the coils next.
Then log below was a longer 1, I noticed that as soon as I connect, the "Knock Detected" is SET in the "Items List". I've unchecked the knock sensor settings in the Flags section but it still comes up even if the engine is idling. I don't have another sensor to try at this stage, so I can't try with a different sensor. Will this alter the timing with this flagged up?
tina9.xdl
(507.89 KiB) Downloaded 236 times
$12P-v111 TinaMethanol Base1.2.cal.bin
(32 KiB) Downloaded 249 times
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
Holden202T

Re: VP Tuning Queries

Post by Holden202T »

i just had a look at your tune, it looks like the cold engine boost afr tables are empty, just make sure they are populated before it goes on a boosted motor or it could end in tears!!
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

This tune is for a naturally aspirated VP Commodore.
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

all good then
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

I'm still having trouble with the "Knock Detected" showing up in the items list. What else could be setting this off? It may have something to do with why the "data error" happens. I also have been playing with the UC Torana the last couple of days, & I"m having the same "data error" pop up, also "knock Detected" show up & it doesn't have a knock sensor either. Does anyone have any ideas what might be happening?
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

could be as simple as a corrupt data frame... that can make flags go off that shouldnt.
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

Jayme wrote:could be as simple as a corrupt data frame... that can make flags go off that shouldnt.
Can you explain a little more, please.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

If the data frame has false/corrupt data TP may interpret it as a flag thats set - or lets say RPM is corrupt in the frame, it might show an RPM spike to 10k RPM for a split second while the engine is happily idling along.

However, the knock detected flag will always be set/cleared regardless of knock retard being enabled. Its purely an indicator that there were knock counts not that there was any timing pulled - this will show up in the logs as knock retard. To disable knock retard, which still leaves knock counts and the indicator working, just set the scalar "ESC params - Coolant temp enable" to maximum.
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

Thanks VL400, I checked out the "ESC params - Coolant temp enable" it is set at 151.25, I can lower the figure but unable to increase, so I imagine that is at the max.
VL400 wrote:If the data frame has false/corrupt data TP may interpret it as a flag thats set - or lets say RPM is corrupt in the frame, it might show an RPM spike to 10k RPM for a split second while the engine is happily idling along.
Is this something that can be rectified in the bin? Or is something that I have to put up with?
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Yep 151 degress is the maximum it can be set to. You wont get any knock retard now.

Its not a configuration or bin thing, its a serial data error - lets say the ECU sends the number 200 but along the way (could be anything from the data interface to the laptop software) it gets messed up and TP interprets it as a 10, the display you see will show something other than what is actually happening inside the ECU (such as an RPM spike or a flag set that is not really set/clear). TP does not check the data frame checksum (the ECU sends an extra byte that some software can use to confirm the data is valid), but you shouldnt really get data frame errors. Got a spare ECU to try?