Level 3 LCD screens

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
Streetholden
cars: VH, VK, VS, VU

Level 3 LCD screens

Post by Streetholden »

Hey guys, i picked up a level 3 cluster today. Was told it all worked fine. Silly me believed me. The LCD for the KMs is not working, meaning only 2 lines or such work, its not showing the rest. Is the LCD dead or something on the board?
The1

Re: Level 3 LCD screens

Post by The1 »

usually the rubber strip things that connect the lcd to board arnt giving it contact anymore, you can try pulling it apart and cleaning the strips but most of the time there degraded and need replacing, this guy might be able to provide replacements
http://www.level3patchlooms.com/index.asp
Streetholden

Post by Streetholden »

Thanks for the reply mate. Im hoping its a simple fix as i just spent $50 on this about 30mins before posting this.
Streetholden

Post by Streetholden »

Well i got around to taking it apart and having a look, Everything appears to be ok, just 2 LCDs arnt playing the game. One particaly reads and the middle does not display anything. Here are the sad photos.

I guess its not a standard little LCD screen is it? I need to buy a whole new cluster?..
The1

Post by The1 »

no there not standard lcd screens, if you pull that apart under the lcd's there is those contact pads i mentioned.
Streetholden

Post by Streetholden »

Which are you talking about?
The1

Post by The1 »

the rubber strips connect the lcd's to the tags. Swap the contact pads from the left working screen to the middle and right and see if they come good, to test and see if it's the pads or the lcd's
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (163.7 KiB) Viewed 4829 times
Streetholden

Post by Streetholden »

Thanks for the reply. I think its the LCDs that have had it, same deal. Ill have to buy another one, testing before i pay for it.
Streetholden

Post by Streetholden »

After doing some searching, its a VQ V6 LCD set up, would that make a differance in the VS? Mind you i wont be using the guages or anything, just the LCD set up. Thanks.
The1

Post by The1 »

no real difference in the trip computer, not sure if youve read this long thread, it has the information about it.
https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopi ... =13&t=1441