Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
Agroeureka
cars: 1935 Buick
Wm Caprice
Purvis Eureka

Best Ecu for Conversions

Post by Agroeureka »

Hi

I am presently collecting parts for a project and will be using a Delco Ecu.
I was going to use an Ecu out of an n13 pulsar but after doing some reading on this site and others I think that I may be better off with another unit.
The motor I will be using it on is a Vw 3.??Litre kombi block (air cooled) with a turbo. Would like to have direct fire coils for spark and knock sensor for each head.
Heads may be water cooled am presently investigating.
Will be revving to 7000rpm and will be intercooled will also like to have the Ecu controlling a water foggier cooling for safety.
Could any recommend an Ecu?

Thanks
Andrew
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Best Ecu for Conversions

Post by antus »

The n13 pulsar ecu is an 808 which is also the ecu in the VN/VP commodore, JE camira and others. If you engine is 4cylinder you'll need the right resistors on the chip to the tell the ecu its a 4 cylinder engine. A pulsar or JE camira memcal will do that, or if you decide to go realtime with one of VL400's realtime boards, you can set 4 cylinder with a jumper only. Knock sensors are hard for 4 cylinders as no 4 cylinder came out with one here. You might need to import the filters from overseas, but finding the right ones for the audio frequency of your engines knock and knowing what that frequency is hard. The '808 wont do water injection out of the box, although I hear VL400 has been working on some code that might allow for that. You can run wasted spark coilpacks, I think with jackaroo coil packs, someone would need to confirm though. I was going to do this but ended up going distributor as it was the path of least resistance on my 4cyl delco conversion.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Agroeureka
Wm Caprice
Purvis Eureka

Post by Agroeureka »

Hi

Thanks for that
I have already got an Ostrich real-time emulator from moates.net I used it on my last pulsar project.
With the new motor I am building I was going to run 8 injectors One in the normal position with a second on top of the inlet runner for each cylinder.
Now for dumb questions.
Are all 808 Ecu’s the same? (remember reading about different ALDL communication rates.)
How many injectors can an Ecu run?
How many knock sensors can be used? I remember reading about two being fitted to somthing.HSV rings a bell.
The knock sensor filter I was just going to use the ones in the v6 vn mencal. Was thinking of putting in a separate box.

Andrew
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Yes, all 808s are the same. Different batches look slightly different - different colour components and minor physical differences, but they are the same thing for our purposes. They will only do 160baud in their stock form, but the 8192 baud serial uart is in all the processors, so you can add an 8192baud serial link like this:

https://pcmhacking.net/forums/view ... f=11&t=173

Once that is added, then you need to install a program that can use it. OSE12 is a good well documented one to use.

Im not sure how many injectors an 808 can run, at least 8 i'd assume since they run V8s. I'd connect 8, but tell the ecu there is 4, and double the flow rate in the program.

The knock sensor is a piezo microphone, and the knock filter is an audio filter which lets through audio only at the exact frequency of the engine knocking sound. General same engine capacity is a guide to get close to start with, but to know for sure you'd need to run it, make it knock, and record what the microphone hears and then look at the recording in a sound program that can show you the frequencies in the sound, then you'd need to pick the knock correctly by eye (against all the background noise) and see its frequency. Then build I band pass filter to let only it though. Due to background engine noise the knock retard feature is automatically disabled above a particular RPM due to it being not effective. I cant see a reason why two sensors in parallel wouldnt work, but beware the gotchas with frequency and the limited effectiveness.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

2 knock sensors probably wont work on the 808 i just wired a vr ecu into a vs to do a turbo conversion and tried with dual knock sensors didnt work had to fit a single VR knock sensor just spat out knock sensor error codes with the 2 connected.the vs ecu runs 2 sensors in parrellel which are half the resistance of a vr sensor but the ecu is a pita to tune really.
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Agroeureka
Wm Caprice
Purvis Eureka

Post by Agroeureka »

Hi

Thanks for the replys
So are all V6 commodores 808's

Andrew
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

nope vn and vp are 808 VR is 082 for manual and 424 for auto the 082 is pretty much an 808 just has a highspeed aldl chip in it and has 8102 baud aldl data output instead of 160 baud like the 808.the 424 is a totally different beast it runs the electronic auto box then theres VS 672 ,728 etc ecu's they run the electronic auto and have sequential injection and have 3 ecu plugs not 2 and are MAF based not map
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

The '808s are generally all the same, I have heard of some early versions on camiras that missed out on the O2 sensor amplifier and apparently they do look the same externally. Just make sure you run high impedance injectors if you go down the '808 path.

For your water injection the soon (hopefully!) to be released OSE $12P code will have a function called flexible lookups. It gives 4 outputs that are user configurable for anything you want. For water injection you can set the table of one output as MAP vs charge temp and have it only spray when you want.

There are a few knock sensor filter boards (they live inside the memcal), the V6s all had one and only HSV V8s. There are certain US 4cyl vehicles that also used them. Setting the knock filter up is more about bore size than anything else. To run two knock sensors there is a calibration point to stop it throwing an error, but the early knock sensing is pretty basic and id be suprised if it actually worked - it may just increase the noise and be next to useless. The VS ecotec and later went to a far better system, however there is no factory 4cyl support.