WB injected 5 liter dramas

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
chocko
cars: WB One Tonner

WB injected 5 liter dramas

Post by chocko »

Hi
I have installed an injected VS 5 liter into my WB tonner but cant get it to run very well. When i try to start it its running really rich. I have tried numerous VN V8 memcals using 280 150 901 injectors with no luck.
Out of desperation i tried VP V8 memcals and 280 150 706 injectors with no change.I have changed various sensors with no change at all to how it runs.
The fuel pump runs at 3 Bar , and tried 3 different fuel pressure regulators .
I am using the original blue V8 dissy locked and a camira module. When i start the engine in diagnostic mode the base timing is around 40 Degrees,If it runs any less timing it wont even fire.
I have set the referance angle at 3.5 degrees. The wiring loom i made my self and it meters out correctly to the wiring diagram. If i disconnect any sensors the ECU will throw up a fault code but when all is connected i only have code 12 and the CEL doesnt stay on.
I am getting tired of cleaning plugs, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Chocko
yoda69
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual

Re: WB injected 5 liter dramas

Post by yoda69 »

Whereabouts are you located?
Sounds like need to modify spark reference angle on the memcal from 60 to 10 degrees as a starting point, then get a log to see if any DTC's and see what's going on.

Yoda69
chocko

Post by chocko »

Hi
Ref angle is set to 3.5 degrees as per Camira, dont have any datalogging at the moment.
Would have thought that a standard engine with standard memcal and ECU would be a no brainer !
Do i need to have the electronic speedo connected to the ecu ?
I have gone thru the wiring numerous times and all is good!
cheers
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

when you say the reference angle is 3.5 degreess is that on the dizzy or in the tune itself, Yoda is referring to the tune needing a setting change due to using the camira ignition module.

if on the other hand you have put the dizzy in 3.5 degrees advanced and not changed the tune at all thats most likely your issue.one thing you can try, put it in diagnostic mode and start the engine, that should lock the timing at 10 degrees and might give you an idea of whats happening.

the only other thing that could make it run really rich at idle is the map sensor signal.... but that is not easy to check without datalogging.
yoda69

Post by yoda69 »

Correct, standard memcal will only work with v8 efi distributor and ignition module. As you are using a different distributor and camira module the tune will need to be modified. A log is the only way to get a good idea what's happening and if all sensors look like they're behaving themselves. I'm not 100% sure, but thought coolant sensors for efi engines are different to the old carb engines, which one are you using?

Depending where you are located somebody on here can probably help out.
If you want you can send a memcal to me and I'll change in the tune to at least get you going, PM me for details.
yoda69
chocko

Post by chocko »

Hi
Thanks for the replies.
The reference angle was changed in the memcal.
I previously used this same ecu and ignition setup when i ran dedicated LPG with older blue heads, and could get the timing set at 10degrees in diagnostic mode no probs, but for some weird reason now i have put all of the EFI back on i cant get the motor to run with 10 degrees timing, it wont even fire. Currently in diagnostic mode the timing reads about 40 to 60 degrees advanced , and is very rich!
One interesting thing the motor doesnt try to kick back while trying to start with 40 plus degrees of timing !
I did have to put the efi cam back in and timed the cam with #1 cylinder at TDC and 9 link spacing between the dots on the sprocket on the right hand side of the motor looking from the front.
I actually pulled the timing cover off 2 days after putting the engine together because of a lingering doubt that i did it wrong.
Any ideas ?
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Something does not agree with the other by the sounds of it. What advance do you get while cranking? During cranking you should be getting 3.5deg of advance (same as the ref angle) if your dizzy is setup correctly. Providng the memcal is 100% stock other than a ref change when you set it to diagnostic mode the ECU controls spark but is a fixed 10deg advance below 2k RPM. If you have ref angle of 3.5 deg, cranking of 3.5deg and diagnostic advance of something other than 10deg your memcal needs to be checked.

If it wont kick on a few deg advance during cranking maybe it is a mechanical issue, have you compression tested it?
yoda69

Post by yoda69 »

Can you post up a copy of your modified bin? Only other thing I can think of is that the xdf used may not match the bin you tried changing.
Yoda69
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

can you confirm that the TDC mark on the balancer is true ?
chocko

Post by chocko »

Hi
Thanks for all of the replies.
Wont get a chance to play with the ute till the weekend to check a few of your ideas.
Compression is very good ,Checked TDC on the balancer with a dial indicator when installing the cam.
The coolant sensor is the EFI sensor.
Thanks for all of your help
Cheers chocko